Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Migraines + med school + butalbital = addiction/rebound headaches, now what?

So, I have had migraines since I was a child, and was prescribed Butalbital for them at that time.  Over the years I have tried all the new meds and they don't work/have nasty side effects/etc., so Butalibital it is!  School stress, marriage stress, financial stress and lack of sleep and exercise (I used to run all the time, but school and married life don't leave me time to do so anymore) have given me more frequent and intense headaches.  I have been taking more pills as a result, and now, I have the rebound headaches, neck pain and a feeling of need to take the pills.  The headaches (stress or rebound induced) are not tolerable around exam time!  How can I safely get back to not needing daily pills to keep the headaches/neck aches (tension) at bay?  I have read stopping this stuff cold turkey leads to seizures - scary!!  What can I do?  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
12 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am in the exact same situation as you are. I am a first year medical student and I just got through the worst exams of the year but my migraines were unbearable that I contemplated taking a leave of absence. I just started to take fiorcet. I'm not sure how long this post is but if you are still around, could you give me some advice on how you got through medical school with your migraines?
Helpful - 0
hello there!  i am a newbie, and this was my first post, so you bet i will still be posting.  i hate feeling like i have no choice - every time i think i can get things under control something else comes up, which triggers headaches, and i end up taking pills on a regular basis.  lately, it has been non-stop.  med school is no cake walk, and topping med school with all the other stress in my life has pushed me over the edge!  it seems like if i don't take the pills, i have an endless string of headaches - stress?  rebound?  withdrawl?  who knows at this point.  all i DO know is i cannot afford to have the headache, so pills are the only option.  

i would LOVE to know what your neurologist is doing for you - i should see one again, it has been a LONG TIME!  i have terrible insurance through school, though, and have no idea if they would even pay for that - i hate insurance companies!!

thanks for your post - i would love to hear from you again!

LTL MD
Helpful - 0
Hello there,  LTL MD.....if you are still posting let me know.

I have almost the same identical problem as yours, only I am withdrawing from Fioricet w/Codeine which also has Caffeine, Tylenol and Butalbital ingredients...plus just plain Butalbital/APAP(tylenol) caffeine tablets AND Fiorinal w/Codeine which has Aspirin/Butalbital/Caffeine in them.  I use each one for the different type of onset headache, some resulting in migraine, some just end up stress or slightly milder headaches.  I, too have had migraines since I was a child, too many years.

If you are still posting I will be happy to share some of my experiences with coping and withdrawal, and I'm finally getting help from a Neurologist, I'm hoping anyway.  Migraines have been very debillitating and have interrupted my life just awful.

My best,
CAN
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I am tapering off vicodin as we speak.. and have tried to quit a bunch of times.. I always fail.. so this time i decided to taper.. I do get some headaches but not frequently.. my main problem is anxiety and tummy trouble. I have been on this board for over a month.. My quit date was a week and a half ago.. but I broke my toes and had to extend it due to the pain..
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Or drop down to what you can tolerate with out going into Wd's say 4/day.. then taper off from there.. alot of people can do that.. drop to what is still comfortable and then taper.. either one off a day or one every few day or a week.. it generally takes a few days to adjust to the lower dose when you drop some.. you have been on it along time..
Helpful - 0
have you gone through this yourself?  what is it like?  do you get REALLY bad headaches while cutting back?  that is what REALLY scares me, that and the threat of seizures!  do you know how many people actually have seizures/are at risk for seizures while decreasing daily intake of the drug?
Helpful - 0
it varies from 4-10, depending on how bad the headaches are and how stressed i am - like someone else posted, i worry about getting a headache, so if i have an exam that day i take one before the exam to prevent anything from happening.  

i was thinking of just dropping a pill a day, until i don't take any unless i get a full blown migraine.  
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
very few people have seizures will tapering or detoxing.. and the ones that do are generally coming off lots of meds. I wouldn't let that scare you..
Helpful - 0
thanks for the input, it does help!  well, after the next round of exams are over (which is very soon) i will have to give that a try.  if that fails, which i'm hoping and praying it WON'T, i will have to talk to some sort of medical professional. :)

thanks again - and hang in there - sorry about your toes!  i know how bad that is - i have broken one of my toes so many times there are really no bones left in it, it just kind of bends in all directions.  
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I know its scary.. he will understand. You are someone with a condition that requires the meds..

How many are you taking a day?? Some people drop a pill off their daily intake every week.. some drop a half a pill every few days.. I have heard of some people dropping a whole pill everyday.. that is more of a fast taper..  Really up to you and your situation. you will feel some withdrawl while tapering.. usually just some very mild symptoms.. anxiety, some chills etc.
Helpful - 0
being a future physician, i am really scared to, as i have know the man for over 10 years and he is also my parents physician.  i know that sounds really stupid - but i am ashamed.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
Sounds like a taper plan is the best bet in your situation.. have you talked to your doc about it??
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.