Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I think I may be addicted to percocet

GJF
I need help.  I am a 26 year old female and have been taking percocet on and off for about 4 years due to a back injury.  Within the last 6 months I have been taking them almost everyday.  Recently I have been taking somewhere between 10 and 18 a day.  My doctor has been giving mee the script until today when he cut me off.  I am so embaressed.  I have stopped for a few days recently and have had some signs of withdrawls.  What can I do I have no one to talk to.  I am getting married in 3 weeks and there is no way I can tell my fiance.  I also can't tell anyone in my family.I grew up in a house of addiction and couldn't do this to my mother or my sister.  Is there anyone who can help me?  I am just at a loss.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow, reading all this posts reminds me of myself a while ago.  I started taking percocet prescribed from my DR and so began a the great battle called addiction.  I knew for a while I was a complete addict, tried to hide it from family/friends (even though they knew). Most of all I was tried to hide it from myself, not admitting my life was a wreck and out of control.  My pill popping lead me (took a couple years) to loosing my job, then another, then another, then my fiance' the list goes on and on.  I moved back in my my parents, felt sorry for myself, covered the pain with more drugs.  Started shooting oxy's and morphine, and stayed in that hell for a couple years.  Finally I felt enough pain, and PUT MY LOVED ONES THROUGH ENOUGH PAIN that I wanted to honestly seek help.  There is not enough room on this forum to type what it took for me to realize I was ready for help, or what worked for me. If you would like to know just e-mail me chad-***@****

I will share my experience, and hope with anyone who needs it.  

I can tell you this.  IF your an addict....the taper method will NOT WORK.  I can't stress this enough.  I know most will still try, but if your honestly an addict you don't have the power to taper.  You will always justify "one more" or "a little to get me through".  

I will pray for you all.
Helpful - 0
Just to let you know, Advil PM has alot of benadryl in it. You can take two, which is the same as almost three.

I am a 29 year female who just posted first time yesterday.  I'm a mom of three, and on hydrocodone for 2 years.  I'm going to try and taper off now, and I can't tell anyone either.  My husband already warned me that if I did this again, which I have, that he would take the kids and leave me.  So its do or die time now!  I'm going to taper pretty fast, but in the end, I'm going to take it really slowly, and get liquid so I can do it in even more precise amounts, that way, if he asks, I'll just show him tiny amounts that I'm taking, and say, "well, I'm just not allowing myself to take normal amounts because of how I was last time"  Maybe he might respect that. Or not.  

But I totally understand what you are going through!
Good Luck!
Rebecca
Helpful - 0
Hye G, its a time thing, I,m suprise your Doc cut you off without tapering esp as long as you have been on them.Take it a day at a time and come back here for help. Alot of good people here ready to tell there story and a idea of what could help. As been said before everybody is different. Vitamins are a good start, and anything to help you sleep.Good luck and my prayers go your way.
Helpful - 0
if by detox, you mean on your own, it varies...all depends on the usage, your body, your mind...w/ds usually set in good around day 2...and there are some who havent felt ok till past day 12...and even then you wont feel "normal"...

not to be repeating myself...but i strongly suggest telling a loved one...if you are getting married in 3 weeks, you are going to need that support...

praying for you...natasha
Helpful - 0
GJF
thankyou so much it feels so good to actually admit to my self that I have this problem.  My goal is to be off of them by my wedding.  How long does it take to detox?
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
The facts that you "grew up in a house of addiction" and that you are now taking percs at like 3 to 4 times the prescribed rate should tell you something.  It's not a question of what you could or "couldn't do . . . to [your] mother or [your] sister."  Honey, you seem to have the family disease and it's relentlessly progressive and ultimately fatal unless its arrested.

I don't know you or your family, but I do know that I was POSITIVE that it was just not an option for me to let anyone find out, ESPECIALLY my family.  Fear and shame kept me from going to them and it almost killed me.  When I was at your excessive, but still relatively low, levels my wife asked me if "it" was drugs (she knew something was wrong) but I lied straight to her face, feeling certain that I MUST take of it MYSELF.  That was a mistake for me.

Even when I was literally weeks, if not days away from death, I still could not ask for help - I was still going to beat it myself.  In the end, the loved ones to whom I lied to and refused to go for help out of fear that I would be rejected or lose their love, or let them down, etc., marched in and saved me.

They literally saved my life.  Of course they were not too awful please with the whole deal (the addiction, the lies, etc.), but what REALLY bothered them was the fact that I didn't trust them - that I risked my life (and risked letting them lose a husband, father, brother, son, friend) rather than trust them enough to say "I'm in trouble here and I need your help."

You no doubt know that Addiction is a lier.  One of its biggest lies is the shame with which it trys to cover its subject.  Another HUGE lie is that you must keep it secret. Addiction even tells you that its OK to attack it and try to kill/end it, as long as you do so in secret.  Don't fall for those lies.

Helpful - 0
i know you wont want to hear this...but to have someone to talk to in your life, that knows about you, can be very beneficial...i know you dont want to disappoint anyone, but they will get over that...the main thing is to get you well...

and its not your fault...you have real pain that caused you to become dependant on these things...

we are her for you, to answer any question, and to listen to you vent when you need to...but i do suggest telling someone, if you can muster up the strength...

im praying for you...love, natasha
Helpful - 0
GJF
I am just so ******* scared.  It's not so much the wd's as how much I hate myself for this.. How are you feeling tell me about the wd's
Helpful - 0
Hi , as ironic as this sounds im a 26 yr old male, I have been taking 12-18 vics a day, i ran out 6 days ago and have not pursued getting any, maybe we can help each other out with this!!!!!! write me back wildearp
Helpful - 0
TRY TAKING B12 FOR ENERGY THE IMMODIUM FOR THE RUNS TYLENOL PM FOR THE SLEEPLESSNESS OR UNLESS YOU CAN GO TO SOMEONE FOR HELP YOU MIGHT HAVE TO DETOX WITH METHADOSE CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR OR IF YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE DOCTOR YOU HAD FIND ANOTHER AND GIVE THE NEW DOCTOR YOUR COMPLETE HISTORY THE NEW DOCTOR JUST MIGHT TAPER YOU DOWN INSTEAD OF COLD TURKEY UNLESS YOU CAN GET SOME PILLS FROM A FRIEND OR DOCTOR YOU WILL HAVE WITHDRAWS
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.