Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pregnancy and Narcotic Addiction

I have battled for years with my addiction to pain pills. I have one child that is 2 years old and is perfectly healthy. I am currently 20 weeks pregnant and I can't stop abusing pain pills. I take 5mg Tylenol #3 four to seven times a day. When I have bad days full of stress I take more, it helps take the edge off and I can concentrate better. I know I am a terrible Mother, and I struggle to stay clean. I want my babies to have a good Mother, a role model. Their Father is not in their lives, and probably won't ever be. I have stolen pills from parents when they have needed them desperately, and lied about stealing them. What are my chances of delivering a healthy child?
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I cannnot imagine how fast your mind is racing right now.  I am glad you found this forum and you are very honest.  You told the truth and you are seeking help.  That alone is a huge step.

There are professionals (nurses etc) on the forum that may help you with the pregnancy issues.  I recommend you see and doctor and be honest.  There is help and YOU ARE NOT ALONE at all.  You will not be judged...and hey, you ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING by getting it out in the open and seeking help for YOURSELF and baby.

I am here to listen.  I am an addict and I do not think I could face what you are facing today.  You are going to have to muster all the srength you can and reach out.  I am praying for you today and I know you can do this.  You know you want to quit those dam pills...I DO TOO!!!!!!!   Hang in there, and really someone else will post with more information for you.  DOn't go away...or post back later ok?
Helpful - 0
First of all, you have come to the right place. The people here are caring and understanding. Others here are in or have been in a situation similar to yours.

Second, know that I am praying for you. It might help.

I won't pretend to know your chances of having a healthy baby, but I will say this: if you can wean off these meds completely before the delivery, your baby will have a better chance of being healthy AND you will have a baby that's not suffering through withdrawals. Now I know you want that, so here's a few options:

1) Talk to your OB doctor ASAP about it. Good doctors are there to help you.

2) If you're too scared to see your doc, start a taper schedule right away (start at 4/day, then down to 3/day after a few days, then 2/day, then 1/day, then none. You could be completely off the meds in 2 or 3 weeks!

3) Read from and listen to others at this forum. They can support you as you get ready for and eventually accomplish your quit!
Helpful - 0
OMGosh.. I can't believe I got a response that quickly.. First of all I would like to say THANK YOU to creek and ScottQuit021907.. Thank you for not judging me, and thank you for being honost about what I should do.. I know I should talk to my OB, but I am ashamed and I already beat myself up about what I am doing EVERY DAY.. He will know what I am everytime I go in for a check up.. I have come down a lot from two mths, but I know I need to STOP.. Everyday when I take 'em, I tell myself this is it, I am quitting today.. But I don't and I haven't.. Thank You guys for your help, and I promise you I really am trying hard to give my baby a FAIR chance at life, after all she/he didn't ask to be here..

From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU guys..
Helpful - 0
Hi Taffy...first of all please don't beat yourself up...coming here shows that you want to get some help. I am an L&D/Prenatal Testing RN and have seen a lot of moms on narcotics...you are not alone and are trying to do something about it.  
First, you really do have to let your ob know about this.  They need to be prepared at delivery with the proper personnel for any type of problems that could possibly be encountered. I'm not trying to scare you and chances are the baby will be just fine but it is only fair to you, your baby, and the healthcare team prior to and at your delivery to be prepared.  They are not there to judge you or lecture you, they just want to do what is best.

You may need some prenatal testing which is totally non-invasive. This usually happens aroumd 28-32 weeks...I don't know if you have ever had a Non-stress test but it is just listening to the baby's heart and looking for specific characteristics in the heartbeat. Just gives you reassurance that the fetus is doing well in utero!

You really have come to the right place...people here only want to help you, not judge.  Please keep posting and if you have any more specific questions, I hope we can help!  You are NOT a bad mother! Have faith in yourself as a good person!
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Hello there, I too am pregnant and was addicted to pain meds norco's (hydrocodone) 10/325 to be exact 10-15 a day sometimes 20 on weekends. You are not alone and you are in the right place. I have been off pills almost 48 hrs!!! The tapering method worked best for me only because I knew I HAD too for the baby; if it was just me then I would still be popping them. It is very hard. Talk to your OB, there are different ways they can treat you but most of all they will be able to evaluate your baby and know exactly what to do when he/she is born. You are in my prayers and if you need to talk email me ***@****
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.