Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
  I am now at 3 1/2 days removed from a lengthy taper from 16 mgs of suboxone a day down to .5 mgs, then off. I worked last night, moving a 190 gallon saltwater reef system to a new location, and while I still didn't sleep much last night, I feel better today. I haven't taken anything stronger than Tylenol PM and Melatonin for sleep ( if anyone knows of a better natural sleep inducer, please let me know ), and they don't seem to work so good. The combo of 5-HTP, L-Tyrosine, and vitamin B complex help greatly with mood and energy. Thanks Thomas.
  I struggle with energy, but at over 3 days, I don't anticipate it getting much worse. I find that if I exersize and get out of the house, my mood improves. I've avoided alcohol and most other drugs, though I admit I've smoked pot, mostly for the calming effects. I have to admit it doesn't help with energy, but it has kept my stomach calm, and my appetite up.
I have perused the web boards for some hopeful stories of dealing with withdrawals from opiates and honestly haven't found many. Perhaps that's because some people don't feel the need to reassure themselves of their strength. I sometimes do. Espescially now. But I can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel, and it means I'll never have to be a slave to a drug again. I can feel the old me under all this physical and emotional drain, and I'm excited at having that person back again. I'm committed now, and I'm going to see this through. I can do this, and so can all of you. Don't ever stop hoping. -E
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Welcome!

How long were you on the sub? I have heard that PAWS is an issue with long-term sub use. Not trying to scare you, but just wanted to be honest that you might have a few lingering w/d symptoms which is probably normal.

My advice: read read read.
Helpful - 0
  Hi Scott. I was on suboxone for 2 years, and yes, I've read and listened to my doctor's speeches about the danger of lingering withdrawal symtoms from suboxone. I stopped taking sub 5 days ago, opting for 2 darvocets on day 1, and 1 darvocet on day 2. The 'cets prevented most of the worst WD's on days 1 and 2, but one day one of clean I started to notice the restless legs and slight chills. Always cold for the first 2 days. On day 2, I ventured out, aquiring some of the supplements from the Thomas diet. Sleep has been extremely rare, with 3-4 total hours on day 1, 2-3 hours on day 2, and I honestly don't know if I slept at all lsat night. I think I did, but I was so exhausted I didn't mark the time like usual. My girlfriend tells me I was still for at least 2 hours, but I remember most of the tv show that was on and part of the next. I didn't take anything other than melotonin at first. Then at 3:00 or so I took 3 tylenol PMs, and I slept for 2 hours this morning. I'm resisting the urge to take colonopins or valium for sleep, as I know the WDs from both of these. They're not nearly as bad, but I don't even want the additional sleep problems, espescially if the Sub WDs last a bit longer than natural opiates. I'll continue to post, to try to give anyone who's curious a better idea of how long it takes to get back to normal. I am 27 years old, and in good physical shape. I'm hoping that will help, but after 4 years of uninterrupted opiate abuse, I know my body has changed chemically. I can tell by the increased saliva, sneezes, and the aches and pains. My concentration seems somewhat better though, as I find I'm able to concentrate on enjoyable things like the guitar, in a way I haven't probably since I started the habit. It's not all WD's. As I said in the earlier post, I can feel the old me in there, I just need time.
Helpful - 0
Hey, thanks for the story! I know others here who recently started on sub and may benefit from your story. Please keep us posted - I am especially interested in the PAWS, so let us know if / when / how often you experience it.

You're doing great BTW. One day at a time, right?
Helpful - 0
No problem, and thanks for the encouragement, I definatley need it.  I want off these friggin things, and I know suboxone is relatively new. A lot of doctors ( including mine ), never rule out the possibility of lifelong management, which for me made it that much harder to walk away from it. But it did allow me to work, and get my life into a manageable position to quit. Some of the worse symptoms from days 1 and 2 seem to be going away already; the constant feeling of being cold, and the restless legs. Whether this is due to the supplements or not I don't know yet. Mornings seem to be the worst, so I've swapped my schedule around a bit, so that I get started later, or work in the afternoons.
Helpful - 0
I was placed on vic's for various ailements and didn't even know that I was going through w/d or was becoming dependent on them. Because it happened physically for me way b4 the mental part. One day I wasn't feeling any pain and so I didn't have the need to take the vic. Because at this point I am strictly taking it to combat pain but by day three, I felt like I had the flu, with chills, lethargic, generalized body aches(not the excrutiating pain that I had been using it for) but a more achy pain and tremors. I still never thought to take a vic. But I was so weak that I could barely move, when my husband came in and looked at me and said, "You are probably going through w/d. The possibility seemed unbelievable to me and I thought he was crazy. I lamented at him and told him that was crazy. He said that I needed to go to the hospital. So I said, "Do you really think that's what it is?" His reply was, most likely because you have been chronically ill for several years and you have a high tolerance level...so u may not have realized it mentally but your body knows it. I was soo miserable by now and my husband said, well...just take one and see if it helps and if not you have to go to the hospital but I'm sure that's it because you abruptally stopped. I was only taking 1 to 2.5 on my worst days. Took one vic and all symptoms left. I maintained 1.5 dosage for 5 yrs because I only took it when in pain but was still becoming dependent. I ran out and w/d began and I couldn't sleep because of tremors and anxiety. Tylenol PM(which normally works wonders) failed and I took "Rescue Remedy by Flower Essence", 5-HTP and 1,000mg L-Tyrosine and slept like a baby, tremors subsided and craving took about 30 minutes to leave but did. This worked 4 me. I've had surgery and hope to detox of all the vic soon and will incorporate them into my detoxing. I know it will be hard because now I'm fighting the mental addiction to this med but I refuse to accept that it can't be done. I've talked to Alternative Doctor and will try natural way first and if it doesn't work, will keep trying until I succeed. GOD BLESS!!!
Helpful - 0
  Thanks Lilstorm. I've got all my supplements lined up. I've been taking 5-HTP, L-Tyro, and liquid B complex in the mornings. I'm trying GNC's " Sleep Formula ", as Tylenol PM and Melotonin aren't working for me. I end up in a weird sort of semi-consciousnous ( sp? ), but really only ending sleeping about 2 hours every 4 hours I lay down. That's been the killer. The rest of the **** I can deal with, I know it'll be over, but not sleeping is killing my work schedule. I know what you mean about the horror of descovering you're addicted. I smoke, and I thought that was hard. I think I'm just going to quit cigarettes after this... can't be any worse! Thanks again, the suggestions about supplements have been invaluable, and any support is always welcome. We can do this!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.