Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

possible for pain relief after physical dependence?

This question is for anyone that was using for a pain that isn't/wasn't temporary.    

I (was supposed) to take my lortab prescription for endometriosis pain, and did so just fine for almost a year.  I slipped up recently and found myself with a physical dependence on them.  I quit taking them, and it's been days without.  I'm doing OK and thankfully had a very mild withdrawal in comparison to many of yours, Probably becuase while I never took more than 4 a day, I took them everyday for a few weeks too long.

I almost feel 100% better, I'm just not sleeping quite like I should, and I've been pretty depressed..  slight stomach cramping, but no more crazy hot/cold spells/runs/obsessing/anxiety.  anxiety is minimal now!!  Very fatigued though.  

My problem is..  the pain I get once a month is incapacitating.  It's coming up soon, and I have no idea what to do.  I do have my meds under the control of boyfriend, and he knows what to do (paramedic), so there won't be any cheating. (only allowed half of doctor's prescribed daily allowance, and only for two days).

However, I'm (understandably) a bit frightened to take it again.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Is it possible to achieve a balance & treat your pain without getting physical dependence again after it's happened once?  Is there some length of time that I should wait?  Even though I didn't have it that bad, there is no way I'm doing this again.  Any advice/stories/experiences welcome, thank you.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
PLEASE don't ask for Ultram (tramadol).  I'm not trying to dispute the other poster, (please don't think that), but I've just gone through hell trying to get off of them.  Tomorrow (Friday, 15) will be two weeks.  I'm still not completely better;  still have stomach cramping and rls (a lot better than last week, as some of you know), but lemme tell ya first hand:

TRAMADOL (Ultram) IS ADDICTIVE, and YOU WILL GO THROUGH MAJOR W/D'S!!

Helpful - 0
its a bad catch 22 situation isnt it? maybe ask your doc what he would suggest other than a narcotic? there has to be something else that could at least take the edge off so you could still participate in your daily activities.....cin
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the advice jen.  Yes, I have tried *EVERYTHING*.  The pill. Even primrose.  Even excersize.  and most of all, alllll different kinds of medicine before moving up to a narcotic pain reliever. The doctor's like to exhaust all options first, which is smart.  Ibuprofen doesn't even put a dent in it.  Only the lortabs worked to dull the pain enough for me to be able to move about & at least be somewhat productive on those days.  Oxy just made me sick.  I get the nausea from the pain so I didn't need any extra.
Helpful - 0
No, I am familiar with it though.  Family & friends tried to get me to do that with drinking, and I kept telling them.. when I want to I will quit.  And I did.  And I don't miss it.  The thought of drinking makes me queasy, it was a part of my life, and it's over.  

However, I am aware that I have an addictive personality.  This is why I don't know what to do with this issue.  The pain is simply not an option, I tried other remedies, I tried living with it, and my life is too demanding to be curled up in a ball crying in bed for a few days every month.  I dare say the pain is worse than the withdrawal *at least the withdrawal I had* , I dislike the anxiety more, but.. the pain is just awful, period.  I really have no idea what to do.  I never realized how dangerous lortab was, I have a new respect for it.  Will that be enough?  

I absolutely do not want to be in here, at wits end again when that time of the month comes, having withdrawal again just because I needed to take my prescription for a day or so.  
Helpful - 0
This is my opinion.

If your not a true addict, you don't have much to worry about.  If you were taking as prescribed - and not taking to get high.

Sounds to me like you just got dependent on the drug, and your body actually did go through w/d when it was absent.  Thats normal.  

The difference here is an addict has a crazy obsessoin in their mind to take more, and more to get high and not deal with life. After a while they just run from their problems in a pill bottle (or whatever) and the problems pile up till they don't know what to do, or where to turn.

Only you can diagnose yourself as a addict. If you don't think you are, then your on the right track.  If you think you might be, but your not sure - ask questions.  We would be glad to help you out.

Helpful - 0
Have you tried Ultram, its a non-narcotic, but, it is addictive, it wasnt for me, but that is what they like to give to addicts for pain.  I used to have the same problem every month until I had my kids, now I dont have the pain anymore.  I used to miss at least a day of work a month.  I would take soma and just lay in bed.  I dont know how to answer your question. Just what I used to do.  This is way before I discovered loratab, of course.  But, have you asked your doctor about ultram???  I dont know if that helps or not, your in a catch 22... Huggs, G
Helpful - 0
Actually, I stopped these vikes 3 1/2 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with Lizzie. (of course, I started up again after she was born....damn me...)
BUT I remember how much actual PAIN I was in without them...and I took Ibuprofen 800mgs. and THAT really seemed to work pretty good, and my OB said it was OK to take while pregnant. Well, she must have been right cuz Lizzie is a perfectly healthy, drive-me-nuts 3 year old lol
Otherwise, have you tried naproxen? They are pretty good too for pain.
I can check with my friend, she's a pharmacist, tomorrow about what is good non narcotic to take for pain. okay?
I'll let you know tomorrow.
And, again, really I'm sorry about the other night. :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.