Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

jenny07

I was catching up on old posts since I have been in migraine he11 for the past few days and I read your post about how you look at other people and wonder how they function without that warm fuzzy feeling. And I just laughed, I thought the same thing everyday at work, the grocery store, and when I picked up my daughter from day care. I STILL look at everyone and wonder in amazement how they have the energy to go to work AND cook dinner. I am lucky I get out of bed and get a shower and sit my butt down at work all day. Then I get home and to the couch I go. The housework, my husbands business paperwork, the bills (thank god for automatic payment) ALL need attention badly. Not to mention my 3 year old needs her mommy back. Will it ever end???
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Isn't that funny...how we all do tend to think alike? lol
I guess that's what kind of bonds us all together...we all understand one another's thoughts cuz we have had them ourselves.
Even when I don't understand MY OWN thoughts...lol..someone here can usually figure them out for me! lol
It ends......it does. I went throught w/d's bad when I first stopped taking them 3 and a half years ago when I found out I was pregnant. Then, I started up again when she was born. Stupid, huh?! But I did it anyway.
Then, I got pregnant again and my OB gave them to me for pain....and I didn't take very many cuz I was pregnant, but I still shouldn't have taken them at all. I just rationalized that my OB gave them to me, so it was ok.
Deep down, I knew better.
SO....now here I am, again....taking them and I shouldnt be.
I know I have to stop again.....but the memories of those w/d are not helping me with this decision I have to make..lol.
The w/d really only last 3 days..the physical ones anyway. At least thats how it was for me. Its just gonna be 3 days of hell that I am not looking forward to re-visisting.....But, I did this to myself........
Helpful - 0
I bet I am still spelling it wrong..lol
I thought it read 'prgntnscared' meaning you were pregnant and taking pills and you were scared. So thats why i posted 'preg' back to you......
Sorry! I always do that........spell the name wrong......:::smacking forehead::::
Helpful - 0
No, you are right pregnant and scared, that was totally me :) The first couple of times I quit taking the norcos I tried it C/T and man, that was the worst pain ever!!! Labor without meds would be easier. I started taking wellburtrin 1 week before I quit and did this while tapering. My last day I had 3 10mg's and I didn't really go below that except for 2 10mg's the two days before but I was waiting until the W/D's got really bad before I was going to take another. I waited, and waited, and they never came. It was so strange. I had some W/D but nothing serious, my tummy was upset but no diarrhea, and my legs were a tad restless but if I moved them they were fine, sleep was the only thing but I was still getting 5 hours. I am convinced the wellburtrin helped tremendously, cause that was the only thing I did differently. I can tell you that if I was not pregnant I would not be here on this forum or even thinking about quitting. It takes a strong person to quit because they need to quit so I envy you for taking that first step. Keep me posted on how things are going.
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
hang in there .it will all end.it just takes time.im on hour 48 c/t thinking when will it ever end too.but i know it will because this is not my first detox and i know how beautiful life is after the hell is over with.keep up the good work.RT
Helpful - 0
Well, thank you for the support...but keep in mind I haven't made that first step yet....I"m still clinging to that warm fuzzy feeling......UGH.
I am thinking when would be a good time to quit..and I"m gonna go from there.
I have about 40 norcs left....I am probably gonna finish those and go C/T when they are gone...which, knowing ME will be in a couple of days.
I know the taper thing won't work for me.
Helpful - 0
I think whether it's taper or c/t it's pick your poison - mild suffering for weeks / months or intense suffering for days / weeks. For jenny, who I believe is taking 30 to 40 pills a day, a successful and relatively pain-free taper could take months. People like myself don't have the willpower to successfully complete a long and protracted taper. They will just start seld-medicating again. Others are (rightfully) so frightened because of previous experiences with acute withdrawal that they will do anything to avoid that intense phase and thus prefer the taper method.
Helpful - 0
Well, I've got 40 norcos left....and on the average, I take about 10- a day right now.
It was the 5/500's I was taking 30-40 of a day. For some reason, I dont know why, but I take alot less of the norcs than the 5's.
I mean, you would think if I was taking 40 5's a day, I'd be taking 20 norcs but I don't. Wierd, cuz 2 5/500's have the same hydrocodone as one norc does. But, for some reason....I don't take as much of them as the others.
So, how would I taper then? I mean, last time I quit I did it c/t but if you all think tapering is easier on the w/d's...then can someone give me an idea of how to taper off? Scott? Do I just start tomorrow by taking 1 norco in the morning instead of my usual 3?
Helpful - 0
Hey- I know you didn't ask me :-) LOL but I'm offering to share my experience tapering.  If you can make the meeting tonight, we can make the "topic du-jour" be a how-to-taper primer.  I wrote a post to leeloo earlier with most of my advice, such as it is.  If you'd like more info, post to me. And if you can make the meeting, there's a post here where you can get on the list.

Peace
/D
Helpful - 0
Hey, you have taken that first step - you want to try to quit! That's awesome! I don't care how you do it because, once you start your quit, all you have to do is keep your quit - one day at a time. And you should celebrate each day that you are free.

That said ...

If you have 40 pills and want to quit when you're down to zero, try this:

Day 1: take 8, 32 left
Day 2: take 7, 25 left
Day 3: take 6, 19 left
Day 4: take 5, 14 left
Day 5: take 4, 10 left
Day 6: take 4, 6 left
Day 7: take 3, 3 left
Day 8: take 2, 1 left
Day 9: take 1, 0 left

Of course, if I had 40 left and a 10 a day habit, I would probably quit in 4 days after taking 10 each day!
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
I really didn't have a choice. I'm on fentanyl pain patches and c/t would be impossible for me. I started on 100mcg's and went to 75mcg's, then to 50, then to a 25 plus a 12mcg. Today I went to the dr. and she cut it down to just a 25 patch. I didn't abuse the drugs so I don't have to deal with cravings. I was put on them for pain but I now longer have any.
I think it's up to the person. Some do better c/t and get it over with and some taper so they can adjust as they go down in dose.
I hope we all reach out goals,
Take Care....LS
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.