Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hello All..Frequent reader.. never posted..ct 9 days

Hello Everyone. My name is Steve I am 38 years old. I had a bad accident 4 years ago and ruptured L4, L5,S1.I went thru many series of lower lumbar injections to help the pain. As well as physical therapy every other day for a week. I have had them repaired about 3.5 years ago. I was fine for about a month or so then it started. Very bad shooting burning pain down the left leg into the foot, and across the hip and down the right leg to the knee. So I had to go back to the Pain Treatment Center. I am sure that we all know what they do. I was on Neurontin, Flexeril, Ambien, Lortab 10 4 a day, Oxy 20 3 a day, klonopin, effexor, and cymbalta. Think I got it all. I was a zombie with no sex drive to speak of and living in a fog. Well over the past 1 year I have been cutting down on all my meds by tapering. I got down to just 2 10 lortab a day and was so ready to get it over with. So 3/01/07 was the day I picked. I still have 11 pills here and my cough syrup. I am on
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am very proud of you. It has been 8 days for me now with no Lortab 10/650 and 4 20mg Oxycontin. I was on everything you was. I have also quit smoking cigarettes. 2 weeks ago today. I have had horrible withdrawals. I hope I feel better soon. I had to start taking 2 20mg Oxycontin 2 days ago to cope with my pain. I am a 38 year old single mother of 3 and I knew I had to quit for my health and my children. My pain management told me the same thing about quitting. He said I would't be able to cope with the pain. I have a neck disorder called Torticollis, the muscles tighten and wont release. Congratulations to you! :)
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the encouragement. Today is day 10. I thought I was over all of this, but I have a bad case of anxiety today. The headache is back as well. Not sure what is going on with that. My wife has been sick and I hope I am just coming down with what she had.

Helpful - 0
No I have not, but I will and see if it helps. I have a e stem unit that works sometimes, but it is hit and miss at best. I will try the hot cold tonite and see how it works.
Helpful - 0
The aleve helps out at night. The problem is that I now have scar tissue buildup from thr operation and it is impenging on the nerves. Along with more disc damage around the same area. I still work and it takes a toll on my back.

Sleep is my issue. I can not lay in any comfortable position for more than 30 minutes until it begins to hurt so bad that I must change positions. But the Aleve do help a little.

Peace

Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
have you tried ( you probably have) contrasting ice and heat in the area before bed.. I do it at night when i get flare ups.. 10min ice 10min heat 10 min ice 10min heat etc..
Helpful - 0
Anyway I am sorry I drew it out  so long I just wanted to let everyone know my background. I have been reading this site for the last year and have gotten a lot of insperation from all of you guys and gals. I just felt the need to reach out and tell my story. If I can help anyone I am here to listen. Totally unbiased. The way I see it we all found out how to get ourselves into this so it is only fair for us all collectively to help get as many people off as we can.

Peace
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
hope it does help some.. i do it for up to 45 min sometimes.. ice numbs and reduces the immflamation. heat sooths and relaxes.. i always end with heat its easier to go to sleep after heat..
Helpful - 0
Just wanted to say welcome and your in the right place.  I think thats very cool that you fired your doctor.  That took a lot of guts, good for you,,Keep the post coming, huggs, g
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
9 days is great.. it was bold of you to fire your pain doc.. good job. how is your pain holding up with the Aleve??
Helpful - 0
9th day (late). I started to feel a little better on day 5 and a little more each day. My Dr. gave me a rx of valium and ambien. If I needed them. Had to go to my Dr. since I told the Pain treatment quack he was fired. You know he told me that I couldn't function without my meds. I had to sign out of his clinic formally and everything. But anyway I got the Ambien filled on the second day to try and help with some of my sleep issues. It worked for me. So now I take 1 Aleve and 1 Ambien each nite so I can sleep. I still wake up feeling like **** and hurting bad in my legs and back. But I had to get off of this **** and function normally again before I lose everything again. I got involved in some serious cocaine abuse about 10 years ago for a while and I thought that was bad to quit, but this was definitely harder for me than the coke was. The coke effected me in a sexual way which made it fun. These pills act exactly the opposite on me so I had to quit. No mater the cost.    
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.