Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Have a question.

I had been taking methadone for about 3 1/2 months(before then i took painkillers such as vicodin etc.). I was taking 30 mgs a day and waned down 5 mg every 3 days. I felt good about it until finally the drugs wore off. I have this really bad anxiety and cant sleep at night too well. Ive been using marijuana to cope with the withdrawels since the doctor wouldnt prescibe me anything since i smoke pot. Im on day 4 of taking none and was just wondering maybe when will this anxiety end  
and does marijuana do anything to prolong the anxiety. The pot seems to be more helpful than anything I figured i would just ask and see if someone could tell me more about this or maybe have some suggestions of something I could do for the anxiety.
Thanks
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It's nice to hear that someone else besides me smokes pot to ease the W/D's.  

I've smoked pot every day for many..many years now....and while it never really helped me get to sleep....it is good for calming the stomach, and easing the mind.  

Try some OTC sleeping medicine like Tylenol PM, or something like that....it might help with the sleeping problems too.....other than that....it's sadly just a waiting game.  

Helpful - 0
Thanks man. Yeah the pot seems to be really just keeping my mind from going haywire. Doesnt really help with the anxiety though but i guess its b/c i have a tolerance maybe.
Helpful - 0
yea....if you are anything like me..you definitely have a tolerance.

You know something that might seem wierd...but really helped me with the anxieity?.....I took Immodium AD, and Xanax.....those two mixed...they really helped take away the nastiness for a bit...

if you live near a drug store...run out and get some....i did the other morning when i was hurting really bad..and suprisingly...it helped.
Helpful - 0
i think xanex is out of the question for me since i dont need to go get any illegally and my doctors wont prescribe me any. But this Immodium AD what is this?
Helpful - 0
It's a medicine for the shits.

Its called Immodium AD.  Immodium AD is an opiate but it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier so it won't interfere with your withdrawl process but it will help alot.

You can buy it at any local drug store.....and I can really say it took the edge off for me...and stopped the anxiety some.....

Helpful - 0
Another thing that might help is NyQuil.  I have tried to use it when I have wd'd and it definitely helps.  It has some tylenol in it, which will help with aches and pains and cold medicine for the runny nose and sneezing that tend to accompany withdrawal.  And best of all, it will knock you out!!!
Helpful - 0
Yeah I took some Nyquil the other night and it seemed to help me alot. Im just hoping my anxiety only gets better from today on.
Helpful - 0
Anxiety is the worst part of the withdrawal for me.  I recommend deep breathing as well.  It sounds so simple, but it can really help, especially with panic attacks and severe anxiety.  Slowly breathe in through your nose then release out slowly through your mouth.  Do this 3-5 times and see how you feel.  Repeat if necessary.
I hope you feel better.  Remember, the good things about feelings and emotions is that they do eventually change!!!!!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.