Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
192332 tn?1189755828

going on 3 weeks c/t still depressed

Hello everyone!I have been here for about 3 or 4 weeks.I am about 18 days c/t off alot of hydro and oxy or any opiate i could find.I have been masking depression with the drugs and alcohol basically most of my life i think.and now im 42 and i need to address the depression problem another way w/o pain meds and alcohol.I lost my son 14 months ago and the depression is worse than ever.My question is does anyone out there take any antidepressants? I have heard good and bad things.i have heard some make you kind of speedy and i dont want to go with that kind of feeling because i am a nervous person as it is.I plan on talking to my doc but i just want to know some kinds of antidepressants that may be good and the pro and cons if any of you have experienced any of them.Thank you.Bruce PS good luck to all going through W/D's it is hard but it does get better.You can do it!
9 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi...I am on effexor 75mg daily. It definately has helped me. It is not like hydro...that euphoria...I am just more on an even keel....I feel ...I guess a good word would be "content".  I know some are on Cymbalta and there are several SSRI's.  It takes at least a week or two for them to work as you have to build up a level of medication in your blood stream. They are definatley not a cure all but I really do feel better.  Good Luck!  I know that the depression is hardest right after w/d symptoms!
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
I started on antidepressants aftter my first son was born he was in the special care nurserury for 6 months fighting for his life.  I was so depressed and felt like I was in a bad dream.  doc put me on antidepressants and said I should be feeling better in a few weeks. I felt the difference in a week. and was much more able to cope with the loss of having a normal child.  my boy lived because hes a fighter.  he is serverly handicapped and is 9 years old now.  I'm still on the antidepressant a different one now but sometimes you have to try a few.  I am a great mother and even had another boy perfectly healthy.  Antidepressants saved my life although I still like to get high I don't get so low.  try it its worth a try.  having a tramatic event like you did you could have post tramtic stress sydrome it changes brain chemstry along with drug abuse.  good luck I'm on celexa.
Helpful - 0
also just to let you know effexor made me speedy no good , paxil made me like a zombie although it works for my sister.  Zoloft wasn't bad could even have a beer on occassion went to shrink he changed me to celexa because he fiquired the zoloft was speedy for me See the point is try a few you should not feel weird just normal level they even help me not get mad a unimportant stuff.  I used to freak about every little thing.  antidepressnats make me much better hope they work for you.  after the loss of your son I'm so sorry can't imagine . Try it it may work for you and having another child helped me heal plus my big boy needed a brother. I wish you peace.
Helpful - 0
I am on prozac.  Have been of and on for 8 years (off and on is bad!)  and it makes all the difference in the world to me.  Dyblue is right, the correct anitdepressant should just make you feel normal...not speedy, no weight gain....just normal.  Please try it.  I have said many times that prozac has given me my life back.  I am so so sorry about the loss of your son.  I am a mother too and I just cannot imagine that depth. I wish you love and peace.
J
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
Go to the library and get the book End Your Addiction Now, by Charles Gant.  It takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R for an addict's brain chemistry to straighten out (if that quickly) unless the problem is addressed directly through amino acid supps, which will get your neurotransmitters back where they should be.

Gant was a consultant to my rehab and his formulas saved my life.
Helpful - 0
Can you give further recommendations as far as suplements are concerned?
Helpful - 0
been perscribed hydrocodone, oxycodone, vicoprofin, somas, valium and now cut off. On methodone 3- 5mgs per day but i am afraid of this medicine but at least  i do not feel as sick as i could .Also, waiting for urine test to come back due to switching doctors so methodone increased to 1-10mg in am , 1 5 mg afternoon, 1-10mg pm while i wait. If I get weaned of of the methodone will i wind up with subutox or suboxin eanyway.  I have been told subutox for detox and suboxon for afterwards. Also, don't take suboxone if taking methodone. I just want to be able to function without worrying about taking pills. how long should i wait to take suboxone after taking methodone. If anyone know ,please advise. Thank you.
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
It really just depends on what you need - that's what I like about the book End Your Addiction Now, in the few minutes it takes to complete 4 or 5 15 question test, it tells you exactly what you're deficient in and what you need to address that deficiency.

Everything you need can be purchased at GNC or the like.  What I took at rehab, and for 3 or 4 months thereafter, is available at www.powerrecovery.com.  After that I switched to GNC and now I'm just taking L-Tyrosine along with a multi-V.  However, I've decided to go back to the packs from powerrecovery, because I believe I felt better and was in better focus when I took the Dopamine Pak in the am and the Serotonin Pak in the PM

You might also check out the book The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross (see www.moodcure.com)

Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
It really just depends on what you need - that's what I like about the book End Your Addiction Now, in the few minutes it takes to complete 4 or 5 15 question test, it tells you exactly what you're deficient in and what you need to address that deficiency.

Everything you need can be purchased at GNC or the like.  What I took at rehab, and for 3 or 4 months thereafter, is available at www.powerrecovery.com.  After that I switched to GNC and now I'm just taking L-Tyrosine along with a multi-V.  However, I've decided to go back to the packs from powerrecovery, because I believe I felt better and was in better focus when I took the Dopamine Pak in the am and the Serotonin Pak in the PM

You might also check out the book The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross (see www.moodcure.com)

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.