Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Question about chronic pain and pain meds

Good afternoon.  I have a question about people who are in chronic pain who take pain meds.  I read that only a small percentage of people become addicted to their pain meds (2%) when they use them for long term chronic pain.  They become dependeant on them, but only 2% become addicted.  Ive read alot of posts on this board, and many of you said that your addiction started from being in legitimate pain and then it became a full blown addiction.  It just seems to me that the percentage of people who get addicted should be more than 2%.  what do you think?  My g/f is one of those 2%.  I guess I am just curious about this.  that seems like such a low percentage.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182493 tn?1348052915
the 2% probably doesn't include all the people who have never admitted that they were having a problem to their docs.. I am sure there are many closeted pain medicine addicts out there.. I never told my doc.
Helpful - 0
I totally don't believe that. I think if everyone had an opportunity to become addicted to opiates, it would be closer to 25%. Just a guess really, but 2% seems WAY low.
Helpful - 0
2% seems insanely low...I agree that many people don't admit this to their docs....I didn't and I'm sure if I asked her for a scrip now she'd give me one...never the wiser!  Just from seeing all the new people coming to this board makes it very hard to believe!  Where is that statistic from?
Helpful - 0
Well, I guess I am one of those 2%  Started with the pain meds after my back surgery and I was off to the races.  I find it funny that when I went to rehab over half addicted to pain meds were after surgeries.  Also, when I told my doctor he was not surprised.  In my opinion I would say the percentages are more like 30% who get addicted after some kind of surgery or pain issue.
Helpful - 0
I think you cant always belive what you read...
Sure perhaps its only 2% in my books its larger...You have to take into account that alot of doctors dont believe that addiction is a disease.....So I think that gets low percentage...

I have seen alot of people become addicted to them...and I also belive its a matter of choice...No one can call you an addict....I think its admitting to yourself that you are.....then it becomes personal...

But who knows...really...I dont believe it though...2 % lol..
Helpful - 0
Your body has natural opiate pumps They feed these chemicals to the brain and gut.  The brain produces a series a number of these chemicals to help you feel better and mantain a sense of well being. When ANYONE, starts taking them (opiates) for any lenghth of time.. several weeks or more, our bodies slowly stop producing these natural neurotransmitters. The drugs (any from the opiate family) will be many times stronger then what our bodies produce naturaly, so we, our brains, become used to this euphoric state were in. When we try to stop we go into withdrawls, our bodies have stopped making these substances naturaly and as a result our brains do a 180 from feeling good to feeling horrible. We sink into major depression, are very anxious, irritable, suffer a loss of appitite, as well as a whole host of other sympoms. The amount of time it takes our brains to start producing enough to make us feel "normal" again takes time and is also somewhat dependant on the individual as well as the amount and duration of the exposure to opiates.
  I'm a paramedic as well as a recovering opiate addict.. So I have talked to a lot of people as well as well as done quite a bit of reaserch on this subject.
Anyway, I know my life is way better without the "pills" it just takes a little while to get back to "normal"...  It's worth it.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.