Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

this room and na

Hello everyone, I"ve only been in this forum a few days and I think its a great place for support but like most online sites theres a few " bad apples ". Its the people talking about na that bother me. I"ve been a member for a few years and maybe these are newcomers,,I dont know but they SHOULD NOT talk about na unless someone asks how they did it,,then they should make it clear that what they did in na helped THEM but may not help everyone. " Something that particulary bothers me is people with na attached to there screen names. The 11th tradition of na states " our public relations policy is based on ATTRACTION not PROMOTION, we need to always maintain personal anonymity ". People in na are not robots to the program. there are things about na that I dont agree with but most I do. When someone has na in there screen name it gives the impression that they somehow represent na and they dont. NA is much like this site,,,theres people in na I like and people I dont but I reach out to the addict not the person, so if someone is openly promoting na plz remind them of the 11th tradition,,theres other traditions that deal with anonimity but unless you ask I wont tell,,thanks for this site ,,,addicts need ALL the support they can get.
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
TOTALLY AGREE W/ ORIGINAL POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch drug addiction on HBO adout steam fitters, no cult CHIT, some people LIKE me have a mind of my own, positive, private psycologist if necessary!! Everyone has ther own idea of recovery, there is alot of 411 out there in this day and age!!
But no CULT, Im stll going to have my wine, and im going to be fine!!!  Its like people pushing their personal religion!! I am very personal about my religion and NONE of anys business or will not impose it on U, its very uncomfortable!

Instead state facts and tell me where u learned them from....u know

Thank You

Choo  Hubby to desparate

Please dont take this the wrong way Tex, maybe im just not there yet, i try to search, talk to people, and educate my self on NA, there are plenty of VIEWS that i dont agree with!!  

I would rather have dinner w/ this board and hash it out!!!(that would be sooo cool)

Love CHOO
Helpful - 0
OK,last post,I"m outta here ,,you people are hopeless. The 1st step in na does NOT say your powerless over your doc,,thats laughable. It says powerless over your ADDICTION, that means ANY mind altering drug, ANY, that includes booze,valiums and half the **** you people use for wds. No one in this room could handle na,,aa is more your style,,there the 1st step says powerless over booze. That means you can stand up,, claim SOBRIETY and be loaded off your ass on everything BUT booze,,,sound good  ? probably,,gl to you all your gonna need it
Helpful - 0
As an addict you should know that quitting using is only half the battle and support groups are essential to staying clean like N/A

An addict cannot do it alone,  thats the problem in the first place like the like the first step.

Admitting that your powerless against your drug of choice and that your life has become unmanageable......

Addicts think they are in control and you know that is Bull.........
Helpful - 0
What's up?  Way to go on bringing out the traditions.  I need a reminder every now and then.  Have a blessed day!
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
You're done because I don't agree?
I don't get it.  You took the time to post your thoughts.... You took the time to publicly bring NA into a public controversy.  That must be ok just as long as any and all repliers to your post agree with you.
This is what I don't yunderstand about this forum anymore.
I thought we were having a normal discussion but apparently that's impossible here lately.  Everyone gets so touchy.
You brought this up.  
This is why I never post anymore.  There was a time when this place helped me but now it's full of people who like to soapbox and run away when a difference in opinion pops up.
Take care everyone.  GL to all.
Helpful - 0
no advertisment and posters is not what they mean, tradition 10 says na has no opinion on outside issues,,hence the na name ought never be drawn into public controversy. If someone has na in there screen name and disagrees with sub and says so then there doing just that. NA is invited to speak at or bring meetings to hospitals and institutions ,,they dont ask to and if you read the text you"ll see that they carry the message thru meetings not promote it in forums, Theres nothing wrong with telling someone how you did it if they ask and if you tell them that what works for me may not work for you,,,gl to all and if your way is working ,whatever that way may be then stay right where you are.
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
I agree in a lot of ways and I'm not trying to argue but this is not just a public forum or a forum about everyday life or political issues.  This is a forum specifically about addiction and sharing what worked for you as it applies to addiction seems to me like it's exactly what NA and AA are for.
I have been a very active member of AA for years.  I kow some people who share their addiction with the outside world and others who like to retain their anonymous status.
If I've seen the light and if I see someone struggling, I will give them the option and the knowledge that there is help and hope for them outside of this particular forum.
There are people out there who do not know about such programs and I feel like it's a responsibility for those of us who know about them to share it with those who really need it.  They can make their own choice from there.
Helpful - 0
OK I"m done. I"m only quoting from the BOOK but the one thing I have learned is to agree to disagree,,lol,,,,again,,gl to all
Helpful - 0
hi i am new but been here before i was sober for 7 years until i discover pain killers started with one vicodin and my addiction lasted about 5 years this last year it got very bad at the end i was taking 1000mg  oxycodone a day  to just feel normal than i did this rapid detox on march 8 and its been 12 days after last time i took the pill but i still feel like **** very weak and deprestion is so bad all i want to do is nothing how long is this agony going to last i want my life back and one more thing i feel very dizzy can anyone help me
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
Just an FYI.. if you're interested in the story of NA which in essence is the story of AA, check out this web page.  It's an interview with Bill W., the founder of AA and he goes into how rapidly AA grew because he and the original members carried the message to other alcoholics.

http://www.barefootsworld.net/askbillw.html
Helpful - 0
First of all that NA Girl from Texas was not who she said she was....she was someone...(.gee I wonder who!!!!,) that was trying to "stir the pot" and cause unrest here at the forum. It ;looks like she succeeded...just let this go. Everyone, I hope, agrees that we all have different opinions and beliefs and that is the way it should be here and that is how it usually is. People are just offering opinions and information. Don't let some lunatic ruin this forum!
Helpful - 0
First of all that NA Girl from Texas was not who she said she was....she was someone...(.gee I wonder who!!!!,) that was trying to "stir the pot" and cause unrest here at the forum. It ;looks like she succeeded...just let this go. Everyone, I hope, agrees that we all have different opinions and beliefs and that is the way it should be here and that is how it usually is. People are just offering opinions and information. Don't let some idiot ruin this forum!
Helpful - 0
Your right,,although posting quotes from a book is obviously not giving MY opinion as girly says but again your right. people come here for support and recovery not arguing. When I said I was gone I meant from this debate,,apparently AA doesnt use the cliche " let it go ",,,one more time gl to all
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
No one has to go to NA and obviously it's not the only way but suboxone is mentioned a lot too.  No one forces anyone to take that.
To me it just seems that if you've found that something works for you and you have gotten better, wouldn't you wnt to share it with someone who is stuggling as a suggestion?
By not advertising NA I believe they mean they don't put posters up all over town.  Word of mouth is how it's always been passed along.  The main point of AA./NA is receiving the message then passing it along to help your fellow man.
Again, you take what you want and leave what you want.

Helpful - 0
Well this should open a can of worms....

Anyways, I have a tendacy of sharing the same opinion of Postive .......I've seen N.A posted on this site alot....and there are people here that go to the program....to each is own...
Helpful - 0
147172 tn?1226758178
Promoting NA to the average person is one thing, offering a suggestion for someone who is an addict by mentioning NA is not shamelessly promoting it.
It's sharing the experience of NA with someone who would most likely benefit from it.  If no one mentioned it to addicts there would be no one in the rooms.
Helpful - 0
186166 tn?1385259382
Oh, I think NA in Texas was just high...high on life.  She just seemed a little excited about getting clean and wanted to share it with everyone...and that she did (hehe).  I don't think she meant any disrespect to NA.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.