Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
192332 tn?1189755828

Aging and Drugs

Hello all!I was just looking at the jail roster inmate listing where i live. I was trying to find a old friend on there i heard got busted with oxys.I could not believe my eyes when i saw his pic.i havent seen him in about 16 years.We are the same age he is 41 and i am 42.he looks like he is 51.it really bothered me.i heard about 10 years ago he had a drug problem but back then i thought so does everyone.LOL.NO! this is not funny he was a very good friend of mine since we were 16 years old.when i saw his pic i showed it to my wife.she knew him too.we both almost lost it.I asked her do i look that bad and she said no you have always looked younger than you are.I hope she was being truthful.My point is how much of a toll drugs take on us both mentally and physically without us even knowing it.just a thought.I think i will go look in the mirror again.Peace and i hope everyone is ok............Bruce
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
190466 tn?1215884854
when i used to run script drs in houston i would look at all the people in those places and think to myself these people are killing theirselves. I thought back then i was in control and i would never let myself be controlled like them, look at me now. I see the gray in my gotee and wonder where the time has gone.But today i can look at myself in the mirror and be proud at what i see. good thing i decided i quit when i did. congrats to you for hanging in there. Hope and Prayers Clay TX
Helpful - 0
OK lets be a little easier on the 51 OLD PART !! LOL
you are very correct,I was looking at pictures of my wife from only 4 years ago,she had the clearest skin,beautiful smile,just a glow about her, NOW I look at her she has sores on her face and back from picking,her skin looks loose and aged,her eyes that were once so beautiful are now empty,it does not even look like her,what hurts the worst is most addicts dont even see it!
Helpful - 0
I wander if your friend could have also been on methamphetamine?  I have noticed how people really age when they are doing that, their skin, teeth, and everything. Of course, I would think if that were the case, he would probably look more than 10 years older.  In any case, on top of the drugs, he has probably really not been taking care of himself in regards to sleep, food intake, etc.  You never know.
Helpful - 0
its a combo of things when people are really out to lunch they don't take care of themselves ie eat probably etc.  I know people who take drugs for legit reasons like my aunt and she looks great for her age , she takes them for pain and doesn't abuse.  plus she has a great life I think it depends on the drug cystal meth is the worst it ages people big time but look what its made out of why would anyone what to do that drug.  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.