Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Taper or cold turkey off of 2 Codeine a day?

Hi Guys,
I haven't posted much, but you all helped me alot several months back when I was going through withdrawals. A very close friend of mine and my husbands just admitted to me that she has tapered down to 2 Tylenol #3's from about 10 a day...she asked me if I think she should just quit now, or continue to taper...she said she has 14 pills left, with no refills, and WANTS to quit, but isn't sure the best route at this point? I think she should continue to taper, but can't figure out an appropriate taper for only 14 pills left...any ideas?? I'd appreciate any feedback concerning either a taper schedule or cold turkey advice for her...Codeine was my drug of choice, too, and it was HELL going cold turkey, BUT...I went cold turkey off a hell of alot more than 2 pills a day.
Oh, I guess she is taking one pill in the am and one in the pm. Has been on 2 a day for 5 days, I think, or maybe 4, can't remember. Thanks guys!!
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
yeah i know that its very little narcotic but withdrawal symptoms are so terrible. its a opium product and produces the same effects as that of opium. when i don't use it my body get so tired and i feel so depressed.
Helpful - 0
228936 tn?1249094248
Just throw them all down the wastepipe. It very little narcotic
Helpful - 0
390416 tn?1275185087
repost as a new question...this is on an old thread and people may not read it

sorry, I can't help you..i don't have any knowledge of poppy husk
Helpful - 0
PLZ ADVISE ME GUIDE ME ABOUT MY ABOVE POSTED ADDICTION .
Helpful - 0
thank u nick
Helpful - 0
its a opium product back home people use poppy husk tea to cure colds and pain.I used to drink poppy husk tea once in a while but i was not aware of its addictive nature.it has been declared iilegal drug in my country of origin because of its use as a drug. it produces the same effects as that of opium but it is not as much stronger like opium.i started using it a year ago i used to have  3-4 spoons get mixed in my tea and drink it. it helped me a lot to get rid of my flu i used to have a very bad one too often.but  now if i discontinue its  use i get diahrea , flu, and body weakness.i don't want to go to the doctor.its not possible because of social status.. i want to give it up of my own. do anybody have any advise for me
Helpful - 0
Hey...i would like to understand how you became dependent on poppy seeds; i've never heard of this before.  Can you shed some light on your experience?

Thanks,

Nick
Helpful - 0
i have been  using pooy seeds for over a year. i want to quit it now .i don,t want try could trukey. i would like to go for grradual withdrawal. any body can suggessest me how should i do it
Helpful - 0
thats for sure and also the fact it's codiene and not say herion for instance. i've come off that 12 years ago and that knocks you on your but.  codiene shouldn't be bad
Helpful - 0
Thanks Guys!!
I told her to do what you said, just take one a day for a few days till she feels "normal" and then use the rest for emergency only ( like withdrawal symptoms coming off of the one a day, as she has 6 kids and needs some sleep). IF she had a ton left, I'd say flush them too, but since she'll only have a few left after taking one a day for awhile, might as well keep them in case of major withdrawals...am I wrong? Thanks again for all your feedback...so you guys think that if she is coming off of just one a day, the w/d shouldn't be a nightmare?? And should be  better than coming off, say, 6 or 8 a day? I remember how bad w/d was, but that was off ten a day!! I am assuming it wont be as bad off of one! Right??
Helpful - 0
just take one pill a day until they are gone and she should be not too bad codiene is the weakest narc is easier then the  other if your mind is ready go for it. wish it was  me  good for her she will feel great after what a huge accomlishment I know this because I havn't done it yet.  I'm on 4 a day but when I only take two its not that bad.  maybe if I didn't have pain it would be easier.
Helpful - 0
With 14 pills left, I would do the following:
Take one pill for several days or until she feels "normal" again with just one
Then use the rest to try and stretch out as much as possible!! Or just flush them!
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
At two a day.. it can go either way.. tapering from 2 is still gonna produce some WD symptoms. . depends how fast she wants to get it over with??
Helpful - 0
taper, cut down the pills little by little.
Helpful - 0
I am tapering and still going through Wd's neither is very easy but I feel if they have to work and have a very busy life than it is probably best. But both are difficult good luck
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.