Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hand Numbness

I have been getting this really painful numbness in my hands.  I notice it whenever I wake up in the morning.  I can't even close my fist and my fingers are swollen.  It is really painful.  I take about 150mg of oxy a day and I was wondering if it was from that?  I hear how people get RLS...but I have never heard of that in hands.  Has anyone ever had this problem?  And if so...what can I do to make it stop??
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi there- do you use your hand alot @ your job? computer ect?? sounds like carpal tunnell which i have and exactly the same things happen or you have a pinched nerve inyour neck and that can make your hand numb and sore, have had that too. i really don't believe its from the meds,,,keep me posted!~~D
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the reply.  Well...I am a bartender...so I use my right hand constantly to pick up bottles.  I guess it could be from that.  My mom has carpel tunnel so maybe it could be that also.  I bought a hand brace to wear at night but it doesnt seem to help all that much.  The pain has just gotten really bad lately.  I have been awake for 5 hours and I still can't use my hand.  I can't even brush my teeth with it!  The pain also seems to travel up to my elbow.  As the day progresses...the pain gets better...then back to the pain the next day.  Anything you know of that helps?
Helpful - 0
unfortunately i can't find anything that helps,somedays its fine other days it hurts sooo bad..i also think with the carp tunnell the weather has alot to do with it....warm moist,,cold dry????
Helpful - 0
Hey...it definately sounds like carpal tunnel to me also. I had it pretty bad in both hand...woke up everynight with jpain up to my elbows and numbness.Had to wake up, sit up and shake my arms to get it to stop.  Steroid injections are very helpful...it is worse during pregnancy or whenever you retain water.  I had a bilateral carpal tunnel release three years ago and have not had a problem since....down time is about two weeks and it is well worth it. All I took for pain post-op was Ibuprofen and Tylenol so if addiction is a problem, the surgery is doable without narcotics.
Helpful - 0
What is carpal tunnel caused from?  Surgery is not an option foo me since I don't have insurance.  I am looking into purchasing ins for myself but not sure how soon.  Did you wear hand braces at night?  Did those help you out?
Helpful - 0
I did wear the hand braces, once if progressed to the pain up my arms, the braces did not help me.  It is caused by the band keeps holds the carpal tunnel ligaments/nerves together. It is a very small space, and as you have more fluid/smaller space the nerves become entrapped leading to numbness and pain. I had it with all my pregnancies and after my fourth, it just progressed and I finally had to have the surgery. The cortisone shots did hold me over for a few months however!
Helpful - 0
I've heard/read many times that vitamin B-6 will help with carpel tunnel, if
that's the problem.  The carpel tunnel CAN be caused by a deficiency of B-6.  
I'm not a doctor...just wanted to pass this along in case it can help.  If you
click on this address   http://www.questvitamins.com/faq.asp?id=26      
and then click on question 4, you can read a little about it....or do a search for
carpel tunnel and vitamin B-6.  I've been just a reader so far, but I really appreciate all the comments and help here.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.