Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Legit pain med use--need input about what I am going through.....

I am new to the forum but have been reading for weeks so I feel like I know most of you on the forum.  I have posted bits and pieces of my situation but not all. If anyone has ANY input please share with me!

I have had a horrible pain problem that I had surgery for a few months ago.  The pain is finally starting to get a lot better and I have been weaning off Percocet for the past six weeks or so.  I also weaned off of Ultram and morphine (I was on a relatively low dose of morphine 20 to 30 mg a day) with no problem but I was still taking the percocet.  Now I am down to 1 to 2 tablets of 5 mg Percocet a day.  I waited until just now to take my first half of the Percocet for the day.  I feel so nervous and slept very little last night.  I have been taking Hyland's leg cramp medicine.  I also take Xanax 1mg that was prescribed for muscle spasms.  I really wish I wouldn't have been prescribed that now that I know more about it.  But it is too late now.  So I have been taking that as well.  I also have been taking dl-phenylalinine, two tablets three times a day for the past week.  I think it is helping some.  But I feel so nervous, I have no ambition, everything I do takes all of the effort I can muster up inside of me.  I have not had any addiction problems in the past.  I don't drink alcohol and I didn't even experiment with drugs or anything in high school, I have had no desire to.  I saw what alcoholism could do by watching my family members.  I would not have taken the pain meds for my pain problem but my pain was THROUGH THE ROOF and I literally would not have been able to function whatsoever had it not been for pain meds.  I have young children and many obligations I have no time to take off for a week.  This is so hard!!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It sounds like you have a plan and I think that is wonderful. I am in legitimate pain also, I did take the pills when I was not in pain. I think just being on here shows me that you want to get this under control and you will. I might have back surgery in a few weeks and am scared to death. I am not just afraid of the surgery, but my high tolerance to pain meds and the pain I will have to take after surgery. I am going to give the bottle to my hubby and only take when needed. Is there someone who can hold your pills for you and give when needed?  I know others on the board will be able to help you too and just stick to the board and ask questions whenever you need to. I wish you the best and will be here for you. Also, Beach is having a meeting next week and I think maybe it would be helpful to join and just take in the information and support. I plan on being there next Sunday. I will take all the support I can get.
Sending peace your way.

Always,
Mariyah
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the post.  This is all new to me.  The pain meds were/are a necessary evil, I suppose.  If I could have had my problem fixed sooner I probably wouldn't have to go through this.  But that is all in the past.

It is just so hard to do the things I need to do....just cleaning the house, spending time with my kids, talking on the phone with friends.......all of those take extra effort.  I wish I could have just a few days alone so I wouldn't feel like my family would have to suffer as well.

Thanks for the support.
Helpful - 0
I know how you feel...I got on Xanax not knowing how addictive it was.  I was just trying to get some relief from anxiety.  Getting off the pain pills will be tough, no doubt, but it sounds like you are up to the challenge.  You will probably not feel like yourself for a little while but once it is over you will be glad you got off the meds and aren't dependent on them anymore.  I have little kids, too so I know it's tough.  You can do it, just know you're strong and can get through this!
Helpful - 0
I know the pain killers are a necessary evil. Do you have anyone who can take the children for a few days when you go c/t? It would be such a help to you and it will be easier with no responsiblitys.

I have to see my neurosurgeon on Thursday and I don't know what to expect. Could you tell me a little about your diagnosis and surgery? I have bulging discs, a tear and degenerative disc disease. I just don't know what to expect. I can't sit for long periods of time and have been out of work for 8 weeks. I am wondering if the doctor will see I am just a big baby and tell me to go back to work. I just want the pain to go away so that I can resume my life.
Thanks so much,
Mariyah
Helpful - 0
HEY JUST READ YOUR POST AND WANNA LET YA KNOW IM HERE FOR YA I CANNOT SAY I KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE GOING THRUOGH COMPLETLY B/C YOU GOT ADDICTED BY ACCIDENT JUST TRYING TO MANAGE PAIN. I ON THE OTHER HAND AM THE MOST ADDICTIVE PERSON YOULL EVER MEET IF I FIND SOMETHING I LIKE OR MAKES ME FEEL GOOD I DO IT AND I DO IT AND I DO IT SO I FEEL BAD FOR YOU CUZ U HAD PAIN .  MAN THESE PILLS ARE AWEFUL AND MY DOC HAS HAD ME ON EM FOR 3 YEARS THEN JUST NOW TELLS ME WELL YOU CANT BE ON THESE THE REST OF YOUR LIFE THEY ARE TO ADDICTIVE THANX FOR TELLING ME 3 YEARS AGO

LUV YA
CHROS
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.