Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

When do you feel the W/D's?

I took a 1/2 of a 10mg vic last night about 8:00pm, then another at 6:00am, same thing 1/2 of one, and now it has been 10 hrs and still feeling good, but when does the real suffering begin? I am new to this quitting thing. Before I would just get them eat them all in a few days and wait a week or so for my next one so no W/D's. Ever since the darn internet and all the oh so helpful doc's willing to give you scripts without seeing you I have had a plether of pills and never run out. Heck I still have about 200 of the 10's left and I just want off of these things. I am willing to do anything for my unborn child, except quitting smoking, can't seem to do that yet. One vice at a time. I just know this can't be this easy and I don't want to harm the baby with going CT but I wish I would feel like this the whole time, I would not eat another.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You are doing so good..  You are actually lowering your intake daily by just taking them before w/ds hit. Basically you are tapering.  

When going through this process just remember to NEVER up your mgs per day, just to lower until you are down to maybe taking .5mg before bed to sleep.

Once you get to that point trying taking .5 mg a couple hours before sleep so you can take your body out of the habbit of having them sleep slowly.

Keep going until you are totally off of them, you have made the biggest steps and I am inspired to hear you doing so well.

Do not look back, life is beginning!
Helpful - 0
I'ts always been about 10 to 12 hours for me. Hopefully you will have it easy. There have been a few times I think I should have exp. w/ds but didn't. But not I've been taking more and more and its my turn. Good Luck to you. You can do this.
Helpful - 0
Maybe the w/d won't be so bad for you. I know that you will probably go thru some but maybe not as intense as others. Think about calling your OB and just talking to them and see what they say. Have you got an appointment set up with your OB yet?
Helpful - 0
I have an appt with the nurse practitioner on Monday so I will discuss with her but I don't see the doc until the end of March. I might make another appt with him because I would rather talk to him than her about it since you only see the nurse once. Maybe being pregnant has boosted my chemicals in my brain or something. I didn't used to be able to go 4 hours without anything and I was taking 15-20 a day for the last 8 months. It could have also been me thinking I "needed" them. Who knows, if this doesn't get any worse I am not taking another one. We will see, I will post about that tomorrow.
Helpful - 0
I would tell the nurse practitioner, she might be able to squeeze you in to see the doc and you wouldn't have to wait till the end of March to see him. So happy to hear that you're still feeling ok... :)
Helpful - 0
You are doing awesome and I like your approach ... very cautious.

FYI - I started feeling w/d after about 12 hrs and they were in full force by 24 hrs.
Helpful - 0
11 hours and still ok, little anxious, I guess more jumpy than anything, but nothing crazy and no RLS!!! That was always when I knew I needed another. We will see. Thank you all for being here and answering my goofy questions. It has helped a TON just to talk about it. I feel like a crusader now and would beat the living daylights out of someone if I thought they were headed down this path. So not worth those short few hours of a high.
Helpful - 0
I was at 24 hrs two when the worst hit.  See how you feel but if it gets too bad for you, please call your OB...Did you say you just found out...you are about 5 weeks?  Please tell the nurse practioner...she has as much knowledge about this as the OB and will recommend a plan.  The moms we see at Prenatal testing go through a very non-invasive test called an NST...they put you on a fetal monitor and listen to the baby's heartbeat for a while and look for different things in the heartbeat...you go weekly and it is just to check for fetal well being.  You're baby will probably be fine but it is to give you peace of mind and you OB will have an idea what, if any measures need to be taken at the delivery. You wouldn't even start this until you are about 28 wks and if you are off the meds by then, even better...they may want to monitor you just because you have a history.
Helpful - 0
If you can go a week without w/d symptoms, trust me, you are not dependant on them at this time. You need to be honest with yourself though. If you were dependant on them you would be in acute w/d within 24 hours at least. My advice is to just stop now, before it becomes too late. Believe me when I tell you, if you don't, you will certainly become dependant on them sooner or later.
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for the advice. Yes, I am about 6 weeks right now; I am not going to do this CT so I will be taking 1/2 before bedtime so I don't wake up with W/D's and put the baby through unnecessary stress. I am hoping to meet with my OB sometime next week. I will talk to the nurse about it and see if he can fit me in.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.