Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

the reality that is PAWS

I want to start by saying that, at day 39, I DO NOT feel like my old, sober self of the past. I feel worse. I don't have my energy back and it's not even close. I sometimes get depressed.

And I know it's PAWS - post-acute withdrawal syndrome. I know I'm dealing with PAWS because, for the past few days, I've also been visited by Mr. Insomnia and Mrs. Restless Legs. Much milder symptoms than I had that first week, but very real; real enough to get me thinking again about those "beautiful" mind-numbing substances of the past.

I think there needs to be more education about the reality that is PAWS. PAWS is not just for people withdrawing from suboxone or methadone. I think PAWS, because we may not know enough about it, can be at least partially responsible for relapse.

I think we all need to understand that, if we are not properly equipped for battle, victory will come much less easily. Knowing why I feel the way I do helps me to stay in recovery.
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
  Hi Scott. I quit from Suboxone and am starting to wonder if Im not experiencing some of the same things. No restless legs really, but every day up until today has been a struggle as far as energy goes. I get hot flashes every once in awhile too. Not the really bad ones from days 1-5, but more like the ones you get that tell you it's time for another pill. I've just sort of accepted it, and hope that they will eventually fade as well. What did you quit from? Perhaps this is just the way it goes? I've never done this before so I have nothing to compare it to. Hope you feel better. -Ethan
Helpful - 0
Just so you know, PAWS will be a part of your life for upwards of 7-8 months into recovery. I do know of a few people that suffered from symptoms for over a year. While that is rare, it does happen. But they eventually will go away. They say reading, doing puzzles, and writing help to eliminate symptoms faster as the symptoms are said to come from that side of the brain.

Also, PAWS occur in cessation of all drugs, including alcohol, crack, meth, opiates, etc.......
Helpful - 0
day 9 ct methadone.u know i thought after 4 days id be feeling better then 8 days crappy still.not many people know about that.i looked it up a few days ago myself.last night i prayed and prayed and actually woke up feeling better.not a great deal but better then i have since stopping.its in our heads when that point was made clear it became obvious.now im trying to get my brain back and forget the body.we will never be the same only better stronger
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
All of below from
http://www.cyberrecovery.net/forums/archive/index.php?t-517.html
See also: http://www.tlctx.com/ar_pages/paw_part1.htm, which is from one of Gorski's books
============================================

Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome

Note: This material was developed from Relapse Prevention seminars hosted by Terence Gorski. I recommend his excellent Staying Sober and its accompanying workbook for anyone interested in following the subject further. Most of these concepts are Dr. Gorski's, adapted by me for a series of relapse prevention lectures.

Surprisingly, many of the problems associated with sobriety do not stem directly from drugs and alcohol. Instead, they are associated with physical and psychosocial changes that occur after the chemicals have left our bodies. These alterations in our nervous systems, physical condition, and psychosocial adjustments are known as post acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS).

Post acute withdrawal results from: (1) the combination of damage to our bodies and nervous systems as a result of using addictive chemicals, and (2) from the psychosocial stresses of coping with lives without alcohol and drugs. PAWS is the cause of most relapse.

Recovery causes a great deal of stress. Many addicts and alcoholics never learn to manage stress without alcohol or drug use, or do so only after many attempts at sobriety.

All addicts and alcoholics suffer from damage to our bodies and nervous systems resulting from drug/alcohol use, accidents and malnutrition. We may also suffer from various chronic diseases, such as diabetes and hepatitis. We usually bring to early recovery a broad array of other problems. As one alcoholic put it,
Helpful - 0
I just finished reading that entire post and I found it to be very helpful and informative.  It answered a lot of the questions I had in regards to long term recovery and gave me clearer picture of the real focus of my recovery.  Very helpful.
Helpful - 0
Yes, as sosad said, "Thank You" - very informative and necessary in my opinion!
Helpful - 0
Thanks for that!  It seems we have to reprogram our brains.....I think this is almost as difficult as w/d!  The newness of recovery has worn off for me....I was thinking...now what?  Scot is right....I don't feel llike my old self because now I have a new point of refererence in my way of thinking! It is not the way I used to think at all!  I think I was challenging myself yesterday and I just wanted to see what the attraction was to the drugs....why was getting high so great?  It was the dumbest thing I could have done! You are such a source of inspiration to me!  I won't go back....I can't!  It is selfish of me to think I can pick up whenever I want and can stop as easily! Not......Definately one  pill is too many and 1000 not enough!  Gotta beat that into my thick skull!
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.