Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

do wd's still last long after tapering?

I'm wondering if I am just prolonging this by tapering or if I am making the withdrawals easier to deal with. I have been tapering for 5 days now and feeling it beleive me. I wonder if instead of 4 awful days I'll be having many more. I know wd's don't end after the four day mark but that is when they peak and start to turn around so after 5 days of discomfort I could've been starting to fell better today instead of dreading the week to come. UGH!!!!! I am so confused and so ready to just get this over with and not dwell on it anymore. This forum is really helping me but I am so jealous of the people that were strong enough for ct and started when I did and are through the worst of it and I have so much more to come. Someone please reassure me
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
193953 tn?1272075026
I have done both. C/T and trying to taper. Honey, you are the strong one to have them and have the control NOT to take them! Don't you think any different. The reason most people say they have gone C/T is because their source ran out! If you have the pills and have enough control NOT to take them, you are, in my opinion, the strongest person here!
Helpful - 0
I agree...I think people who taper have a lot of willpower.  I tried to taper for years and just couldn't do it.  Everytime I would get a full bottle of pills, I would just start taking more again.  I went c/t 12 days ago from 150 mg/day of norco and I am feeling much better....it is the best thing I ever did.  Just stay strong and focused...count out your pills for the day and stick with it.  I can't say which way is better, only for myself.  Prayers to you...
Helpful - 0
you gave me chills thank you.....not that i have much but if you need anything I am here :)
Helpful - 0
Thank you I feel sooooo much better
Helpful - 0
193953 tn?1272075026
I really appreciate that. I don't want anyhting... I was just reading and stuff and happened upon you. I don't really post that much. I don't really get too much of a response. I just read what you said and was like what? TAPERING??? Everyone wishes they could do that. You get the pills and the intentions are good but not unless you have someone hold them for you, you justify them. If you hand them over, you are no longer in a world where no one else knows but your cyberpals! You have much strength! Don't doubt yourself and just push forward! You are on that path and headed for the glory. Let us all be blessed with that strength. No matter what your "devil" is. Everyone has one, can they just admit it. There is such a stigma on drugs because of the way they are portrayed, but they are the same as say, shoving your face full of 50,000 calories a day, or puffing them smokes! It is the same but addicts are looked so bad at. It isn't fair. It is hard enough trying to get off of it but when you need help and get strong enough to tell someone, you get the"look". We all know the "look". The same as the obese lady gets at a buffet but about 100 times worse. We ALL have devils and one shouldn't be more ashamed than another!
Helpful - 0
I tappered and still had a week of bad WD's and then another week of mental and physical WD's. there really isn't any way around the WD's it seems to take a long time to get them out of your system. If you were able to go 4 days without your pills and felt nothing then you aren't addicted. I was for 4 years with a huge habbit at times, I tappered fast to one half 10mg pill twice a day then CT. The WD's set in pretty fast but I'm thankful that part is behind me
Helpful - 0
noone knows and noone will ever kn ow. Like I said before my parents and most of my family are alcoholics and some are recovering but all are looked at as no good.....trouble....not trustworthy.....I've seen it all my life and promised myself to never drink because of it. Thank you for your time you have really made my day. It is my sons 2nd birthday today and although he is napping now I feel the urge to get him out of the house today. Thanx to you
Helpful - 0
thank you
Helpful - 0
193953 tn?1272075026
I have never answered the question of if the WD's last after a taper. Most, cannot answer this due to not being able to do it. I can tell you that I have started out "tapering" but I have never gotten to the end of that. I went from Sun-Thur with no Hydro for my back. I had some Relafan another doc had given me. I couldn't take it. It is an NSAID and they cause me great chest pain. I took them though. I took a stomach pill with it in hopes that would keep the chest pain at bay. If I don't take it for too long, I am ok. I am doing OK on it though. I take 2 in the morning and 2 at night against the drs. wishes. I had to do something, you know? The last time I tried to go off Hydro, I did it with Ultram. I know that is someone's devil but I am ok with it. I take Adderall, Xanax, Lyrica and Hydro. All, very addicting. I have NO problem with any but the Hydro. I don't take it from anybody else but my doc but I take more than I am supposed to. I tell myself it is the pain but is it? I don't know. I survived off of it. I hurt in my back and leg, so badly. I am in PT right now too. So, I have the question do I need the meds, really, I can suffer and do without them and survive? Why suffer when there is something out there that helps? My pain can go from 10 to 2-3 in minutes with it. Not at the directions he has me at, but one time he had me on (2) 7.5 Hydros, 3 times a day. This was the trick! He has me on 1, 5 Hydro 3 times a day. Not enough for the pain. Do I have like 3-5 days with no pain and take them like I need them or do I have all 10 days with just a little edge taken off? This is my struggles. I am going to pain management soon. Don't know what is in store for me... Gotta choose our battles and not waiver!
Helpful - 0
193953 tn?1272075026
Get that baby boy up and go! Everyone says, don't wake a sleeping baby. What do they know? Any baby would like to wake from a nap with mom getting him ready to go and do something. When I was laid off my first job, I cried for a week, then it is like I git the big light bulb over my head. I would get up early, get Raven up and get her dressed, go and get some old bags of cheap bread from the bakery and we would go to the park with the ducks. We would feed them all morning. She was 3-4 right then and she will be 9 next month and still remembers and talks about those times when mommy didn't have a job...lol! She talks about it and we laugh. When I got last Good Friday off, Lily, my youngest wasn't born yet, me, Raven and Mike went and done the same thing. It wasn't the same but we made other memories. Mike and I talk about that was before we were grounded...lol! Time to make some new memories. When I was on maternity leave, Lily and I hit the park every morning! I was there to walk and get some weight off but she was there, just for the ride. I think that was the only time she was quiet the whole 8 weeks...lol!!!
Helpful - 0
well you already know Ultram is my devil 11 years of them, so you know what I think about that. But I also can't say to much because I don't have pain, I never really took them for pain I guess that is the downfall of quitting. My doc gave them to me for severe mestrual cramps and they worked maybe the first month or 2 but I took the everyday and he has never picked up on it. I was only supposed to take them for pms like 3 days amonth yeah right. Someone is waking up so it is birthday time. Keep posting because I have enjoyed chatting with you
Helpful - 0
193953 tn?1272075026
Yeah, when it is a "non-narcotic" they just don't give it a second glance! My gyno prescribed me Bupap for headaches. He put 20 refills on them! I had not even seen him before he done it. I just called. It was after Lily was born and I was still in his care. As you can tell, by previous posts, Bupap can be in the addictive category too. Anything can, if that is how you want them to be. I have my med cabinet packed with a junkies dream. Muscle relaxers, nerve meds and pain meds.... If you choose to take any of them, after a while, it will become a problem in some way. You can withdraw from Pepsi!

I hope your little fella has a very good birthday and I hope you got him a big cake he can just dig right into!
Helpful - 0
I tapered over a two week period off of lortab...I felt ok the first week (just lots of cravings) and really bad the second week.  But not so bad you can't function and do all the things you need to do.  I also tapered really fast during the middle.  I went from 8/day, 6/day, 4/day, 3/day, ect.  All that over 4 days!!  I would really feel it the next day after making a big cut like that.  I know you are sick of the torture and want it over with, I felt the same way.  I planned on tapering over a 8 week period, and it turned out to be 2 weeks!!  I just couldn't handle the constant torture.  I am three days clean now and am glad I sped up the process, but did have some mild withdrawls and moments of serious anxiety...BUT it is sooo worth it.  Please be strong and come for support often.  
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your support
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.