Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Newbie here

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been reading posts for the last few days.  Everyone here is so encouraging so I thought I would ask for some advice.  I have been taking hydrocodone regularly for the past few months and take about 3 10's a day at the least.  I am running out of resources and to be honest I'm sick of trying to find them.  My question is is it easier to taper to like to 5mg a day and if so will I still have withdrawals?
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Some people taper alright...

Every three days....change it..somehow lower it....ya know...
or a week...depends on your body but three days is usally good for the most part.....

Alot of people do it differently...."i dont have alot of time
I just mainly wanted to welcome you to the board, and I hope you find what you are looking for here...There are tons of people here that have the experience and will take time out of their day to be here...

Hang in there...and keep posting....
Helpful - 0
I think you may experience w/d with a taper, depending on how much you taper each time.  I know how you feel...it gets old trying to find them all the time.  Time to fill your brain with better things.  There are many methods you could use to help you quit but all in all - its hard any way you do it.  You gotta be strong and ready to kick butt!!  Coming here says your ready to do that.  We will all be behind you when you take the step.  Welcome and good luck,
Helpful - 0
Hi and welcome to the forum....Good question!  SInce you have been on for a relatively short period of time, now's the time to get off before this gets the best of you.  Worrying about coming up with enough meds to get me through made me absolutely insane!  It never stops and gets worse as you go through more pills and much quicker!  Stop the insanity now!  Have you ever had to go without?  If you taper and you have the willpower to do so that's great. C/t is hard and you will most likely suffer w/d. Don't know what your situation is but if you can take a few days to vegetate and get through this, in my opinion that would be easiest. I don't know if you have support at home or children so many of these things factor in to your decision on how best to stop. The most important factor is that you have decided it's time to quit!  We are here whatever you decide to do. Please ask any questions that you may have and we will do whatever we can to help you.  

It's a big step just by admitting you have a problem so recognize that you have the strength to do this!
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Exactly, You are not as bad as you think, just a rapid taper, and gone, you'll be alittle cranky, yuky, alittle cold like at the worst. You should be ok.

If, not we'll be here, and we will Up the Millagram of Support

Choo
Helpful - 0
Don't waste another minute searching....you have discovered what you want in your heart.  DO IT NOW>  YOU CAN DO THIS< sooner the better.  It only gets worse and that applies to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US>  

I didn't think that it would possibly happen to me....well it did.  And I was where you are today.  Just do it hun.  Just do it now.  You are in my prayers and keep posting and reading.  So much support here for you.

SUCCESS  is yours to have...RIGHT NOW
Helpful - 0
Thanks everyone for all of your replies!  I have been taking them on & off for over a year and never had a problem stopping when I ran out.  It's just been over the past few months that I have been taking them regularly and I ran out Friday.  By Sat (yesterday) I realized I had a problem when I couldn't sleep and was sweating Fri night and then had chills.  I couldn't stand it so I found some but not many so I decided maybe if I taper it would be easier.  I feel stupid and should have just toughed it out but I didn't.  I have a job that I can't take off work from and a daughter to take care of (is that just making excuses?).  My family doesn't know about this and I don't want them to so I am on my own with it.  I really want to stop because like I said, I am sick of worrying about getting more and how long they will last and of course not being able to find any when I "need" them.  
Helpful - 0
your on the right track>  Keep those thoughts and willpower.  you will make it.
good luck
Helpful - 0
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the support cause I'm sure I'm gonna need it!  It's weird how something can take such control of your life so quickly but getting over it takes so long.
Helpful - 0
My story is alot like yours it gets too hard to search for the pills to expensive to buy them and im just tired of hideing this part of my life it needs to quit. im on 2 days c/t but the withdraws just kill me.it's weird i think back before yhis started how did i make it without them cuz now i need them so bad.I started taking tylenol w/codeine than changed to vicadon cuz they are easier to get.Now i just need to change to take nothing .Well good luck to us. we can do it  
Helpful - 0
2 days, that's awesome!  I wish I could say the same.  Isn't it ridiculous the amt of money and time spent on the ****,lol.  I'm having a hard time not taking what I have left instead of tapering but I'm scared to death of the w/d.  You're very brave and I'm proud of you!
Helpful - 0
If you have the willpower to do it, tapering will help some.  You are not going to feel great when you do stop no matter what but I KNOW you can do it!!
This forum is a great place to come for help and support.
Please, please, please stop now while you are still at a fairly low dose!  The sooner the better because eventually it will get worse and worse and it will ruin your life.
Good luck!
Also, I am terrified of w/d's as well and I have experienced them many times just never long enough to get off the drugs.  Just think, what doesn't kill you (and it won't) will make you stronger and especially in this case.  You will be so happy to be free of worrying about when and how you are gonna get more.  The w/d's will be totally worth it!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.