Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I am ready to quit

I have been on painkillers for 6 years and they are taking my life away...I do have back pain and get them from the doctor...But, They keep raising my dose and stronger meds...

I am not sure if they are even helping anymore...But, I know I am addicted and I want to be sober...I have been lurking around this forum and noticed that there are people here that have done it...

I am a little worried about w/d and all...But, I think it will be better in the long run...I know most people say taper...But, I am a C/T type of person...I have done it before on the same type of painkiller...

I just need to do it and I am going to start at today...And, I feel coming open and sharing this with all of you will give me the inspiration to do it...

Wish me luck...I am on my way...
15 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Day 5 is here - c/t.  I went to an exercise class last night.  It helped a lot.  Still couldn't sleep though.  My obsession to pop one is subsiding a little bit not much.  Flu symptoms are still here - aches, cough, congestion..  The 'clarity' I mentioned yesterday is still with me and I really like it.  Kicking this thing is no picnic. I am trying my best to treat myself gently.  Making myself eat, resting, isolating myself as much as I can while at work so that I won't 'go off' on someome.  But, today, I will not medicate myself and that's it.  Who  knows what tomorrow will bring.  Glad to have this forum to write.  Best to all.
Helpful - 0
Well here it is - the beginning of Day 4.  Couldn't sleep again last night.  The "Flu" symptoms are settling in nicely.  But there is a wonderful thing happening.  Somehow, someway - I am beginning to sense there is an ever so slightest bit of clarity around me- its like adjusting the picture on one of those old TV sets with rabbit ears - maybe the picture is getting a little clearer...its like I am kind of getting in touch with things around me again.....I am trusting that the marvel of this new experience will carry me through today.  At the same time,  I think and obsessing about taking a pill just about every two or three seconds - which I am ignoring - its like a whining little child making noise in my head.  Anyway excuse the rambling.  I am glad to be here to see what happens next...Best to everyone
Helpful - 0
I slipped and had one at 8pm tonight...I felt my stomach it sick, and I popped one...I guess I am going to have to tapper...Or try to go C/T tomorrow...I just didn't feel like I could get violently ill right now...

I figured I would try to go C/T turkey tomorrow or taper to 1...From what I was taking that is a fairly high steep to take...So, I will try again tomorrow...I skipped on my Anti Depressants a couple day and put me a little of whack...I am feeling quite normal now...

I really am going to quit...I was hoping I could do this tonight and go to sleep early since I didn't sleep well last night...

Thank Care Everyone...And I will check in tomorrow...Hopefully I have a better day...
Helpful - 0
This is it...I am ready...I will share my story I am sure as the w/d's set in...Stay tunned...

Helpful - 0
Hi and Welcome....making the decision to stop is a huge step! We are all pulling for you and hope you wll keep posting and let us know how you are doing and lean on us when you need help!  Lots of very kind and compassionate people here!  Many of us have been there so we can all relate to the struggles and triumphs!  
Peace,
Marcie
Helpful - 0
I have been taking hydrocodone (initially) for pain for five years.  God, I loved it so. It gave me courage, peace and, generally immunity from most dreaded feelings, emotions and thoughts.  I used various excuses, lied to doctors, used the internet, spent lots of money - all to keep those little blue honeys stashed away and available. Generally, I took 2 or 3 a day.  Sunday morning,  I got up and thought enough is enough.  That icky morning after was too much.   I am in the middle of day three - c/t.  I can't sleep, eating is a chore I am a total ass - but somehow I think I feel better.  I don't know how long this little stint of abstinence will last - I am just taking it an hour at a time.
Helpful - 0
Wow, that's wonderful.  You should be sooo proud of yourself.  Good luck and I'm here usually every day so if ya need me I'll be here.  Take care and thinkin of you today, Lil.
Helpful - 0
Good luck.  I am on Day 6.  Day 3,4,and5 were rough, but today is better.  Good advice is here as well as good inspiration.
Helpful - 0
Kudos on taking the first step. I got hooked on Percoset (7.5/435) following a total knee replacement last december. I was concerned about becoming dependent (up to 12/day), but my doctor recommended that "as long as I had the pain, keep taking the medication". Well, as the pain in my knee decreased, it was replaced by the pain of withdrawal that would start first thing in the morning (after I no longer woke up in the night with pain, and did not dose while sleeping). I didn't recognize why I had this miserable flu-like feeling until my suspicions of addictiion led me to a web search where I found this forum.

The advice you all have provided has been incredible, I thank all of you who contribute comments and questions.

I decided to wean myself off gradually, and it has been working. When I started  2 months ago, I was dosing with 6 tabs/day. I reduced 1 tab/week until I was down to 1/2 tab 2X per day, and finally, last Friday I went c/t. The withdrawal was fairly uncomfortable over the weekend, but symptoms are subsiding, and I am finally starting to feel a little better. I was surprised that even at that low dose that I would still experience withdrawal, but it was unmistakable, albeit much less severe that those I experienced when I attempted c/t from 12/day. The gradual method worked best for me-I tried c/t initially, but the symptoms were "VERY uncomfortable" (a medical euphamism that equates to hell on earth).

Hang in there!
Helpful - 0
I totally agree with you all... and here for ya if ya need me :)  I'll be thinking of you all tonight... god bless and take care Lil.
Helpful - 0
I am little scared...But, I've done some testing on my body in the past few months...I would quit c/t for 3-4 days just to lower my tolerance because I was felt like I was getting the flu every morning and then I would pop a pill lye in bed and be able to get up in a hour or two...

I was like this is my life...This is horrible...I have been preparing for this and wished I did it sooner than later...But, I am doing it NOW and that is what counts...

Day 1 my friends....Here I come...I thank all of you for your support...I know I am in for a war worth fighting for...I have everything prepared...The only thing I could want now is to be able to go to sleep...But, I am so excited...Yes, I said it excited to start my recovery...

I want to be sober...I want to feel reality and not be in a haze...I want to think  clear again...I want to care again...I want to be able not to worry about these little devil pills they call medication...

If they were really medication they would have made my back better...They are a temporary solution to a problem and no way to live...They mask not only pain, but your personality, morals, beliefs, life, and anything you ever cared about...

I want to be free...from this ball and chain...that has controlled my life for way to long....And I am ready to face them head on...and with all of you behind me I know I will win this battle...

Helpful - 0
Yes, me too.  I really feel that we can all do it together.  We just have to want it bad enough which I think we all do.  Good luck and god bless you norco.  Have a good nite sweetie Lil.  PS.  If you need anyone, I'll be here off and on for you tonight :)
Helpful - 0
Good for you!  I, too, have legitimate pain after a bad car accident.  I was put on oxy by the dr. and got addicted to it.  I started taking more and more and my life went to hell in a handbag.  But I quit over 30 days ago from 180 of the oxy's a month, 80 ER tablets and I ate them all up in 2 weeks.  I too could never taper so I had to go c/t.  It's miserable in the beginning but so worth it!  And when it gets better, it gets way better.  
Good luck to you,
Yoda
Helpful - 0
I wish you the best of luck.  I'm on my 13th day.  I wish I could say it's easy but it's not.  I'm a 36 year old with hubby and 3 children and I thought it was gettin' better but I'm slippin' a little.  I guess I'm lettin' my mental addiction get the best of me.  But try to keep busy, it has been helpin' alot.  I wish you the best and I'll be praying for ya!!! Take care Lil.
Helpful - 0
Great decision to make after so many years on drugs - and if you have tried before you know what to expect, and maybe that will make it easier. Good luck and keep posting.
Minnie
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.