Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Am I Addicted Already

Hi,
I had a hip replacement on January 22nd.  I have been taking Loratab 10mgs now for 5+ weeks.  It's time to stop them and I seem to be having a hard time doing so.  I'm down to 5mgs but I get dizzy, irritable, squirelly (is that a word?).  I don't really know HOW to wean myself off -- I was down to 1-10 mgs every 8 hours, but then after a follow up with my surgeon this last Wednesday, he told me to cut back, so immediately I cut back to 5 mgs every 4 - 6 hours.  That's just not doing it.  I really should have asked him and found out wheter or not he's going to give me another refill but it's now Saturday and I can't call him today about i.  I will on Monday but in the mean while, do you all think I should just go back to 10mgs say every 8 hours and start over again and work up to one every 12 hours, then cut back to 5mgs?  I'm probably not making much sense.  LOL  I'm not really in pain anymore, I'm just freaking out here.  Thanks.  
StuckInWoods
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
you havent been useing very long cant you just go c/t and just have couple bad days
Helpful - 0
My 78 yr old mother had a knee replacement 2 yrs ago and they gave her ES Vicodin 7.5 She was on them about 4 weeks and she takes her medicine by the book as prescribed...they gave her no more refills after that and told her to take ES Tylenol and Motrin.  She kept saying to me that she felt funny...not sick just "at loose ends". I took that to mean disoriented and a little depressed. My mother has never taken a drink, never had a drug problem...I told her that she was probably getting addicted.  She just laughed (being an addict myself, I know those were the w/d she was feeling however slight they may be.  Thank God she never went back.  Just 6 wks ago badly broke her wrist...had to have plate and pins inserted...more Vicodin...she took them for 4 days and having the good sense she said, I think I will stop these things....I don't want to feel bad later!  God I wish I had my mother's strength and commone sense. Sorry to go on but just wanted you to see how easy it is to become addicted!  Stop now if you can  c/t! It will be worth it for you because this addiction will sneak up on you. Peace, and I'll pray for you.
Helpful - 0
149087 tn?1258453820
If you arent in pain anymore and are still taking the pills then it sounds like you are beginning the addiction way of things. Since you havent been taking them for very long, I would suggest to stop now. I dont even think tapering would be a good idea for you since it would just be fueling your body to more narcs. If you dont feel any major w/d effects like the sweating and diahrrea (sp?) but you feel anxious. Maybe you could try and take some valerian root extract to calm your nerves. At first I was going to say try to get xanax or something like that, but that is addicitng too, so I would try the valerian root. I did and its a calming feeling. It doesnt hit you all at once, but it did work for me at the time being.

Hope this helps, if not sorry
Take care and have a good night,
Aurora
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.