Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

fear of withdrawals

Let me just say, I was absolutely terrified of going through withdrawals. I had seen "Walk the Line", I had been through some withdrawals when doses were too far apart and I knew they would be worse when it got to 24 hrs, 36 hrs, 48 hrs. I had heard horror stories about heroin withdrawal, and I think we all know that prescription-grade opiates shame heroin. Basically, I knew it was gonna completely knock me on my A$$.

BUT

Then I read some things that really helped me in my approach to quitting. First, opiate withdrawal by itself is not life-threatening or even dangerous. Second, I discovered that it gets better after only 3 days. 3 days! That didn't sound so bad. Third, I learned that total recovery is a process - it doesn't just happen. I'm not recovered because that implies an end. Fourth, and most important in my mind, is that if I take 1 pill I know I am chemically addicted again. Everything after that snowballs because, well, I've already made that jump.

Was withdrawal hard? Yes. Impossible? He11 no! The mind of an active addict will trick the addict into believing that we cannot possibly withdraw because it's too hard. Don't believe that BS because it's a lie.

This is a serious battle that we are waging and it's important that we know the enemy.
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i am an addict to lortab 7.5/500 for three years straight and am tiered of it consuming my life-what stops me from quiting withdrawls/anxiety/severe depression, it is so scary to run out i too have little ones so please help give advise quickly thank you
Helpful - 0
I love to read your post they are so full of knowledge and experience a great help to everyone.
Helpful - 0
1st time posting but this info is correct ( the 3 day thing ). last yesr i had a liver biopsy and the dr asked me if i was taking anything like lortab,vics,etc. i said yes and he told me i would have to stop taking these 3 days before biopsy cause it takes 72 hours for these to leave your system. i asked if it mattered how long i had been using them and he said no,,72 hours no matter how many per day or how long. gl to all
Helpful - 0
You are SO right. I also felt horrible for three days..then it got alot better.
I think that the body naturally withdraws itself from anything in 72hrs. Including nicotine, but I can't be positive on that, its just something I heard.
But the 3 day thing is right. The 3rd day is the worst...then it gets alot better after that. At least it did for me.  

Helpful - 0
I too have children to take care of but me being addicted to pills and spending money that could go towards them had to be stopped. Everyone could use the excuse that they can't be sick they have children and responsibilites. If you were to come down with the "real" flu or any other illness you would take the time off or find help with your children. It's all what you want to accomplish and what is important to you. I wanted to get rid of the pills and be the kind of mom and wife I should be. Buying and using pills is a very selfish thing. I was not putting my kids and family first.
Helpful - 0
I don't know if it's true for everything, but you are absolutely right that it takes 72 hours to get the nicotine out! Good post.
Helpful - 0
Amen to that! I loved your words!
Helpful - 0
You can certainly do it!

You will only need help with your children for a few days. I too have small children and I "take over" on evenings and weekends, other than those 1st 3 days anyway. That's all you need is 3 days help. Plan your "flu" and quit taking the pills about 18 hours prior to "flu onset". Then you stay in bed miserable for a few days and you will now be past the acute withdrawal stage and you can care for your children again. Withdrawal will not be over, but the debilitating acute physical
part will be.

Just my thoughts.
Helpful - 0
My husband and I were also both using together. We tapered in about 2 weeks. I didn't set a schedule, just waited as long as I could and then went from 1 to 1/2. I went from taking 2 10/325 hydros at a time, so this was a big jump. I have a 3 year old son and work 10 hours a day. My husband does physical labor for longer hours. Neither one of us missed any work or had anyone watch our son except his normal daycare. I had been using for over 2 years. I know that this is not the norm, and I did feel like ****. I think being busy and not sitting around thinking about how bad I felt made it easier. I could think I was feeling better and then read that I shouldn't be yet and start feeling bad. I have had some really bad days. I'm 2 weeks today and very proud. We already have a few hundred more dollars. Amazing! The stories here are wonderful. Use this site and know that you can do it. I would suggest a taper, because we've tried C/T and just weren't strong enough. I just don't like to feel that bad and knew I could make it better. You can do it!! For your kids!! I know you can if I did. I 've been trying the whole time I've been using.
Helpful - 0
I don't know about that. My knowledge and experience with opiates pales, I think, to that of many on this forum. But I certainly don't mind sharing my opinion!

(really, I know a lot more about being an alcoholic)
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for posting that!!!!  I am going c/t starting tomorrow and I am really scared but it helps so so much to read stuff like that.  I will probably re-read this post again and again over the next few days.
Helpful - 0
best of luck to you...I feel your anxiety myself.
Helpful - 0
Thank you!!!
Helpful - 0
i wish you could come stay with me through my w/d's. I guess i have to start all over again. My only issue is my two small kids. So I can't give my body that time to recoup. My family does not know about this and they cant. And my husband has the same adiction i do. I though using percs to help ease the w/d's of the oc's was the way to go. I thought i was on day 5 but I guess not. finding this out really put a damper on things today. I don't mean to keep sounding do negative but I'm so disapointed. I thought i had this all planned out and we were really going to do it this time ( my husband and I ) but now I ust dont know what to do. I've talked to my dr. but they really wanted nothing to do with it because I was not rx'd the oc's.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.