Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Believing.

Everyone believes in something and every man, woman and child  is entitled to believe in what they want to. Their beliefs may not be as yours, and you should respect their beliefs as you would want them to respect yours. No one has the right to tell others what they should or should not believe in. Wars have been started over religious beliefs by those who were determined to force their will on others. What I believe is my right, as yours is to you. It always starts small and then suddenly gets out of hand. We are here to solve personal problems with addictions, withdrawals, paranoia, anxiety etc. Religion has no place here as it causes feelings that are enhanced by our pain. When you mix the two you are stepping on someones toes whether you are pro or con. I am not taking anyones side in this. I am merely saying that we should stick to what we came here for and that is to find a way out of the darkness that was brought on to us either by choice, or through medical help.I may be an agnostic, a deeply religious person or an atheist but you will never know because it personal and I will not use it here one way or the other. I have found what I was looking for here and it has helped me through. I thank you all for the kind words and help that gave me victory. That is what we should stick to here and that is helping each other get through it......             Mannie
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I totally agree....don't know how this turned into a religious crusade!! That was certainly not my intent! Everyone does have a right to their beliefs and I have never said or believed otherwish!!! This is a place to go for help and compassion and fighting does not belong here!  Things only escalate and get totally out of hand as I displayed last night!  
Helpful - 0
Careful - saying things like "Religion has no place here" is likely to get you into a discussion that has no benefit and only results in vicious attacks against you.  To be fair, that was only one person, but it's a "leader" and someone everyone here seems to look up to and agree with.

Most people here absolutely DO believe that religion has a place here!
In fact they feel that is the only way they can conquer their addictions.

People who do not share these views are not likely to be very welcome here, dare they express such views, and regardless of how respectfully they do so.

Just my $.02 on my way out the door - for what it's worth!

Peace
/D
Helpful - 0
I'm asking nicely to please stop this!!! Let it go!
Helpful - 0
I understand what you are trying to say, but not everyone is placing their cure on religious beliefs. There is a time and place to practice whatever you believe in. I sought the help of those who were involved in the problems of withdrawal. Through them I managed to persevere. I have occasionally said. "God bless you," etc. but it was not in a religious content. It was no different than saying "Thank you" or saying"Bless you," when someone sneeze. These are automatic responses that pop up onexpectadly. You say that most of the people here use it as a"Leader" etc. I have pored through many of the posts and find that there are few but not all by any means. When I wanted to withdraw I looked here for support and the wisdom I needed from  those who had, or were having the experience. Withdrawal is a human thing with human emotions and human needs that can only be helped with human hands and human minds. As far as I am concerned you have every right to believe what you want but do not attempt to force it at me or anyone else who is not interested. If people want to say thing's like"With God's help." or "Thank you Lord," etc. that is their right but I do not have to follow suit and I do not need anyone to preach to me in that vein nor does anyone else. Each person carries their wishes, religious or otherwise, usually in their hearts and  minds and do not attempt to convert or dun others into their beliefs. If you want to believe publicly ,that is fine, do so, but do not try to force it on others because it will only cause friction which is defenitely not needed here.
Helpful - 0
I understand what you are trying to say, but not everyone is placing their cure on religious beliefs. There is a time and place to practice whatever you believe in. I sought the help of those who were involved in the problems of withdrawal. Through them I managed to persevere. I have occasionally said. "God bless you," etc. but it was not in a religious content. It was no different than saying "Thank you" or saying"Bless you," when someone sneeze. These are automatic responses that pop up onexpectadly. You say that most of the people here use it as a"Leader" etc. I have pored through many of the posts and find that there are few but not all by any means. When I wanted to withdraw I looked here for support and the wisdom I needed from  those who had, or were having the experience. Withdrawal is a human thing with human emotions and human needs that can only be helped with human hands and human minds. As far as I am concerned you have every right to believe what you want but do not attempt to force it at me or anyone else who is not interested. If people want to say thing's like"With God's help." or "Thank you Lord," etc. that is their right but I do not have to follow suit and I do not need anyone to preach to me in that vein nor does anyone else. Each person carries their wishes, religious or otherwise, usually in their hearts and  minds and do not attempt to convert or dun others into their beliefs. If you want to believe publicly ,that is fine, do so, but do not try to force it on others because it will only cause friction which is defenitely not needed here.
Helpful - 0
I understand what you are trying to say, but not everyone is placing their cure on religious beliefs. There is a time and place to practice whatever you believe in. I sought the help of those who were involved in the problems of withdrawal. Through them I managed to persevere. I have occasionally said. "God bless you," etc. but it was not in a religious content. It was no different than saying "Thank you" or saying"Bless you," when someone sneeze. These are automatic responses that pop up onexpectadly. You say that most of the people here use it as a"Leader" etc. I have pored through many of the posts and find that there are few but not all by any means. When I wanted to withdraw I looked here for support and the wisdom I needed from  those who had, or were having the experience. Withdrawal is a human thing with human emotions and human needs that can only be helped with human hands and human minds. As far as I am concerned you have every right to believe what you want but do not attempt to force it at me or anyone else who is not interested. If people want to say thing's like"With God's help." or "Thank you Lord," etc. that is their right but I do not have to follow suit and I do not need anyone to preach to me in that vein nor does anyone else.  
Helpful - 0
Sorry about the triple post. I inadvertantly kept pressing the enter key when my budgie bird attacked my hands. He hates it when I type and sits on my fingers when I do. He needs all my attention, or else. If I don't play with him he sulks and chatters away at me giving me proper heck.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.