Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

curiosity about addiction ?

I am just curious....I have been a frequent visitor to the forum after finding it through the anxiety forum.  I post occasionally when I feel like I can help, but I am not an addict, so I try not to overstep.  I am a nursing student very interested in the psychology of addiction.  In my studies about chronic pain management last night, there was a section about how some patients might be concerned about addiction, and balk at prescribed opiates.  It stated that health care professionals are supposed to counsel patients about how UNlikely it is to become addicted when taken as prescribed for legitimate pain.  It further stated that there is a difference between tolerance/dependance and addiction.  It differentiated these by a psychological factor....the desire to "get high".  In reading the posts, I am guessing that a few people would disagree with this.  How blurred is the line between dependance and addiction for you guys, and how easy does the former become the latter?  Thanks, guys, and I do pray for all of you.....creek & all trying so hard--I am proud of you....keep it up!
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I can honestly say that with tolerance comes addiction. As the brain see it there really isn't a difference. We all started taking these for legit reasons and ended up taking them for a long period of time. With that comes the tolerance then one day you feel better, no more pain and you stop taking the meds. And you will never experience anything like it, the W/D's are horrible!!! Have you ever seen someone on TV trying to kick a heroin habit?? Well, that is exactly what this is and the same symptoms. And nothing will take that away but more opiates...so you get more, and more and there you have it...addiction. So the line is very, very thin and they are very addictive.
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the site........

Nursing is a good thing my sister has been a nurse for 22 years and she makes a lot of money.......

If you want to understand an addict that is complicated.
Cognitive Thinking class is probably your best bet in college,,,Distorted thinking etc.

Why does this fascinate you to know??
Helpful - 0
I too was taking hydrocodone for legitimate pain/back surgery/herniated discs. As soon as I started self-medicating, I thought I could handle it...I think deep down inside I knew what i was doing but was in denial...I can quit...I'm not like the rest of those addicts....WOW was I an idiot!  I'm 44 and NEVER had an issue with addiction until 2 1/2 yrs ago when I started on this rollercoaster! I smoked pot/did cocaine/mushrooms/LSD (Hated it!)/ crank/Drank but it was all recreation!  Needless to say, what a shocker when this happened to me....So many stories, different yet we all have the same issue!  I also believe it is genetic to a degree. Have an alcoholic father and sister! What do you think?
Helpful - 0
This post was meeant for you!
Helpful - 0
I agree with Marcie, I believe some of it is genetics. I alcaholic parents. My daughter has drug addicted parents and She likes certain feelings allready. We monitor what she gets and how much. She has seen what I have went through comming off the drugs, she wasnt around while i did them, and she and I talk about it every day. I thank God for her, she keeps me sane and when I feel like giving up she tells me I can do it and that she loves me. By the way shes 15. How does one become addicted, like stated alot of people become addicted to the opiates for legit reasons, my sister in law had a major surgery on her shoulder, they sent her home on oxys, after 3 days my mother took them form her and would only give her vics. She did this because by the beginning of the 3rd day she was getting mean and nasty 1 to 2 hours before her dose was due and demanding more and more. Now that was just in 3 days, can you imagine someone who the Dr gives them to for a year or more? How hard would it be for them to stop taking them? thier bodies are then used to working everyday with that substance in it. So when it isnt there, the body and mind togetherfreek out, so to speak. The same is for like my problem, cocaine, i used to to self medicate, only i dont like to be down, i wanna be up. just a differant choice of drug, same end result, instead of treatment to deal with the problem, i used a drug to make it go away, it was not physical pain, but mental. It can be just as hard on you. So, I hope that helps you understand. Those of us that became addicted to something are classified by dr's with an addictive personality. I dont go for that either, Its all about circumstance, some are just more likely to get addicted than others and Thats where we bleieve the genetics come into play.
Helpful - 0
I don't think it's a matter of blame! I never blamed my dad! This is totally my fault, however, I do think one is more prone to have an addictive personality if it runs in the family...just like mental illness is genetic.  We all have our opinions but was not trying to place the blame on anyone! I take full responsibility, just because it may be in our genes, I'm not saying we have to act on it.
Helpful - 0
Sorry, didn't finish my thought. I believe we are all born with free will so I totally take full responsiblility for my predicament...I wish to God I didn't like the high! I don't think any of us are playing the blame game!
Helpful - 0
I don't think it runs in the genes for everyone...maybe some. I know that it doesn't for me. Both of my parents weren't into drugs or drinking. I too started taking them for medical reasons, and the line is a very  thin teadeous one to becoming addicted. It's not hard. As for some of the doctors in the world today, they seem to be all too willing to go ahead and write a prescription rather than to actually sit down and discuss what's going on. It's easier on them, they can get more people in and out the door and make more money. I'm not putting all the blame on doctors, but some of it. They know. It is my fault that I got addicted to my pills, not anyone elses. I'm on my 5th day, and I woke up this morning wishing I had just 1/2 of a pill. The feeling is passing, slowly - but it's still there. This is the first time I've been craving one since last Saturday, and the craving really isn't that bad. My w/d symptoms come and go...they don't last long and they keep getting further and further apart. Maybe I need to go jump up and down for joy! lol Hugs!
Helpful - 0
I guess we all just wish we could understand why we are different and can't say no...I know I do!  Yes, it is like a mini vacation, isn't it...pretty sad...I think I'll try a day trip to the Jersey shore instead!

Roofus4...way to go...5 days is great. That is about when I started to feel really good...but it came in waves. The good seems to stay longer and longer with each passing day.  Keep the faith in yourself!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the insight.... I would be interested in going into addiction/psych nursing....but I need even more schooling for it.  The main reason I am so interested is because I could SO easily have become an addict.  I have a very addictive personality--used some recreational pot & things got away from me....and they say THAT'S not even addictive.  I had a situation many years ago with a cocaine-addicted b/f who offered me some.  I had resisted for so long, but was in an adventurous mood, and agreed to try it.  He went to get it, and came back and said he didn't have any after all.  I found out later that he was trying to protect me.  I am grateful, because I really think I would have loved it, and my life would have taken a DRASTIC turn.  I just see myself in a lot of you........now I have panic attacks, and that prevents me from taking ANYTHING, since I'm paranoid about side effects.  In a way, that had saved me....I loved being stoned.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.