Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
190466 tn?1215884854

STARTING BACK TO N/A TONIGHT...

im taking the great advice i got yesterday and going to get a new 24 hr chip tonight (Trade old for new)anyways i hope all are doing well and i made it through another day clean.Hope and prayers to all who are trying to overcome. Clay TX
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
well done.  
Helpful - 0
I think I'm with you  on that! Now I know I need reinforcement too! There is a meeting in my neighborhood tomorrow night!  Good job Clay!
Helpful - 0
I think I'm with you  on that! Now I know I need reinforcement too! There is a meeting in my neighborhood tomorrow night!  Good job Clay!
Helpful - 0
190466 tn?1215884854
hang in there sweetie youll do fine,and im proud of YOU Clay TX
Helpful - 0
I am extremely PROUD of both of you!!!  Marce do you think you will try an NA meeting in your area??
Construction and marce you are an inspiration and teach us valuable lessons of our possible pitfals on the road to being in recovery.  Bless you BOTH>  I am sending energy your way for continued success!!   You two are not failures...great friends, not failures.  Thanks for sharing.
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
I think hitting meetings is a really good idea.  As you may know, I go to 5-6 meetings a week.  Almost all of mine are AA meetings these days, but they are populated with lots of addicts like me - at least 25% of the folks at my meetings ID themselves as being "an alcoholics and addict" or just "an addict."  Personally, I say "drug addict," because that's what I used to say to myself in the mirror back when there was no hope in my life.

It really helps me to be around people who are significantly farther the road I'm trying to travel than I am - people who have want I want and who have been where I am (and was).

Find someone who seems to have a fair amount of clean time and ask them to be your temporary sponsor.  If you can't decide who to ask, just ask the leader to point you towards someone who would be good.  

Like most people, I was TERRIFIED of asking someone to be my sponsor - I felt sure that anyone worth having would certainly not be interested in sponsoring a loser like me.  That may be a common fear, but it's not well founded.  Most folks with some clean time under their belt are not only happy to be a sponsor, they consider it to be essential to their Recovery.  In NA they say "we can only keep what we have by giving it away."

There is true magic in meetings, but it's difficult to put your finger on exactly where it is or where it comes from.  Part of it comes from being at a lot of meetings and being willing to let down your defenses.  Both AA & NA advise newcomers to go to 90 meetings in 90 days.  I remember when I thought that was an outrageous suggestion and I refused such an unwarranted imposition on my life.  However, after I went back out for 4.5 months and almost died as a result, I was willing to follow directions - I averaged 8 to 10 meetings a day for the first 7 months.  If that seems like too big a time commitment, just ask yourself how much time you wasted each week between finding and using drugs - If you're like me, even 10 meetings a week didn't put a dent in the time I used to waste in such pursuits.

Good luck - I'm off to bed.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.