Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Worth it to taper?

I have been wondering this for a while now.  Is it worth it to taper?  I take about 60-80 mgs. of oxycontin daily and vicodin/norco when possible.  
I seem to be on the high end of suffering when I w/d either because it is harder on my body for some reason or because I am not tough at all.  
So does it make a difference to taper in terms of easing the w/d's?  Is it a big difference or not so noticeable?
I don't have the self control on my own to taper because I like the high too much and I have a way of justifying everything but now that my family knows everything I do have someone who could hold my pills and give them to me according to a taper schedule.
Any advice?
20 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I asked the same question the other day sometimes I feel like I am prolonging the inevitable but at least I can function. I think it all depends on the person and how much you take. I would try to ct first go a day or 2 without them then taper so you start with just enough to make it through the day and now you will need a lower dose because you went through a couple of days of wd's
Helpful - 0
I tapered after taking 12-14 Norcos a day for about 3 years.  I dropped it down to about 6 a day for a few weeks and then starting in Marh dropped it to about 1 a day.  Although the withdrawls were bad they were managable.  I stopped taking them all together a few days ago and this left me with muscle crawls but the flu-like symptoms were gone.  Today I feel great without even the muscle twitches.  

If you taper, YOU HAVE TO BE disciplined!  There were many times when I wanted to take an increased amount but I knew that would throw a minkey on my back with claws a scratching.

I have to echo everyone who said how free I feel not having to worry about where to get my meds.  I still don't feel 100% but take solice in the fact that this is giving me my life back.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the advice!!!!
Beaver:  I can't tell you how important it is to me to hear someone say how good it feels to not have to worry about where you are getting your pills next!!! I need all the motivation I can get in terms of hearing people say life is better w/out pills because as of today I just don't see how it can be.  I mean, in a way, I understand that things have to get better...like not worrying about where you will be getting them next and simply not having an addiction and riding this awful rollercoaster.  But I still can't imagine living a life without pills to get me thru the day.
Singha:  I have tried to go  thru some w/d's and then taper before but I have a hard time not ending up where I started so I HAVE TO congratulate you because it takes a very strong and dedicated person to taper and I believe that says a lot about your character!
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your kind words but I feel like I should not be taking any credit because if it wasn't for my kids and for this being my last refill I don't know if I would be trying to stop. This forum has really made a huge difference though this time so hopefully I can just keep following everyone here and saying to myself if they can do it so can't I. I mean people are going ct from heroin and I can't get off of Ultram! i need to start being harder on myself to push myhself. I know deep down that I am stronger than this. I mean I went through child birth 4 times now that was pain not this.
Helpful - 0
Hey Sosa:

I know how hard it is to think about life wthout pills and I too NEVER thought I could see the other side.  Quite frankly, I still don;t think I am there yet, I each day gives me a little suprise.  Your body is an amazing entity and can recover from the most dire of circumstances.  The hardest part is going to be the mental side of stopping.  You HAVE to want to stop.  Once you make that decision,  just think about your new life to come and stay focused.  Email me if you want to vent.  I would be happy to chat.
Helpful - 0
You need to give yourself a little more credit.  YOU are the one going thru the w/d's and YOU are the one who decided it was time to stop.  The reason for this is not material as the end reult will define who you are and what you can become.

Helpful - 0
I DO want to stop...desperately!! I am just terrified of the w/d's.  I have tried to go c/t many times and I never make it past 24 hours.  
I am sure it will take a while for us to learn to live life w/out pills.  But at some point in our lives we were all pill free and living.  I just wish this never would have started.  However, none of us go into it thinking, I am going to be an addict!  It happens and before you know it, you are hooked and it is too late!
Helpful - 0
I have a two year old and that is my BIGGEST motivation to get off pills!!!  I think about how strong childbirth and becoming a parent has made me and that gives me courage too.
On the other hand, it is so difficult...almost impossible to care for a child while going through withdrawals...
how do you manage?
Helpful - 0
It does happen that a patient can treat a patient but rare.

Addicts are great liars, manipulators, actors, they justify, they have cravings that are so powerful the addict will leave victims everywhere. His own family will suffer by his actions to use without remorse to anyone.

Prisons, jails, and rehabs are full of addicts accross the country. Drugs are destroying families everywhere, so I question the simplicity...........

"You have to be disciplined" ??????

Helpful - 0
If I do taper I will definitely have to have my mom hold my pills and give them out to me accordingly.  I don't think it would work for me any other way.  Regardless, I am going to suffer.
Helpful - 0
Boy Beach....I am glad we all don't have that attitude or we would all be doomed!

Discipline.....having gone thru withdrawls via self taper, I would not be on the other side without it.
Helpful - 0
He is just being realistic...some people can taper but for many it doesn't work...I think we have to be  realistic and honest with ourselves! I think he is just expressing an opinion without any sugarcoating.
Helpful - 0
I did taper from 25 hydrocoden/vicoden (its the same med) to 3 a day to 1 half twice a day then CT. I really had bad withdrawals for a week then depression and pains in legs to Rest leg no sleep etc for another week. It took me two full weeks to appreciate not having the pills and being sober. I really feel that you need to cut your pills down to as small a dose as possible then go CT. There is no way around withdrawals NO way.. but you have to be strong and get through the first few weeks which may seem like a life time. I feel better than I have felt in years
Helpful - 0
I did not mean to be dispareging anyone.  If it came across that way, I apologize to all.
Helpful - 0
That was a great explanation and very similar to my experience.
Helpful - 0
Not taken that way...no worries....I believe there are many ways to stop....I tried to taper many times but I don't have the willpower or discipline as some may!  I give credit to those who can.
Peace
Marcie
Helpful - 0
I think your comment is very intellegent for two reasons:

Having your mom distribute is the same as a nurse in detox.

Having your mom as your support is priceless.

You have to have support and help from special people to get to recovery.

Who ever it is,,,N/A,,friends,,family........

I hope the best for you there are also doctors that help with suboxone for W/Ds

You don't have to suffer,  guilt from addiction will make you feel like you have to but your a human being who has a disease, threat it like one.

I wish you the best and there are good people here to help.......
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your support.  I really really appreciate your honesty!!!  
Helpful - 0
It takes some Attitude to fight the disease of addiction....

Truth is the first step and admitting that your powerless over drugs and that your life has become unmanageable........

I'm sorry if my honesty was to blunt but it takes total honesty to start the fight.

I only wish good things for everyone here and I mean that!!

Pity parties are ok for a short time,,,doubt,,,the world is over for me........

Look at how much work addicts put into being addicts........
People here could tell unreal war stories of how they kept their stash full.

To get to recovery you must instill the same hard work and if you fall down get back up and try again. Relaspe is part of the program, don't feel bad about it learn from it....

I apoligize if my words were offensive that was not my intentions......
Helpful - 0
No need to apologize.  I appreciate your point of view and did not mean anything but that.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.