Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Methadone Withdrawal and how long it last

I am a methadone addict. I have been a patient in a clinic now for about 7 months. I started this program to get off of other types of pain pills (loratab, vicidon,ect.). I am now taking 40mg. of methadone a day. I want to stop taking this poison immediately. I haven't had any methadone for almost 24hrs. and I know it is only going to get MUCH worse. I am wondering if this is a safe way to stop this. I know I have the optoin to detox, but I really just don't want to take this anymore if it is possible. I'm ready to get my life back and to become myself again (something I haven't been for the 4 yrs. I have been addicted to pain pills). Please let me know what you think of my idea to stop cold turkey!!!!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am going to give it to you strait, this detox is bad.  I would presume that your not in full w/d just yet with it being only 24hrs.  I remember it taking almost 2 days before they hit full force with methadone.  The reason for this is the drugs long half life.  It staying in your system a lot longer than perc/vics/oxys - thus it takes longer to detox from it.  

I have been in your shoes, and it was by far the worst detox I had, only because it seemed to last longer.  

With all that said - it can be done.  Its not going to be fun, but if you really are sick and tired of being "sick and tired" - you can do this.  I promise.  
One good thing you got going for you is that your on a relativly small dose.  That will help a lot.

Please feel free to e-mail me chad-***@****
if I can be of any assistance at all.
Helpful - 0
I only know what I've read, which is that stopping methadone abruptly is generally not considered to be dangerous as it is really just another opiate. However, I have read in several places that methadone w/d is difficult because of the duration of physical symptoms for the reasons Chad pointed out.

Should you choose the cold turkey route (certainly a viable option), I would recommend calling in a support system (forum, family, friends, programs, God), take your vitamins, keep Immodium and Gatorade on hand, and eat bananas every day that you are able to eat.

Most importantly, I hope that, once you are quit, you will always stay quit. Use whatever means necessary, but always remember the goal - to keep your quit!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.