Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Need Some Help

I am new here and originally posted on the "good morning thread".  I have been taking percocet for about two years for fibromyalgia.  My problem is that I take so many a day that I never have enough and I know it's wreaking havoc on my body and mind.  I have been through withdrawal a few times and honestly don't know if I can survive it again.  I became very suicidal and ended up getting some to get me through it.  I have not stopped taking them for more than 12 hours in the last two years with the exception of a couple of times when I ran out.  I am so afraid to stop but I know that I have to.  I am taking way too many in a day and I'm so afraid of withdrawal.  Please help, any advice would be awesome.
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
My advice to you is to TAPER!  Keep cutting back by one or two pills every few days until you feel more comfortable stopping.  Regardless, you will probably go through some w/d but this will make it easier.  Tapering takes dedication and willpower but it is worth it!
Also, there are many over the counter things you can use to help easy the discomfort of the w/d.  Try immodium AD for diarrhea, tylenol/ibuprofin for aches and pains, make sure you drink lots of water and gatorade to stay hydrated and eat lots of green veggies, bananas and protien.  Even though eating is usually very difficult, the better you take care of yourself, the better you will feel.  You may also want to get some "restless leg" medicine and OTC sleeping pills to help you sleep.  Getting as much rest as possible will help you mentally and physically.
Maybe you could talk to your doctor about helping you taper.  I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor about getting started on an antidepressant, which can make ALL the difference for the emotional/mental aspect of detoxing.
Keep posting and talking to people here as everyone is very supportive.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do :)
GOOD LUCK!!
Helpful - 0
I have a freind who went thru a simaliar situation. What she did was taper down little by little. You could start off my taking half's for a week and then cut the halfs into halfs so on. Give them to someone who can give you your dose daily. You will go thru some w/d's like the chills, that is when you know you need another piece of them. then try to go every 6 hours. but you will not go thru the really sick phase of throwing up etc.
Helpful - 0
I really appreciate the advice.  It sounds like this is the place to be for support.  I am in such a bad place right now it's unreal.  Can anyone tell me if they have been addicted to percs and how many you would take in a day??  I guess I'm just trying to find out how out of whack I really am.  Thank you so much, I will continue to come here and chat, I need friends so desperately.  I feel extremely alone in this whole thing.
Thank you all!!
Helpful - 0
I felt the same way, no one knew, only me, i was taking 10-12 norcos everyday. you are not alone at all, we have all been thru this, just keep posting as you go thru it and we will help you.
Helpful - 0
I know how alone you feel, but you are NOT alone, especially not here.  I will be thinking about you!
I am addicted to vicodin and oxycontin if I can't find any of those, I will take percocet.  I used to take 30 + vicodin a day and now I take about 40-60 mg. of oxycontin.  I am preparing to go c/t on thursday and I am TERRIFIED!
I also get very very depressed and anxious so I can relate to that to.  We will all get through this together.
Helpful - 0
I feel your pain.....it's awful wanting to stop but withdrawals are so difficult to live through. I am tapering and although I am in some discomfort like lack of sleep, lathergy and headaches with chills it is not nearly as bad as it was when I went ct. This place has been my savior this week or else I would have given in. I know the worst is yet to come but the good souls in this forum will help me through it. 11 years is enough of my life ruined by Ultram. Just remember today is the first day of the rest of your life and no pain no gain. Whisper it to yourself if you have to. I have 4 kids and a job and I just have to push myself through the day.....get some vitamin b complex for energy (working for me) and some Restful Leg for sleep also works well for night, and then hold my hand and we can do it together if you like.
Helpful - 0
you sound like a beautiful soul.  Heavens yes, 11 years is enough isn't it?  It's been eight for me.  How does the time go by so fast, so wasted....it is so regretful.  The guilt associated with the things I have done, the memories I will never have, and the events I chose not to participate in....all for pills.
Sickening as it is, the guilt will eat us alive, and the hope is what will save us.  I have hope that I (and all of us seeking help here) will get through this, and when we are on the other side, we can help others take the path we took.  
"the other side" part is the scarriest for me.  I panic and withdrawal sucks for me just like the next guy.  BUT the life after,,, I am scared to death.  I forgot how to do anything straight...it all seems so foriegn to me.

I know I am just rambling now, but it is so good to feel great energy from the posts here on our forum.  This is like a family and I am glad you are here.

Peace~
Helpful - 0
Amen to that...this forum is saving my life right now.
Helpful - 0
Hi, if you are on percocet and if you have insuranse (I heard it's kinda pricey) maybe a good option for you would to look into Suboxone. I know a lot of people who have found help with that. I started on it Tuesday, but I'm a rare case I'll give you a brief: I've been in pain management for 7yrs for severe chronic pain due to injuries/physical problems. I've been on 1000mgs of MScontin (after I weaned myself down from 1500mg over the past year) plus 60mgs of Methadone per day. Can't tell you the exact year I moved up to that dose but its been a few. Anyway Suboxone isn't working all that well for me, but almost everyone I've talked to that has been on Vicodin, Lortab, Percocet etc... has found it helpful. From what I've heared as far as I'm concerned I have so many opiate recepters (because of the high dose meds)itching to be fed that the suboxone is just going to take a much longer process and a few other details. Well I hope this was helpful to you, because every word I type hurts, but I feel your pain too so I had to respond.
God Bless
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.