Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Are there drugs to help with vicodin withdrawal?

I have been addicted to vicodin and oxycontin for a year.  I really want to stop but I cannot stand the withdrawals.  Are there any meds my doctor can prescribe to help with the withdrawals and give me a fighting chance at successfully quitting?
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
192332 tn?1189755828
clonadine or something like that it is a blood pressure med it helps but gives me bad dry mouth
Helpful - 0
190466 tn?1215884854
My story, 37 m 4kids and wife,I was up around 25- 35 lorcet and soma a day, I had tried the suboxone and 40 8 mg would only last 20 days. So there i was back to runing DR in houston maybe 3 per week. what finally broke me 2 sundays ago, was My wife was out of town w/ one daughter and one went to church w/ bro-in-law, so that left me w/one.I was out of pills and broke,in a panic I ran to the pawn shop W/my daughter (7]and took her w/me to get pills off the street.she watched knowing what her daddy was doing, that BROKE ME,The great story begins 13 days ago, Found a chem. Dep phyc.,they wanted to put me on in pat. but it was like 6,000 for a week they refered me to help finally. They used 100mg of librium 4 times a day,along w/serquel,at night and clonidine, and immodiam ,I had to take a week off and slept most of the time,but today Im free and thats my story. hope I could help
Helpful - 0
Man, what a night & morning, YUK. Oh well, it can only get better, anyway, you guys are lucky to be able to take that stuff for withdrawal, I cannot because I am allergic to them all, so basically I'm screwed, but to the others, good luck!
Helpful - 0
4 yrs ago when I went into a treatment center for detox, they gave me the following: ( I'm bad at spelling guys)

-clonadine
-atavan
-bentyl
-imodium
-robaxin
-ambien

********* the only thing is, that you really should be watched by someone if you take all these things, because vitals should be kept up with!**********

My withdrawls were very easy with these.  Too bad I can't go back this time!!!  God that would be a dream come true!  But, I have 3 kids at home this time!!! OH well, I can wing it on my own!
Helpful - 0
I know, I wish I could go to rehab, but I absolutely cannot.  I am a single mother and there is no way in the world I could be away for even a week.
Helpful - 0
There are doctors in every state that are funded by wic, good doctors.  Tehy work on a sliding scale,with my income it was only 20 dollars,  If you dont want to do all the paperwork then its 40 dollars.  If you go to one of these doctors they can give you medication to make the withdrawls a little bit easier.  Your still not going to have all the energy that you have now so start taking your vitamins.  Either way, doctor, or not, you can do this... Huggs, G
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.