Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Someone with Suboxen experience please

Can all of you who got suboxen from the doctor tell me what you had to do to get it? I need it for detox, I keep slipping and that is the only thing I think will help. I'm just scared to go to the doctor. I don't want to pay a ton of money, I do have insurance. I just don't want it to be a long, grueling process. I want to go in, go out and have a prescription. Any advice??
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I only know you have to be 12 hrs. clean before starting.
good luck
Helpful - 0
I went to a clinic in Detroit to get started and my first visit was only about 20 min with the doc---Although before that I had to fill out about 20 pages of paperwork but nothing to grueling and my insurance covers it so you might want to look into it---But I don't think you will find somewhere that you can just walk into and walk out of with a script---
Helpful - 0
  The only place I found when I lived in Orlando, Florida did not accept insurance, though my insurance would reimburse me after I paid cash. Here is the physician locator website: http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/.
   I have heard that suboxone can be more difficult to get off than regular pain pills, but for those who just can not stay sober, it's an alternative way to manage your life. It's also available in a private doctor's office setting, so it's much more convenient and private than methadone. In my experience, my doctor was very good and very understanding. I started with 2 8mg tabs a day, and was down to .5mgs after 2 years. There is a lot of debate about rapid detox vs. slow detox, and I'm not the person to talk to about that. Hopefully, you can find a doctor who will work with you to find the best solution for your specific situation.  
Helpful - 0
  The only place I found when I lived in Orlando, Florida did not accept insurance, though my insurance would reimburse me after I paid cash. Here is the physician locator website: http://buprenorphine.samhsa.gov/bwns_locator/.
   I have heard that suboxone can be more difficult to get off than regular pain pills, but for those who just can not stay sober, it's an alternative way to manage your life. It's also available in a private doctor's office setting, so it's much more convenient and private than methadone. In my experience, my doctor was very good and very understanding. I started with 2 8mg tabs a day, and was down to .5mgs after 2 years. There is a lot of debate about rapid detox vs. slow detox, and I'm not the person to talk to about that. Hopefully, you can find a doctor who will work with you to find the best solution for your specific situation.  
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I made an appointment to get the SUB also. This doctor told me I had to go cold turkey for 48 hours. I take 8 vicoden a day. I got through 13 hours and had to give in...I felt like my insides were burning and I was out of control. There was nothing I could do to alleviate the feeling and knowing that I had to go through another full night and yet 24 more hours after that was too much for me to handle. I gave in BUT I have been gradually lowering my dose. I am now at 3 a day...I did it over a 3 week period and it has been the best for me. I am proud of myself but what really made me cut back and realize that I will end this is the feeling of being without for 13 hours.  It is like nothing I have ever felt...but then, maybe it was just my body's way of reacting. You could be different and not have that horrible symptom.  Let me know how you make out.  Good Luck.  I take one hour at a time and at the end of each day marvel at my progress and this way..not so painful.  God BLess!
Helpful - 0
Thank you everyone for your comments. I actually just called a clinic and the payment amount is ridiculous! Why do they have to make it so difficult? $400 to start and $100 for every visit afterwards, not to mention the payment for the scipt itself. I probably won't do that just b/c it's so much. You have to really really want it. I think I can be ok without it. It would just really help me out a lot.
Helpful - 0
a lot of docs who prescribe buep accept medicade which is free depending on your financial situation.im from new york city but now live in florida and have looked into switching from methadone to it and i know for a fact medicade is accepted here also.u do have to b sick to get it.it contains naloxone or narcan(what they bring u back with)if u take it well it will make u sicker then u have ever been.take it sick its such a small amount it dosent effect u but the buep makes u well.my x did it.my opinion it was great but he wasnt mentally strong enough and relapsed.u have no euphoria or"buzz" just normal he couldnt handle it.good luck methadone is always possiable.im on it dont really recommend it but then again i havent used heroin in a year on march 28.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.