Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

worried about addiction/withdrawals tapering question

Hi everyone. New to the boards, and while I've read quite a few inspirational stories, and can probably say most are worse than mine in the sense that I'm not quite at that level yet, thats why I'm posting- because I dont want it to go any further.

Little history on me, former Sergeant in the Marine Corps, former jock, former hardass, brought back down to earth by some back problems that I thoroughly intend to work through without the help of self medicating. Problem is, for a while it was so bad, the medication was justified.

As luck would have it, about a year ago, my brother in law (my sisters husband of four months) was murdered in an attempted robbery. This did not help my situation, and on top of my doctor prescribing Cymbalta (whole nother story, horrible w/d's and side effects) I was taking Lortabs/Norco for the pain, both physical and emotional. Sad, but true. Outwardly, I'm who everyone leans on. Inside, I was in pain just like everyone else.

I'm at the tail end of a script of 100 Norco and am down to about 6. I was at 6 a day or thereabouts for a while, and today, cut back to about 3.5, and while it was somewhat unpleasant, definitely wasnt the full on w/d's I can expect (quit once before). My question is- is there a good way to taper w the six I have left over the course of the next 5 days? Read somewhere to taper by 10% a day but this would be substantially more drastic. Maybe taking a half or a third (theyre 10/325's) over the course of a day, maybe 3 times then cut it by alittle more each day? I figure this way while there isnt ALOT in my system, theres at least a small amt. I dont know that I could go to my doctor as at one point she stopped prescribing me meds to ensure I wouldnt become dependant, and I then ordered online, so in a sense I feel like I betrayed her and I like her alot, and hate for her to thnk less of me- plus, I'm not sure what she could do, if anything , to help.
Anyways, in closing, thanks for all of the inspirational words/stories, and I have a feeling I'll be visiting quite often in a few days time.

Scott
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I was told that online pain killers can be lethal. You never know what you are getting. Have you taken them?
Helpful - 0
Manonfire is right, there really isn't an easy way.  It is a difficult thing to do.  Most importantly, you must want to do it!  The good news is w/d's don't last forever.  I am on day 6 and I can't complain.  You sound like a strong person and that will definitely work to your advantage.  However, don't be afraid to lean on people either here or your friends and family.
I always tell people if I can do it, anyone can.  That seems like a pretty general statement at face value, but I am not that tough.  I had a horrible time during w/d's, worst thing I have ever been through in my life (which in a strange way is a blessing).  
Also, there are things you can do to make yourself more comfortable such as:
vitamins
immodium ad
tylenol/ibuprofin
gatorade/water (lots!)
Try to eat something...maybe soup, which can be easier to swallow (literally)
Starting an antidepressant can be very helpful, especially if you are already prone to anxiety and/or depression.  
Also, if you have acces, a detox nurse or outpatient detox is nice b/c they can give you meds that will make you significantly more comfortable.  Also, sleeping is usually the main ongoing challenge and I would recommend an OTC sleep aid or prescription, depending on your access to health care.  
Good luck!
Julie
Helpful - 0
I wish you the best with your quest.  My b/f is on day 8 c/t from lots of things including lortabs.
He tried many things to stop before this last (and hopefully final attempt) When he was trying to taper he said having a little bit was worse than having none.. it was like a tease.
You'll just have to try it and see.
Keep posting here though, we'll try our best to help you through this!
Helpful - 0
I got a lot of insight from a post from Sterling_Silver. It is about Dr. Sarno. I think you are in the right place mentally to read it. Actually, you can go to

www.tarpityoga.com/tmg.html

And you can read a lot more than Dr Sarno's website about his books. But I'd goggle Ending back pain, Sarno first and read the prelim's. I know what it is like having to be the tough guy, and be a mess inside. Stick with the good posts, and avoid drama here. I posted a note a ways down to new members and old on the folks that have helped me the most. My story is down there too. Keep strong, cut those damnn things into tiny little chunks to taper if you have to. There isn't any easy way. I'll pull for you!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.