Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

CATUF

Your post made me think back to my favorite place to vacation. My husband and I stay at a beach house in Hunting Island every summer. When you mentioned Paris Island....my mind immediately went to the drive to Hunting. When I see the sign for Paris Island, I get butterflys in my stomach because we are almost there. SC is the most beautiful state and I plan on moving there someday. The only thing I don't like are the AWFUL little black lovebugs :0). I never saw so many bugs in one place at a time and was thankful they don't bite or sting. Thanks for putting that memory in my mind (In my mind I'm going to Carolina). I hope you have a super weekend!!

Always,
Mariyah
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
52704 tn?1387020797
Yea . . . we're actually going to a friend's place on Fripp, but we drive right past Hunting Island.  We went to the light house there last year and the whole island is just BEAUTIFUL.  I think most of Hunting Island would have looked the same if you went there 200 years ago.

You can know that someone will be thinking of you about 12 hours from now as the drive across Hunting Island.

Helpful - 0
Oh how I wish I was with you!!!  We can see Fripp from the house. I love the restaurant "Steamers" in Beaufort...They have the best margueritas and food. Please take me with you!!!! :0)
Helpful - 0
52704 tn?1387020797
Well, I shall take my "peeps" to Steamers!  

Besides for getting to Parris Island, I'll be going into Beaufort frequently for the 5:30 AA meeting at "the Meeting Place," 1600 Washington Street.  It's an AA-owned building where they have at least 3 meetings every day - 4 on Tuesday and Wednesday.  

You know, I'm sure I would be fine going to the beach for a week and not going to any meetings.  It's been quite some time since I felt like I NEEDED a meeting - but still I go to 5 or 6 a week here at home.

It's like my Recovery is a road with deep and dangerous ditches on either side.  As my Recovery grows stronger, that road grows ever wider.  Thus, I have more room on either side of center before I might hit a ditch, which would clearly be trouble.  

I would not hit a ditch in a week without meetings.  But my life is no longer about staying out of the ditch.  My life is about staying in the center of the road.  It's not too difficult to stay in the center - once you get there - and if I stay in the center of an ever-widening road, the ditch is something rarley threatens.  

To many this may seem like a far too prudent safety zone.  I don't think so.  On the road of Recovery I have encountered wholly unexpected hairpin turns that were hidden by the crest of a hill.  Hazards that were challenging, but not dangerous if I was in the center when I hit them.

Even before addiction I lived my life on the edge.  I took everything to the limit and I always beat the odds - hell, I was pretty damn sure that the odds didn't apply to me.  Odds, like rules of any sort, were made for lesser mortals who needed them - not me!

It might seem that life in the middle of the road would be dull and boring for someone that lived on the edge.  It's not.  I have discovered a deep richness in the world and in people that I suppose I was simply too busy (and too arrogant) to appreciate as I spent all my time unnecessarily defying the odds.

Well, I don't know who I got off on this tangent, but I gotta get going................. I'm now late as a pig!
Helpful - 0
If you go to Steamers please let me know how you liked it. It is a very casual place and friendly. :0)
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the  post CATUF.  Lots to think about...makes sense.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.