Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Fentanyl Help

Need some advice? I have been on the 25mc Fentanyl Patch for over a month now and experience real difficulty after approx 48 hours. The 3rd day is unbearable. I'm totally drained and do not feel like doing anything. The pain is also more present on the 3rd day. I'm not sure I should be on this patch. I was taking Lortab 7.5 1 every 4 hours for several years and never had the problems with it as I have had with the patch. Has anyone out there experienced the same trouble? I really either want to go back to what I was taking or something else and slowly get off of everything. I have chronic neck pain 4-fusions and suspected nerve damage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Tried posting last nite, but site was screwed up. Your doc should be ok with 48 hour changes. mine was. But it is definately not good for post-op pain. I have cancer, take it for long term pain. There are way more effective meds out there for post-op pain. You sometimes have to fire your doc's and get better ones. I know, I've had a bunch. Some good, some sucked. My advice is a pain management doc, they seem to be the best. It seems more intimidating to go to them, but it's ok. Hope this helped.

25mcg Patcher, 48 hour changer.
Helpful - 0
Talk to your doc! I am on a 48hr change now. No prob with that from my doc. I don't take for post-op pain tho, I am a cancer patient. Maybe there is a better fit out there for u. Just ask. The 48 hr change is done all the time. If u are a big guy or hot all the time like me, u just metobalize it faster. No big whoop with my doc. I'm a 48 hr changer now.
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
For some people the patches don't last a full 72 hours and their drs. tell them to change every 48 hrs. I go to the dr. tomorrow and it's time to taper down to a 25mg patch. I can't wait to be off of these. I can't remember who said they aren't to be used for post op pain, but they are 100% correct!! That's how I ended up on them. My surgeon or family dr. didn't put them on me. A nurse practitioner in rehab slapped them on me. I started with 100mcg.

I won't be going to another pain med because I don't have pain. I never abused the fentanyl patch and all I want is to be off of them!! A man of faith, I wish you te best and please keep us posted.

Take Care.....LS
Helpful - 0
yes i had same proplem when i started.thats why i quit
Helpful - 0
Talk to your doc! I am on a 48hr change now. No prob with that from my doc. I don't take for post-op pain tho, I am a cancer patient. Maybe there is a better fit out there for u. Just ask. The 48 hr change is done all the time. If u are a big guy or hot all the time like me, u just metobalize it faster. No big whoop with my doc. I'm a 48 hr changer now.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I was on patches for years lucky for me I was on Oxycontin also so I just weened of. One time I did just come off patches 75mc it was bad I was sick for a week and didnt sleep. My doc put me on lortab after a week and I was better. Patches are not a good pain killer to be on if you read the box it says not for post op use. they were intended for use on cancer patients and other terminal illness. My suggestion is talk to your doctor! Hang in there and hope all goes well with you!

the rock!!!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.