Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

NEED HELP...please

ok, most of you know me around here. i went c/t a few weeks ago and did good. managed to get up every morning at 6am to drive b/f to work, even during the w/d's. now i went to the dr. and we mage a taper plan. so i basically started all over agian last wednesday.
so heres my question?
i take a pill every morning when i get up, no matter what time i get out of bed. i know this is habit for me, and dont have to take right then. but i keep doing it none the less. if i didnt have the taper pills i would be able to get up and function w/out them, may not feel the greatest but can do it.
so how do i break this habit??? i feel like i'm wasting a pill every morning. i know i can go a few hours before taking my 1st dose for the day, yet i take it anyways. i'll tell myself the night before i wont do it in the morning, but i do regardless. i dont know if this is addictive behavior or just habit.
can anyone please advise me????

Thanks,
Tink
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Tink,

I started my taper today and the first thing I decided was to not take my morning pill. I think that is the pill I enjoy the most. I don't know why, probably because there is nothing in my stomach and I have been off for 8 hrs (sleeping). I have never seriously tapered before and this is all new to me. I think you have done really well on your taper and have been an inspiration to me. I do have to admit that the first thing I want in the morning is my coffee and then my pills. Why don't you hold off just two hours before you take the morning one. I know when people quite smoking that the hardest one to give up is the morning cigarette. I am here rooting for you and I think you are such a strong person.

Warmest wishes,
Mariyah
Helpful - 0
Turn on you IM
I can share some techniques that have worked well for me and others (redirection/distraction).  Or you can search my posts last week, I detailed the technique for someone else (Creek perhaps).  It does work surprisingly well and is based on the way the mind works.
Peace
/D
Helpful - 0
Hi there,
Boy your problem sounds just like mine.  If I dont have a pill to do in the mornings, just as soon as I get up, I might as well go back to bed.  That first morning pill is the one that wakes me up and gets me going.  If I dont have it, Im worthless.  I honestly believe that its habit and when you break that routine your whole day is messed up.  Im trying to quit now and I have no reason to get out of bed in the mornings.  So dont feel lonely...your not the only one that has this problem !!!  But good luck none the less !!!  I really do hope that you can break this habit.  It will be hard, but if you really want to, I believe that you can.
Helpful - 0
I got myself on a night schedule very earlie in my taper. Taking the largest dose right before bed so I could sleep through the night.

Helpful - 0
goodmorning!!!...as far as not taking the morning pill,the only thing i can suggest is change your morning routine...get out of bed on the OTHER side...if you shower at night, do it in the morning...or maybe let your boyfriend take them with him to work...and when you are ready for the day...go and get from him...i dont really know...thst morning thing is a hard habit to break...but i know you can do it if you truly want to!!!..

hope your day goes well...keeping you in my thoughs and prayers...love, natasha
Helpful - 0
I'll offer an idea for you to ponder, with several disclaimers to avoid anyone becoming offended that I might have an opinion that differs from theres:
1: I'm not a doctor, 2: What works for me may not work for you, 3: This is what I BELIEVE TO BE TRUE, I make no claims about OTHER IDEAS being wrong or ANY statement of my belief being objective fact.  (Yeah it's sad that I have to prefix  an attempt to help people with this)

Consider this: In your mind, you tell yourself "in the morning I take the pill or I don't take the pill".  You WANT to NOT take the pill, but you are giving yourself only 2 options and using a NEGATIVE statement in an effort to force your subconscious mind in allowing you to "NOT" take the pill.

Many scientific experiments have shown that our minds don't tolerate negative commands very well, if at all, and by no means are they anywhere near as effective as positive commands.  Instead of "DON'T DO THIS" your brain(subconscious actually) would much rather you gave the command "DO THIS".  So while you're saying "I'm NOT GONNA TAKE THAT PILL" your subconscious says "WANNA BET?", whereas if you said "I AM GONNA TAKE THE PILL, JUST NOT YET, NOT NOW, BUT LATER", your subconscious acquiesces and you can continue.

The second aspect of this is that by using "positive postponement", your subconscious also allows you to focus on something OTHER than that damn pill.  If you say "I'm NOT taking the pill" - what do you think about?  THE PILL.  If you say "OK I'LL TAKE THE PILL - BUT AT 11 AND NOT 8" your mind will eventually allow you to focus on OTHER things.  Thus - DISTRACTION - and when you DISTRACT your mind, before you know it, it's 12 and you're through the morning without taking the pill.  

NOW - Don't take MY word for it.  As some compassionate soul here has pointed out I'm just a junkie struggling to get clean just like you - what the hell do I know anyway?  PROVE IT TO YOURSELF!!!

Try THIS:  Take 2 seconds and try this - clear your mind first if you can.

Ok ready?   DON'T THINK ABOUT PIZZA

Can you do it?  No?  What was the FIRST thing you thought about?
Was it pizza?  Why?  You CLEARLY commanded yourself to NOT think about it.

(continued)
Helpful - 0
The concept I was describing is what I call "redirection/distraction", and uses positive commands to postpone the mental craving and focus of attention.

Focus of attention and perception is your reality.

Negative commands result in undeniable focus of attention (as with the pizza thought experiment).

There is a wealth of scientific research into this, and hopefully you can see for yourselves that it's real.  It does work, I use it myself, for whatever that's worth.

So Tink I hope you're out there reading this - because it was NOT easy for me to submit another post here.  I did it because I care more about you and helping you through than I do about avoiding any contact with certain induhviduals here.

Like you and lag I ALSO took a pill & several beers EVERY MORNING for the past 1.5 years.  EVERY MORNING - like clockwork.  It was STILL, even WITH my technique, VERY difficult to break that habit. (My technique is not magic, it's still difficult)  But honestly I never DID break anything, I just moved it further and further out into the day.  Some days I took it at 10 instead of 8, sometimes 12, but each step I postponed a little further.  Kinda like tapering while you're tapering.

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE YOU CAN DO IT - That's why I took the time to write to you.

I hope this helps and I hope that YOU BELIEVE you can do it too.

Peace
/D

Helpful - 0
One last note - in case I haven't rambled on long enough already.

Since my other posts were rather techical(ie; dry) and scientific, I have a more real-life suggestion.

At night before bed, give yourself a suggestion but use ONLY positive thoughts.
Say, "it's ok if I take a pill, I will take a pill, later in the morning after I've been up for a couple of hours I'm going to allow myself that pill".  Also follow with "I need not feel guilty if I take the pill no matter what the time".

Try to do this before bed.

When you wake up, and think about the pill, tell your subconscious mind "Ok Ok Ok I'll take the damn pill, I promise I'll take it, (yes talk to yourself as if you are two people), but I'm going to take it later this morning because I have some important shiat to do first".  Keep saying "Yep I'm gonna take it and it's gonna feel soooo good".

That is Step 1: Redirection(postponement)

Ok now, immediately following that, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO DO, do NOT sit around watching tv or doing nothing.  You'll torment yourself about the pill. You have to give your mind a REASON to focus your attention elsewhere.  Otherwise an hour is an eternity and failure imminent.

That is Step 2: Distraction

Make sure you can keep busy with stuff, and make sure you're using positive commands to your subconscious. Before you know it, you're looking at the clock and it's noon and you made it.

Oh - and you might be thinking "Well that's great for 1 day but if I try that shiat more than once I'm already gonna KNOW that I have no real intention of taking it and my subconscious won't believe it!!!"

Shockingly this is NOT the case.  The subconscious is NOT the rational mind nor does it have left-brain logic. It knows about instinct and very primitive commands.  You would be AMAZED just how far you can take this - TRICKING YOUR MIND is so easy and so absolutely proven to work.  Look into it further and you'll really get a picture for why addicts get here.  "Moist robots" as Scott Adams says.

GOOD LUCK - if you need me you have my IM and email.
Peace
/D
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the post.  I think this is an option for me. I'm all about tricking my mind into anything right now.  No, I'm kidding, I get what you are saying and I am glad you shared it.  I haven't been feeling so strong.

How are you feelin?
Helpful - 0
Hey- Yeah I've seen that you're struggling with several things the past couple of days.  I would really like to chat with you privately, this public posting thing isn't for me.  When I saw Tink's post this morning, and yours, I couldn't help but say a word (or several hundred LOL) and I was just about to throw a reply out for you as well.  If you can IM, I really would like to chat with you about some ideas that I think are really hurting you and ones that can try that might help you.

As for me- I'm at day 7 and will be finished tapering no later than Friday.  I'm already almost an hour late for my first half pill this morning and guess what? I ain't taking the farking thing.  Feel too good.  And get this shiat, I keep telling myself "I'll take it in another hour" LOL  

IM me Sweetheart - I'm DAnthrope on Yahoo/AOL/AIM/MSN.  
(DAnthrope - as in David Anthrope, me, not Dan ;-) )

Peace
/D
Helpful - 0
I tried your e-mail...didn't work
Helpful - 0
Try ***@**** - the free ones get filled with spam and they shut them down (or something).

Can you IM?

I was hoping to chat with you, Tink, Oxy, maybe a few ppl I've talked with here.

/D
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.