Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
I can't keep track anymore!  Anywho...opiate free since the 21st of this month.  Weaned off of Lortab (10-15/day) over a two week period and then threw them out.  I am getting some energy back and have had great willpower to stay away from the drugs.  The only thing is that I have been REALLY irritable.  I'm hoping that just isn't how I am and the drugs were masking that!!  I thought I would give it a couple weeks and see how it is. Hope everyone is keeping on track today!  
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I think that irritablilty is probably part of the detox package! I am usually quite pleasant but got rather bitchy when I went through this.  You are doing great and it's good to hear that you are getting your energy!  I'd much rather be a bitchy irritable person clean, than being sweet and patient but high all the time! Keep up your recovery....It's worth the effort!
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Good job :) !! Keep up the great work!

I think irritability is part of the detox thing too. We had been getting high and feelin good (at least in the beginning) for so long b/c of the flood of dopamine that the pills gave us. Dopamine is the "feel good" chemical our brains make naturally that provides us with pleasurable happy and sense of well being feelings. When we stop taking the pills our brains take a long time, months, to start producing dopamine on it's own, since the dopamine was being provided by the drugs and our brains have not had to produce it in so long. So of course, we have had much more dopamine than is normal and were at a higher level of feeling good than the average level. So now that we are depleted of, not only the extra dopamine, but our natural dopamine provided by our brain (it isn't making any since it has not had to), so our level is not even average...it is below average.  It's a huge difference in our feel good feelings being produced and we will experience depression, anxiety and irritability until our brains figure out that it needs to start producing dopamine on it's own again and this takes time...months.

So keep up the good work and just know that you will be feeling good again and soon. Hang in there, this too shall pass!

:) :) :)
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.