Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

my story

I made a generic intro last night here and didnt have time to tell my whole story at the time, so will try to now. Im 36 years old and a mom to 2 young children. Ive been hooked on pain pills for about 4 years now. It started out slow where Id only take 1 or 2 darvocets a day and it would get me high. Then they didnt work as well and i had to take 2 at a time, then 2 at a time several times  a day...  then worked up to tylenol 3's, then vicodin, then percocets... Now I can chew 2 or 3 vicodin up at a time and barely get a buzz but if i take anymore than that, they make me puke. ANyhow, Im scared that my liver is gonna quit on me because these pills have so much acetominophen in them. I know the daily cap is 4000 mg of aceto, and most days Im way over that, every day. Im scared to death i will die and leave my poor little kids without a mother. I dont know how to quit though. I want to quit, but my problem is i actually DO have severe pain all the time. I had surgeries on my back for herniated discs and the surgery did not work and the pain is always there. So, i do need meds for the pain, but honestly i take them mainly for the buzz, and on the rare occasional days that I dont have severe pain and could have gotten by without them.   HOw can I stop using them for a high, when i need them for true pain relief at the same time?      
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You will be run off... ask bowhunter and the new and pathetic sick to death.  RUN!!!!!!  I am on day 3 c/t and this forum simply adds drama to your life.  Get away from it!
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the board. I am in the same situation as you are. I have all kinds of problems in my back. I was taking 12-15 pills a day. I had my liver checked for a regular blood test and it is fine. I think if I kept it up I would be in trouble in the future. It is hard to take for pain and not abuse. Are you in extreme pain everyday? I don't know how to advise you on what to do about pain. If I am in agony, I am just going to deal with it then. It is taking the amount of pills that is my problem. Please come to this board and read, ask for help and you will find so much support.
Always,
Mariyah
Helpful - 0
Eh Im pretty used to drama from other boards ive been on over the years and probably am thick skinned enough to handle it lol. Im gonna stick around because i really could use some support and talk to people who are going through the same thing..
Helpful - 0
hi welcome. i have a suggestion, and it doesnt have any side effects. how about methadone? its excellent for pain management and you'll be able to function everyday without being sick. i know alot of people wont agree with me and you probably have already thought about this. its cheaper than if you were buying any pills off the street. methadone doesnt hurt your liver at all. its very safe. i would say take it for a therapeudic detox but you still need pain meds. look,if you dont want your life to stop and you want control back, thats the best thing i ever did. thanks tammy
Helpful - 0
Yes, you need to try to get off of them.  I'm also 36 and I have 3 children.  I quit c/t 10 days ago and I'm startin' to feel okay again.  My children along with e1 here are the reason why I've went this long.  I was up to about 10 to 12 oxy 30mg a day and around 6 - 10 perc 10 mg a day... I honestly don't know how I lived takin' that much.  But I just didn't even care.  Now I'm goin' to the beach and fishin with my hubby and children.  This is the most I've done with them in 3 years.  The pills makes you think you can't function without them but after a while you stop doin' everything you thought you couldn't do without them.  I was a hermit crab and told my kids to leave me alone most of the time because they were bringin' my high down.  Isn't that sick?  OMG I feel way better now and I have like a natural high now.  My prayers are with you and if you need me I'm here everyday most of the time.  God bless  Lil.
Helpful - 0
hi, i read your earlier post. i am new, too.  wish i had some words of wisdom, but all i can say is i know there are solutions for those of you out there with honest-to-god real pain, but i'm just an abuser (and admittedly a little ashamed of that when i read about those, like you,  who really need pain relief but discover they are addicts and therefore have this horrible conflict. it can't be easy, and i wish i could help.  i have heard however, that after awhile, the people with chronic pain who are also addicts no longer have the ability to assess whether or not they are experiencing real pain after some time of abuse. it's supposed to be a very real nuerological thing that occurs--some people become completely  unable to  "interpret" their pain. i don't know anything else about it, but someone else on this site probably does. Good luck to you, and I hope you find some good support here (and elsewhere). there may be help at a local hospital that runs a "Pain clinic"--often run by doctors/anetheseologists who understand what you are going through and will go the extra mile to work out some sort of pain relief option for youa s long as you don't try to work them for opiates. check it out. best wishes, rose.
Helpful - 0
I am new and introduced myself lasy week. I have been reading this board everyday and to be honest, I am surprised at you by telling someone "Don't Come Here you will be run off"!  I know you got your feelings hurt by a couple of people on this forum but please don't discourage new people from coming here just because you had a bad experience.  There are a lot of good people here that wants to help others like they have helped you and you may run someone that really needs support off because of your negative comments.  Please don't get upset with me, I just thought you needed to hear that.  I know you are going thru a rough time right now, but YOU CAN DO IT and I'm sure you need the support of some that are here but so does the new people.
Helpful - 0
Hi and welcome to the Forum....we have similar circumstances. I am 45 with 4 children and I too have herniated discs, had the back surgery and reherniated and still have pain.  I got addicted to the hydros and tried to detox 3x....this last time was the longest so far I am on week 8 (in spite of a slip 2 percs on Thurs last week...kicking myself for that!)  I still have pain but have realized that I cannot take pain meds responsibly! I too took them for what I thought was the  pain but have now realized it was for the high.....I felt like supermom and that I could do it all!  I have tried other pain rememdies. I take 800 mg Ibuprofen daily/ do yoga/hot tub/pt exercises! I don't know if these are options for you...I just know that the hydros were destroying my life, my marriage, my childrens lives and our financial stability. Taking all that into consideration I have realized that I will have to somehow deal with the pain without using opiates. I hope you are able to find other options as well but if you need pain meds, maybe someone can hold them for you and dispense them as prescribed.  You are the only one that can make this decision so I hope you can figure out what you need to do to live your  life without being held hostage by the drugs. My prayers are with you. Please keep posting and many people here will be happy to help you in whatever way then can!
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
Yes, I have the maturity and strengh to say you are right.  Sometimes, though, the cruel words stick more than the kind.  
Helpful - 0
Hey girl, when I was on I think day2 or three c/t I got into it with a member, we went back and forth and it just got uglier and uglier! So counterproductive.  I took a step back and realized that I was just so angry and miserable that I needed to lash out....I felt my bloodpressure rising, my face got really hot and i could feel the fury!  I made peace with that person and felt so much better after that (still shitty cause I was in w/d....but better in my head!) You are strong so just step back and remember why you are here...ignore the bad stuff and focus on your recovery!...You both need to do that because we all want the same thing Ok?  You can do it!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.