Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Day 37 cold turkey from 350 mg/day morphine

Hey all. Lots of new "faces" here and lots of positive energy.

For those who don't know my story, I was taking ~ 350 mg/day morphine sulfate (for fun) up until about 6 weeks ago. Over 6 months, I went from 90 a day to 350 a day. When I stopped taking morphine, I went from 350 a day to zero over the course of about 4 days, so I guess it's not technically a cold turkey quit, but it felt like one (no real w/d symptoms until I was at zero). Acute withdrawal was intense and debilitating. I missed 2 days of work, but managed a full workday after 84 hours.

Recovery for me has been very slow. One day to the next may feel like my recovery is moving backwards, but every week there is clearly an improvement. From week 4 to week 6, the improvement in my condition phyiscally and mentally has been drastic. I am more excited about my recovery than ever!

For those who don't think you can do it without methadone or bupe or benzos or sleep aids or whatever - don't sell yourself short. You can do it without them! You really do have a choice - you can focus on getting off the opiates, either by gradual or immediate withdrawal; or you can trade addictions and hope that your new addiction won't cause you and your loved ones as much pain as the old addiction.

Who knows? Maybe your life will get better if you switch to suboxone. But suboxone is still an opiate, it's still addictive, and you will still have to withdraw from it.

Remember - opiate withdrawal alone will not kill you, but a life of active opiate addiction is not really living.

(not trying to offend but rather give my point of view)
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
182493 tn?1348052915
I remember your first night here at the forum....aw.. you have come so far.. and i am soooo proud..
Helpful - 0
Hey, thanks! How's your taper going? You are at 10 a day right?
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
taper is going slowly but surely...I am back down to 15mgs a day... I take a half 3times a day... saturday I will cut out the middle dose...SO ... two weeks i guess... i am scared to post a date for fear of  my luck.. last time broke two toes.. this time... who knows my arm??? so on the night before I will post it.. I am planning to take my last dose on a saturday afternoon so I can have til tuesday to feel better if I need it..
Helpful - 0
LOL! I know what you mean about not wanting to jinx it. Hey, 3rd time's a charm, right? Maybe you should only post that you are at zero after you get to zero. Just a thought.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
that the plan... the afternoon i take my last dose I will tell you all..  it won't be long now.. yeah third time is a charm..actually its the second.. I didn't break my taper while I had brochitis or the root canal.. I stayed within my daily limits.. actually having brochitis and that extended release cough medicine made it easy.. one teaspoon every 12 hours... I didn't even think about it.. for one I was too sick to care about drugs.. I took what I was given as told..
And i have said this before... Its been sooooo long since I used the pills to get high... I have only maintained my habit for about a year.. so I don't crave "high" I only crave "normal" when i feel bad..
Helpful - 0
Oh, you're right. This is the 2nd time ... my bad. I know you aren't taking them to get high, and that's a huge step I think. That's why some ppl switch to sub or methadone. I know you will do it this time.
Helpful - 0
hey there, my hubbys name is scott.  your story is aw inspiring!  i am a few days off mdone.  i wouldnt suggest somebody who wants to get off an opiate switch to mdone! or suboxone. i got on suboxone to ease withdrawl from mdone.  when i thought i was ready to get of suboxone, i did.  i was on it for about two months.  wow!  the withdrawls from suboxone are just as hard-for me.  i was rx meds for degenrative disc disease and two disc herniations.  as i have said before, the mental pain the pills have given me and my family far outweigh the pysical.  probably because i soon developed a real intense liking for the high.  getting through a day without seemed impossible,  still does. i am sick. and have bad anxiety.  i cant wait to be as far down the road to recovery as you,  i am proud of you! your story gives me hope. thank you!
Helpful - 0
You may have taken twice as much hydro while on TUSSIONEX than you thought. I remember when you got it you said each dose was 5mg of hydro. I too was given this by my Doc and with the link below found out that each teaspoon has 10 mg hydro in it. So if you have any left and you take it for your taper make sure you take the amount you want

Each teaspoonful (5 ml) of TUSSIONEX Pennkinetic Extended-Release Suspension
contains hydrocodone polistirex equivalent to 10 mg of hydrocodone bitartrate and chlorpheniramine
polistirex equivalent to 8 mg of chlorpheniramine maleate.TUSSIONEX Pennkinetic Extended-Release
Suspension provides up to 12-hour relief per dose. Hydrocodone is a centrally-acting narcotic antitussive.

http://www.tussionex.com/pharmacists/pdfs/pi.pdf
Helpful - 0
Wow, you are doing awesome and such an encouragement to myself. I feel so lucky to be doing so well after only 3 weeks CT. I SO agree with you in the fact that suboxone and other drugs are still opiates and addictive. Other than a medicine I have to be on daily to prevent migraines I don't want to take anything. I want to be clean and do all of this on my own. Way to go and thank you for your postings.
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
geez.. thanks.. when i looked it up it said 5mgs... I could be wrong though.. well it looks like I took a tab more than I thought I did.. oops.. thanks for the info.. no i don't have any left I through it out after I didn't need it..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.