Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Just quit Vicoprofen

Hello everyone, I have been reading some of the posts on this site for the last couple of weeks in anticipation of quitting my 14 month vicoprofen addiction. My story:

14 months ago I was in a car accident and broke my leg in a bad spot. I had surgery and of course was told that the recovery would be long and painful. They were right and wrong, yes it was painful, but the recovery was much faster then anyone expected. However, the pain meds were fantastic and I was hooked. I have had some liver issues in the past so I asked for vicoprofen to avoid the acetominephin. After about 6 weeks my pain level was such that I could easily have taken over the counter meds for treatment, although I was the only one who could know that so the drugs were easily obtainable, at regular doctors and online pharms.

More in next post....
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
In the beginning I was taking 8 7.5 mg vicoprofen a day for legitimate pain and was also getting high. I knew right from the start that I was going to take them longer than needed, it was just too much fun, I figured what the hell, this gives me an excuse to be addicted and I will deal with quitting in a couple of months. My use fluctuated the entire time, the most I ever took was 11 or so, I probably average more like 6 and that took considerable effort. Then something funny happened, my intake was limited by what my body would allow. Taking 10 would make me sick so I went to 8 and so on and so forth. Then they would make me feel good again and I would go back up. Finally, there were more bad days than good and I decided to taper.

Over the course of the last month I went from 8 pills to 2. It was difficult, but yesterday I stopped altogether. It's been 36 hours since my last pill. The first 24 were much easier than I thought, I even slept well! I was hoping that my taper left me in a very low w/d state. BUT, right at the 24 hour mark today, when I would usually take one of the pills, the w/ds truly started. Now I sit here wanting very badly to take a pill, justifying it a thoudand little ways (continue the taper to 1 pill, you made it 36 hours it was a good first try, you gave your body a small break, blah blah blah). Anyway, I know the next few days will be uncomfortable and I just wanted to say hello and get some of this off my chest. Thanks for reading.
Helpful - 0
You say you used online pharmacies?  How do you know what you were getting?  How long did it take to get the meds?  Which ones did you use?

TIA
Helpful - 0
Hi and welcome to the forum...it sounds like you have done great with the taper and though you may be experiencing w/d there are lots of ways to feel a little better and get through them....first..posting here and venting is a huge help. I was there about 5 weeks ago so I know what some of what you are feeling.  There is the Thomas Recipe which has been posted many times... for sleep valerian root or Tylenol PM, hot baths or a hot tub is helpful too!  For energy Vitamin B-12 and B-6, i drink Emergen-C which is a powdered energy drink that is loaded with Vitamins. For restless legs the Hylands Restful Legs (think you can get it at Walgreens)  

You have made such a great start and you are on the path to recovery....the w/d  really suck but you can get through them!  Many here to help you so please ask any questions you may have.  Please stay with us and keep posting. This place was a godsend for me when I went through the w/d 5 weeks ago so I hope you find it helpful as well!

Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Welcome, you are in the right place if you need support.  Stay here and post away, there are some really helpful people on this site..  Peace, G
Helpful - 0
Thank you for the quick responses, it really helps to talk about it a bit. I am very antsy right now, just uncomfortable, chills, sweating, skin is kind of crawling. I can deal with it at this level, it's bad but not overpowering, thank God I tapered. If it stays like this I can probably make it a few days or so until things improve, hopefully not longer than a week.

I am more worried about after the w/ds stop. The psychological dependence and waiting for my brain to get back to normal. The depression and anxiety are my biggest fears. I have heard it can take 6 to 18 months. I would really like to get through that time without transferring my dependency to something else like drinking. I plan on eating healthy, and exercising a lot, reallly take care of myself for the first time in a long time.
Helpful - 0
gjgjgjg,

Look, I wish I was never able to buy my drugs off the internet in the first place. It only made it that much easier to stay hooked, so I am not going to share with you how it is done or where you can get them. I can tell you that it is very unsafe and more than once I received medication that looked EXACTLY like a generic brand but had absolutely no effect. SCARY!, who knows what chemical I put into my system, could that be what started me feeling bad?? Take my advice and just stay away from the online pharms.

Plus, they are illegal and sooner or later the FEDS will make an example out of people like me or it could be you.
Helpful - 0
Maybe you should think about going to NA.  It offers great support and helps you stay clean,,,,That will get you out of your head too,, Good Luck, G
Helpful - 0
I have thought long and hard about going that route. I think I am at that point where I am still unwilling to admit that I have a problem requiring that kind of help. I mean, I still feel like I can control it! LOLLOLLOL... That even sounds stupid to me!

I guess I am reluctant to admit how easily I self medicate. I was a heavy drinker in college, but I have always been able to take a few months off. Of course, I am also addicted to nicotine, and love to gamble. NA is narcotics anonymous right? Is that the one associated with Scientology? Which type of addiction program is the best in your opinion? Again, thanks for the help.
Helpful - 0
The best program is the one that works...why not shop around ,,attend a meeting  ,,keep coming back here ,,,but talk,talk,talk,,it really does help,,and no NA is not assoc. with anyone and they deal with addiction,,,all addictions,, good luck,,you"ll make it
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.