Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Since I'm the new girl here... : ) a little mini survey for you!

Just wanting to know a little bit more about the rest of you!
Are you sober? Still trying? How long?
What was your addiction to?
What is/was tour chosen method? Tapering? CT?
What other meds did you use to help yourself detox?
Has anyone been in rehab?
Does your doctor know, or did you do it alone?
How many times of trying to quit did it take before it really worked?

About me:
I've been trying to quit for about 3 months
I'm addicted to lortabs, but I've used oxys, percocets and morphine before too.
I can't deal with ct, so I usually taper (I call it weaning, but I see you guys call it tapering)
I wean with lortabs & darvocets,klonopin in between my doses for anxiety,and ibuprphine and icy hot for my back pain.  Nighttime I use flexeril and lunesta for sleep and aches.
I haven't been to rehab or told my Dr b/c I'm  a single mom (I have sole custody)and will most likely have to have back surgery in the future.
I've tryed to quit over 20 times.  But I'll keep trying untill I get it right!
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello there!!
I have been sober for 8 days now and I was addicted to Norco's 10/325 for about a year. I am now 8 weeks pregnant and I did this more for my baby than me but whatever works right? I used the taper method did it in a week, and took wellburtrin the week before I quit. Nothing else to W/D since I couldn't but my W/D's were not bad. The day I found out I was prego I quit C/T and WOW, that was super painful, I couldn't do it. I was worried about miscarriage and I am a wuss. I was in rehab about 10 years ago for cocaine/crack, that was cake to walk away from compared to these goofy pills. My OB knows I was on them and tapered.
Helpful - 0
Forgot to tell you that I was on 15-20 a day sometimes upwards of 30 on the weekends. And my husband has no idea which really su*ks
Helpful - 0
Good idea! Here's my vitals:

Are you sober?  yes

How long? 3 weeks today

What was your addiction to? morphine (350 mg/day)

What is/was tour chosen method? CT

What other meds did you use to help yourself detox? nothing but OTC

Been in rehab? no

Does your doctor know, or did you do it alone? alone

How many times of trying to quit did it take before it really worked? hopefully 2 attempts is all it takes me for opiates (have had countless relapses with alcohol)
Helpful - 0
21is time quiting is the charm nychick! this time it works!
grew up in queens btw        
                                       mike
Helpful - 0
Congrats on the pregnancy! I think we talked yesterday : ) I was a heavy drinker bfore I got pregnant with my son.  Pregnany sure does make you chnage you life : ) I had a c-section, which is how I become addicted to pills, so it's good your dr knows your history. Personal ?, you don't have to answer if you don't want to: Is the father involved?
Helpful - 0
nevermind, u just answered my ? : )
Helpful - 0
Hey there- ignore what you've read here I'm not Satan :-) LOL

If you're trying to taper, I have some ideas you might like to try.
And again lest I inspire the flames to begin - I'm not a doctor nor an expert I'm just a friggin junkie!  But I have done a fair bit of reading about how the mind tricks us and can be our enemy, and how to cope with cravings.  I have tapered and I'm clean now. It's hard, and every day I use the techniques I've shared with others and they're working fairly well for all so far.  

If you're interested, IM me near 8pm Eastern, we're going to have our first online chat group meeting.  This is NOT an NA meeting, but is also NOT anti-NA.  It's free-thinking and freely-sharing ideas - the only rule is to BE NICE, no cruelty or bashing.  If you're interested let me know.

Now for your survey:

Are you sober? NO. I still have a drinking problem! But I have not been high in 14 days, and have no opiates in my system for 5 (or rather not consumed any new ones)

Still trying? How long?  I tapered for 9 days. I was on 5-8 10/325 hydrocodone for 1.5 years with an increasing volume of alcohol. Started after waking up, went till I couldn't anymore. Sometimes went 15-20 pills.

What was your addiction to?  Any opiates. Hydrocodone(vicodin), used Oxycontin but could not find a good source. Used Morphine, even grew my own opium and smoked it (yes, I grew it, several years)

What is/was tour chosen method? Tapering? CT?  Tried c/t for 26hrs, but could not be out of work and the w/d's were too horrendous to work.  Felt hopeless and like a failure.  Found this site, and TINK(!!!) and realized tapering wasn't failure.  

What other meds did you use to help yourself detox?  A few nights I took otc tylenol sleeping pills but that's it. I am afraid of getting addicted to something else!

Has anyone been in rehab?  Nope, can't afford the time out of work.

Does your doctor know, or did you do it alone?  No way, I'm paranoid about doctors and don't feel taking more drugs is right FOR ME(<--NOTE! FOR ME!). I have yet to hear of a doctor NOT giving a patient more drugs.

How many times of trying to quit did it take before it really worked?  I tried tapering (sorta) a few months ago, just wanted to decrease my intake but I never intended to 1: stop getting high or 2: quit completely. That's why it didn't work. Now both those things were the opposite - and it has worked. I consider myself fortunate to have found people like Tink, Charity, and so many here that I can't count them all.  THEY have been my saving grace.

Peace!
/D

Helpful - 0
I wish I could, but i'll be working at 8.  Do you guys do it on thursdays at all?  Or on the weekends?
Helpful - 0
-Sober 10 months
-Oxy/Morph/H (Oral first couple years, IV the rest)
-Method to stop (tried every method) When I was ready C/T
-No meds to help with detox.  I'm an addict, I would have abused them
-Rehab completed 4 residential treatments in 2 states
-Any doctor I see today is fully aware of my being an addict, very respectful as well.
-I can't count the amount of times I tried to quite and swore off using.

Typed all that to share this.  There is hope.  It doesn't matter if its your 1st time trying to stop or your 1000th time.  It can be done.  I try and look at everything in life as a gift today.  No joke.  When I was ready to honestly stop, I stopped trying to chose how and when I would stop, and ask someone who had been in my shoes - and managed to get some clean time - how he did it.  I then listened (even if I didn't agree) and kept an honest, open mind.  More importantly I was willing to try anything!  

This thing is a daily deal.  Today life is good.  Everyday isn't perfect, but when it seems like I have a million problems, there is always someone who needs help that God somehow placed in front of me.  That is what keeps me sober.

Helpful - 0
We don't have a schedule yet - but I'm sure we'll have it on the weekends.
Honestly I was shooting for every other night, or, if I could get some others to alternate setting it up, we could do it every night if enough people want it.
Right now there is a ton of interest so we'll play it by ear.

Oh - and if you wanna do one Thursday night I can talk to people tonight about doing it then.  Personally, I'll be there, I've read your posts and would love to chat.

PS: Heck even the bowhunter himself is coming(although a bit late I believe)! Sincerely I'm honored. This is a dude I know doesn't agree with what I've said here - except one thing - help others and let them do things their own way.  This is definitely one cool dude and I'm honored he'd come along.

Peace
/D
Helpful - 0

Are you sober? Still trying? How long?
I just began trying today.

What was your addiction to? any opiate really

What is/was tour chosen method? Tapering? CT?
I am beginning c/t today

What other meds did you use to help yourself detox?
doc just prescribed catapress patch, klonipin

Has anyone been in rehab?
no rehab but I am in therapy for severe anxiety and my therapist is also an addiction counselor so I told her and we will begin working.

Does your doctor know, or did you do it alone?
I told my doc today.

How many times of trying to quit did it take before it really worked?
This is my first time, I can't imagine going through it again!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.