Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Should I still be feeling the effects of withdrawal 29 days later?

Hello everyone,

I thought I was doing much better. It has been 29 days since I stopped taking valium. I feel really bad still. I had a few days of feeling good now I feel like my skin is crawling and I keep waking every night with pins and needles in my hands. (not sleeping on them either. I sleep on my back with hands in front of me)
Just wondering if I should still be feeling this bad?
Thanks
xxx
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
does anyone out there know how long it takes for methadone to leave someones system completly?  i am just curious. i am only a few days into this withdrawl from quiting mdone cold turkey.if anyone can answer, i appreciate your time. also-hang in there all!
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
It generally takes WAY longer for brain function to return to normal for folks that were in active addiction to benzos.  They really are nasty little things.

And with pretty much any addiction, the person in Recovery will get hit with Post Acute Withrdawal Syndrome (PAWS) just as they're starting to think they've finally made it.  Generally speaking, PAWS feels not only like hitting a brick wall, but like suddenly going back to square one.  Initially it seems to hit every 30-45 days and many addicts don't get through it because when you're suffering from PAWS, it can feel like there's just no getting through it.

It's not true.  You can get through PAWS and it seems to always be better on the other side.

I like to think of it as the Addiction trying to sink its claws into me to maintain its position every time I'm about to move into a new phase of recovery.  It becomes less frequent the longer you stay in Recovery, but it still rears its ugly little head even years down the road.  Addiction is a tenacious little ******* that doesn't like to give up any ground without a fight.  No matter how far you push it back, it seems to alway be ready to fight to keep that ground and willing to use any method to gain even an inch.

I'm 9 days away from 22 months and I'm still moving into new phases of Recovery/dealing with PAWS ever 4-6 months.  The PAWS parts sucks, but the new phases part is really good.  It's like every time I think "OK, now I'm really back - now I really see the world and my addiction for what it is/was," I shortly get jolted into a new reality, where it seems like "Wow!  I wasn't really back at all, but NOW I'm really back."  Then, 4-6 months later . . . .

Some folks compare it to peeling an onion.  At first, each newly-exposed layer of the onion seems like the place you were trying to get to.  However, just as soon as you get comfortable with that layer, you finds that it's peeling away to expose a new layer that appears to be the place you were trying to get to.  However, just as soon as you get comfortable with that layer . . . . .

I know that I'm still peeling layers.  I've pretty much given up on the idea of reaching the core of the onion.  In fact, it seems like it might be better to just go on peeling layers in perpetuity.

A good on-line resource for PAWS can be found at: http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm
Helpful - 0
Phew thanks for that. I was beginning to think I was going mental or something but it has to be the valium w'd's still. I thank the Lord for this site and you LS.  You have made me feel that I can get through this. I hope you are doing well. I missed you for a few days here. I was beginning to worry about you. Much love to you. xxx

Fladdict, if the pins and needles keep happening, I will definately see my Dr. I just feel like a bit of a hydocondriac (spelling?) seeing him all the time. But it is beginning to concern me. Thanks so much for your response also.

take care
xxx
Helpful - 0
177003 tn?1266270355
Hi,

Benzo's take longer to get completely out of your system than opiates. At 21 days I was still in the hospital, so I would say you're going good. It would probably be a good idea to let your dr. know though.

I am amazed at what you have gone through and I can say that because I have been there, as you know. I'm so proud of you. Things will get better and you have proven you can walk through hell and come out the other side. You're a very tough lady.......Keep up the good work.....Hugs....LS
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
I have seen here that it takes some a month or two to feel human.. and with benzo withdrawl I would assume that to be true.. the skin crawling feeling is pretty normal the pins and needles feeling however.. i would maybe call a doc.. sounds like nerves..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.