Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
52704 tn?1387020797

GOD a/k/a Higher Power

There seems to be a lot of back and forth on here about what is/isn't the real deal about God.

Hmmm.  Not good.

I've been to a lot of AA and NA meetings since my last use (which will be 21 months ago in 3 days) and I have NEVER heard such argument.  In the Recovery Community there is a very clear message that coming to believe in a power greater than yourself is an essential element of Recovery.  Beyond that, it is left up to each individual to come to their own understanding of "God, as we understand him" or "their Higher Power."

It is not a thing to argue about.  Argument, especially about someone else's Higher Power, is incompatable with Recovery.  I would be quite suprised if my God was exactly the same, or even very similar, to the God of anyone here or in the Rooms.  That's as it should be - it's the God of MY understanding that helps me Recover, not the God of YOUR understanding.

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I second this!! Said so much better than I did...lol

it was you that stole my words...CAT lol *grins*
Helpful - 0
190466 tn?1215884854
i feel the same way,right on 21 mths great thanks clay
Helpful - 0
YOU SEE? THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS HERE...NOW THAT POST WAS IN RESPONSE TO ALL THE BULLSHIT...HOWEVER...THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART CATUF!!  BECAUSE WHEN I READ YOUR POST...SOMETHING CLICKED!!!!  

I know it wasn't even directed towards me, I already put my 2cents in, BUT when you explained that like you did.  I GET IT!!!!  I DON'T FEEL LIKE I AM WRONG ANYMORE!!!!!  I always thought that is the way it should be, but we waver from that beleif that EACH of us has a special relationship that can be like NO OTHER, with our higher power.

YOU amaze me and this forum amazes me and if there isn't a higher power working here, i'll be monkeys uncle.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.