Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What if I continue?

For 20 years, I've taken 10+ norco a day.  Plus, fioricet, codeine, etc.  I started because of migraine but am now dependant.  I've never increased the medication, doctor shopped or purchased anything off the internet...I don't get high on these drugs.  I've been taking these meds for years because I suffered severe, debilitating migraines and they helped me face the day.

But they are no longer working the way they should.  I'm getting tired, maybe from the meds, and need to nap a lot.  My headaches are breaking through, and I'm thinking it's time to stop.  I know I can't be gulping pills in fear of getting a headache forever.

I only took one norco today but am starting to feel kind of shaky.  I hadn't planned to stop today; hadn't even thought about it.  I just didn't take my pills.  But now that I've gone a whole day with only one, I'm starting to think I should continue.

What can I expect if I don't take any more? Is this even wise to do?

I hope this is the place to ask...I just found this forum doing a quick search and, breaking all netiquette, didn't search to see how often my question had been asked before.  :)

6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i dont know the answer to your question, but welcome.  and screw nettiquete.. i mean, it's always a good idea to introduce yourself even if its been discussed.  so hi.  

Helpful - 0
Hi, and welcome!  You will find wonderful, helpful, caring people here.  If you decide to quit, I would speak to a doctor about it, because that is a ton of medication to just stop taking altogether.  But, I think you can do it, if you really want to!  And we will be here to help you along the way!  Nice to talk to you and take care!
Helpful - 0
Hi back. :)

I am trying to enjoy this experience - first day in 20 years without taking pills, but I'm not feeling that good.  I am okay sitting here in front of the computer, but when I get up to cook dinner and do my household duties....I start feeling kinda bad.

Helpful - 0
i dunno the specifics but.. any withdrawal is hell pretty much.  have you tried some extensive googling?  there may be easier ways for you to get off of your medication that involve less suffering, chances are if you feel terrible now it may not compare to how you feel later, though this should definately not scare you away from going through with quitting!  you have to quit eventually, it's just not healthy to keep upping the dose on.. really anything you've become dependant on.  ofcourse, pain is pain..  any idea on what you're going to do to manage that once you're off?  im trying to figure that out now, though mine isnt a daily pain so it's not as big of a deal.  
Helpful - 0
I actually don't know what to do about the pain.  I've participated in clinical trials but nothing new has come on the market.  Botox is in stage 2 and I've tried that...it helped a bit the first time, but didn't do much for the migraine the subsequent time.  (It did get rid of my vertigo though.)

I have imitrex for the worst headaches, which works quite well, and I figured I'd just see how bad my other headaches get after I am off the meds.  Maybe all those drugs are compounding the headaches by now.

I've not done a lot of google on it - I came upon a few pages that all said the same thing, and then this forum.  

I know I can't keep taking them forever.  My liver function tests have all been clean but someday, that won't be the case.  And, my lack of energy is really bothering me.  Maybe it's ME and not the drugs, but I've taken them for so long that I don't really know.  I have a young child still and need energy!

When you say it's going to get worse...and like hell....what do you mean?  I feel achy and shaky and lightheaded....but nothing I can't handle so far.  Is there anything I should be doing to make it easier on me?
Helpful - 0
seriously i wouldnt know.  im pretty new to all this, just figured out this week that opiate withdrawal is why i was feeling terrible, it came as a shock.  

some withdrawals (like meth) is like two days.  benzo's i just found out are absolutely awful..  as are opiates.  it really depends on your medications.  if you have a good doctor i would talk to him about what to go off, when, and how.  it's just safer.  i mean, it could get pretty unpleasant, im sure you found the withdrawal symptoms for your drugs.  and also, it depends on the half life of the drug as to when it gets bad.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.