Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What about Work?

So I suppose I'll find out the answer to this myself, but I thought maybe someone here has had similiar exerience as mine and could possibly offer some advice.
   I'm a 27 year old male. I started taking pain pills in 2003, for chronic kidney stones. I resolved the stones problem in 2004, but couldn't quite kick the pill problem. I had started to enjoy them by then, and I had no experience with anything so addictive. In early 2005 I started taking Suboxone, but after 2 years of that I found that it was just an easy excuse not to quit. I moved away from my doctor, and since have continued to struggle, as I found the area I currently live pills are very accessible, and unfortunatley, very expensive.
   This all leads to where I sit today. I am out of pills, and I'm sick and tired of the ball and chain. I'm also deathly afraid. I've taken a Darvocet a day, which has seemed to help with the more serious W/D's, but I didn't sleep last night, and today I have the chills and restless legs. I took my last darvocet this morning, and am now deathly afraid. I can't really afford to miss much work, but as I am normally on a roof for extended periods of time, I'm afraid I can't afford to risk working either. I was down to 1/4 of a 2mg Suboxone before I moved, and have forced myself to take really small doses; 2 10mg hydros will get me through a day.
    I am hoping someone has been through the ordeal, and I'm hoping that I've tapered enough to continue working. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am a hydro user and as of right now in my third day c/t. I like you have or in your case had chronic pain, I run out almost everytime and have to go thru these damn w/d once a month. I think about trying to find more some how but never reach that point and suffer until I get my next script. The best thing I have found out is drink lots of liquids , gaterade mostly, vitiam c and keep busy I know its hard but if I keep going I feel a little better,when I stop thats when I get the crappy feeling. Nights are always hard, I don't like taking sleeping aids, so usually I suffer for 2-3 days and finally I'm so tired I crash and start to sleep better each night.Its diffituly a time thing, everyday gets better and sometimes thats not so true because I have had crappy days after I thought I was better.The docs are looking into other solutions in my case because I hate the damn things, but love that feeling.Hang in there, it get better.  
Helpful - 0
   Thanks for the info. I'm finished this time. The timing definatley sucks, but I have a beautiful woman who makes me want to be a better person, and when's a better time than when I've run out anyway? I've gotten so low in my dosage that I really think my W/D's won't be as bad as some, or as bad as they used to be when I'd first tried to quit a 200mg a day habit. This board has been really helpful, though when I tried to take a multi-vitamin it just destroyed my stomach. Vitamin B seems to agree, but not the vitamins. I can't afford the other stuff in the Thomas diet yet, but I'll look into them. Thanks for the support. -Ethan
Helpful - 0
   Thanks for the info. I'm finished this time. The timing definatley sucks, but I have a beautiful woman who makes me want to be a better person, and when's a better time than when I've run out anyway? I've gotten so low in my dosage that I really think my W/D's won't be as bad as some, or as bad as they used to be when I'd first tried to quit a 200mg a day habit. This board has been really helpful, though when I tried to take a multi-vitamin it just destroyed my stomach. Vitamin B seems to agree, but not the vitamins. I can't afford the other stuff in the Thomas diet yet, but I'll look into them. Thanks for the support. -Ethan
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.