Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Getting off Lortab with Methadone...has this ever worked for anyone else?

Sorry everyone for writing and then kinda dissapearing. I have been going back and forth trying to quit Lortab. I was taking anywhere from five, to nine 7.5 pills a day for the past year or so. I tried tapering, but didn't have the willpower. I tried cold turkey, and I have been MISERABLE the past two days. I really commend ANYONE on here who quits this stuff or at least makes a good effort. I had no idea it would be this bad! Well, anyways, I was almost at my breaking point today when my husband (who's addicted to Tabs as well) suggested Methadone. I have never taken it untill now, and he has only taken it a few time to help the wd's of lortab. So anyways, here's the plan. Take a quarter of a methadone (orange wafer) ever 24 hours or so, or less often if possible, for about 4 days. Long enough to help with the worst wd, but not long enough to develope an addiction to methadone. I took the methadone about 3 hours ago and I feel SOOOO much better! I feel like I actually have a chance at beating this. I also have no desire at this point to continue using Methadone longer than needed. My question is this: Has anyone else tried this before and is it reccomended? I mean, I'm a little worried now because I've hear these horror stories about people dying on methadone. I'm not taking ANY other medication, and a quarter is all I'm taking at one time. Does this seem safe? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am tryin 2 get my mother off of luratabs.She hasbeen takin them for some years now & we have been tryin 2 get her off them for about 2months.Nothing seems to work.We have tried everything from colodopin & now were thinking about methadone.I disagree w/methadone completely but I have nothin else too try.She will go a week w/out any but her with drawls continue & sometimes even worsen.If anyone can help or have any advice please let me know thanks alot
Helpful - 0
172023 tn?1334672284
If you are taking methadone, do not take any Lortab or Xanax.  That IS exactly how people die unintentionally.  

How are you getting the methadone?  
Helpful - 0
Never used Methodone. I just know it is worst to be hooked on Methadone the Lortab. I guess if it works for you the do it. Aren't you just tappering then? Substituting one addictive narcotic for another. MAybe that is what works for you since in your mind the lortap is gone and you do not have a mental addiction to Methadone.

I used Ultram/Tramadol a few times to ease WD and a few times I ran out and used it for 3-4 day with bearable WD. Personally I would rather switch to Ultram and taper off then Methadone. I have absolutly no desire to take Ultram Long term

Helpful - 0
Be very, very careful with methadone. The last thing you want is to stay on it for more than a few weeks maximum because you will get addicted to it. Please believe me, methadone is by far the hardest opiate to get of because unlike other opiates where severe withdrawls are measured in days, with methadone the withdrawls are measured in weeks and months. This makes it a total b**ch to come off. Myself any many others who started taking methadone  as a means to get off other opiates wish we hadn't.
God bless, Graeme.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for all the advice! I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't want to be hooked on ANYTHING else. My only vice has been Lortab. I really have no desire whatsoever for the methadone, it just keeps the WD and cravings for the Lortab at bay. I won't allow myself to take it for more than a few days. I've told my husband also, and he is helping me monitor this. My main concern was the safety of taking the methadone. I've just heard these horror stories about people accidently dying. I know people OD on all sorts of stuff, it just seems to be so much easier to do that with methadone. I won't take more than what I have though, and I'm not taking any other medication. I'm on a prescription for xanax (which I have NEVER abused, nor had any desire to) and I won't even take that right now. Well, thanks again for the advice, I hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
i took methadone as a drug for a while, while i was on tabs...but other than that i have no knowledge of trying to quit with it...i do know that a lot of the people here feel you shouldnt mess with it...for what reasons, i do not know...look back in the archives or just go back a few pages, i know youl find something there...

i am on day 5 of suboxone, and it has and is working wonders, but just like methadone, it is a drug also...check into it if you like...suboxone.com i think...and explore all your other options before starting one...

best of luck, and ill bee keeping you in my prayers...love, natasha
Helpful - 0
I'm not taking anything else. Not even my prescriptions. A friend of my husbands gave him a wafer. I figured that would be enough for about 4 days. I feel fine today though, so if I don't need it tomorrow, I won't take it. I haven't had any Lortab in 3 days...so I'm thinking by tomorrow, the worst of the WD should be over?
Helpful - 0
honestly ct it. methadone is bad news. did I mention methadone is very very bad news. I honestly know what your going through it will end though.  Just stop looking for a way out and learn to accept that you are going to feel like ass for a while. Its all worth it in the end. I did it and I can honestly say you probably never face anything that test your mind body and will as much as being dope sick. It will end but damn its hard. Post on this site also it helps if you can detox away from the place where you take your pills at. methadone is the enemy stay away.
Helpful - 0
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. I actually don't feel like I need anything anymore. I know that it won't be easy, but I couldn't function and raise two little ones with NOTHING at all. I tried for 2 days and I barely got off the couch. We couldn't afford for my husband to miss any work right now, so I'm by myself with two toddlers. I think I'm ok now, just needed to get past the really really bad part.
Helpful - 0
Methadone is an opiate, so your WD won't start until you stop the methadone.  It doesn't mask the WDs, it keeps you from having them, understand?  You don't feel the need to take anything, because you still have methadone in your system.  When you stop that, the WD will come, I can promise that, I tried it one year ago.  Good Luck, I want off too, just don't know how, because I have three little ones, and I can't put myself through hell, because who will watch my babies while I'm feeling like ass?  I HATE THESE THINGS!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
190466 tn?1215884854
never tried methadone, but alot of people have tried suboxone, but just my opinion its all still additive, i went to chem. dep. phyc. and got a week w/out lorcet and soma. sorry i couldnt be more help, but keep posting great people here. love and prayers for all Clay TX
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.