Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

cocaine and pregnancy

Hello! I have a question a friend of mine just found out she was pregnant..she has done coke like 5 times in the past month, will it effect her baby if she didn't know she was pregnant? I didnt know what to tell her but usually they say that if something is done so early on in the pregnancy the baby is usually fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
She needs to be upfront about it with her doctor, and stop using immediately.  If the baby is born addicted, Family and Children Services will get involved and she may end up leaving the hospital without her baby, it going to a foster home, or staying in the hospital to overcome the withdrawals.
Helpful - 0
The baby will be fine. If she continues to use there are some pretty long term effects and coke/crack babies don't usually get to stay with their mommy. Tell her not to worry and enjoy the pregnancy. I had plenty of friends who were doing coke/crack into their 5 month and had to go to homes for addicted mothers. It worked out for them so if she can't seem to just quit then she needs to seek help from a facility that specializes in that. As far as telling the doc...people are probably going to rip me for saying this but I wouldn't. If she was only a few weeks along there is no need to have the doc label her as an addict, the **** you have to go through with that is insane. Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
Sorry, but I have to disagree.  The develomental period is in the first trimester. In all liklihood, baby will be fine but it's only fair to the baby and her Dr to inform them.  If she is not able to quit she definately needs to inform them!  Placental abruption/miscarriage is a risk if she continues to do cocaine! I have seen it all and it is not pretty! I used to work with a high risk population for substance abuse on the L&D floor!  The sad thing is now I work in a suburban hospital and see substance abuse as frequently as I did in the high risk area!  Either way, please tell your friend if she is not going to tell the Dr than she has to quit now, or get some professional help for the two of them.  How many weeks is she? I don't want to be preachy but I do work in this area and I have seen so much abuse.  We are not there to judge people and I never have! Sometimes one has to put their pride or fear aside and think about what could happen to the baby and mom if there is a problem. This is also a way to give mom peace of mind!  Again, this is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth!
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Just to be clearer about my earlier post. I just wanted you to understand that if your friend does not use cocaine AGAIN, not to worry. If she continues this destructive behavior it will have devastating affects on her and the baby. If she is not able to stop please help her find treatment and at that point she will need to inform her doc. If this was just a few times "experimentally" and won't happen again then there is no cause for alarm.
Helpful - 0
I have been told by my mom as she laughs and says she didnt know but she admittily did coke when she was preg.with me I'm ok no delays or retardation here but im full of addiction.I think your friend and her baby will be ok if she stops NOW and more importantly doesn't raise this baby surrounded by people with addiction this will be her example in life.    nichole
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.