Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Going Cold Turkey or Taper?

Hello All!
I have been a silent reader for awhile around here...I have been in a struggle deciding if its time for me to try to quit.
Background....I have been alternating Vicoden, Darvocet, and Ultram for about 4 years now.  I have am under a doctors care for Degenerative disk disease.  Also Rheumatoid Arthritis.
I don't take large amounts of any of the above.  maybe 1-2 pills in a day.  Vicoden 10/500, or Darvocet 100/650 or Ultram 2x 50Mg.
However I take them every day or evening for around 4 years.
I also take phentermine 37.5-  1 tablet daily for around 3 years.
(that is a INTERNET prescription)  Diagnosed by ME.  That is another issue in it's self.  I want to quit that too!
I want to try to clear my head.  I am not sure I can do that taking the above medications.  I feel if I don't take the meds I'll be in a lot of pain, I am in pain even with the meds.  I don't get a "feel good" feeling from them at this point, and if I take more than I listed above I feel sick.  However....I am used to putting those little pills in my mouth everyday.  I've tried skipping a day....and I can't make it with out panicking and running to the bottle.  I am feeling like it's making me irritable and depressed.  But what will I feel with out taking them?  Hell I'm sure.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The Secret- is really not a "Secret" but a way of life...It is pretty simple.  If you see your life a certain way, and treat yourself as a successful happy person---you can achieve it.  What you put out in the universe comes back to you.
We attract into our lives the things we want based on what we're thinking and feeling. We create our own reality and circumstances by the choices we make. Your thoughts determine your actions and choices
Helpful - 0
182775 tn?1209736027
The URL didn't work.

No, I just figured that out for myself.

GEORGE
Helpful - 0
I am not sure If I would be able to taper successfully either.  As in the past....when some other issue pops up....I look for a remedy.
Helpful - 0
Yeah- I'm sure it's a problem.  I just don't know how big yet. The second problem I have is that when I start to feel anxious.....I reach for the bottle- Vodka, wine, beer what ever.  I have addiction all in my family.
I have lost MANY loved ones and friends, overdoses, alcohol,  depression. I can't deal with my emotions very well.  I am doing this alone.
Can't tell anyone I'm kinda ashamed and embarrassed that they might think I'm weak.
But you know what ...I am.

The Phentermine.....  I don't take that because I'm over weight....it keeps me going.  I feel like with out it.....I would lay down and not get up.  Or should I say GIVE up? :0(
Helpful - 0
I am a little new at this and only 14 hours into it but so far no W/D or pains. You don't seem to be taking a lot and if you are only taking them at night around the same time you are already going 24hrs without them and if your body was addicted you would be feeling W/D's by then. If you really want off and you don't have the W/D's CT is the only way to go. Flush them, give them away throw them out the window on the freeway don't tempt yourself that bottle is sometimes heaven on earth for us and you will NOT be able to resist. I hope this helps and keep doing what you are doing, speaking out and admitting you have a problem is the first step. Take Care!
Helpful - 0
182775 tn?1209736027
When you (1) see yourself as a person who does not use and (2) deep in your heart you want to be that person more than anything else...you will succeed at quitting.

GEORGE

Helpful - 0
Oh my gosh.....I know that is so true.  Do you live your life by "The Secret"?
This is random- but Did you see Oprah?  about...
"http://thesecret.tv/The Secret"?

If not.... don't think I'm crazy.  It just makes sense.  Your advice goes along with that theory.
Helpful - 0
I *personally* can not taper -- CT (cold turkey) is my only chance - I cheat too much BUT, I do enjoy the feeling of the meds - which led to my problem in the first place.

For you - since you are taking for legit pain, and not taking to enjoy - I think you are an ideal canidate for tapering.

You mentioned taking '1-2' pills daily. Let's give you a high dose, and say 2. Take 1.9/~1.8 pills a day for a few days (or as how little you can cut them)... then cut back the smallest amount you can divide them every 3-4 days. Yea, it may take a month or so - but you can get the result you are looking for, with a very small chance of WD.

I'm not an expert - but I'd guess this would be your safest bet. :)
Helpful - 0
also you should know I am not stranger to "Drugs".  Before I had Children - approx. 12 years ago.  I have taken most everything under the sun.  LSD, Crank, Coke, Pot, x, Uppers -downers a lot of substance abuse in the past.  
I have been taught if something is wrong......Self Medicate!
Well I've come along way from those drugs.....however Is still have the same mentality.  I am used to taking these medications.
What Should I do to try life with out these medications?
I know I'll be in pain, but if I can tolerate the pain....Will the horrible Mood swings change or get worse?
I have 3 little ones.  I am concerned about them dealing with my "grumpy" with drawls.  
How should I begin?

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.