Aa
A
A
A
Close

How long does the depression last after opiates

Hello All

thank you for the comments posted on 4/11 to this question. they are helpful

I am still debating the use of antidepressents for the depression after effects of pharamaceutical opiates(any pain medication, i used them all).

DO you think its better to wait it out if possible or should I go to antidepressents?

And what is the best antidepressent out there? Is there a new one that i might not know of as I believe i dislike them all?

The main reason that i am tempted to using antidep is because for 5 years I would use opiates to achieve happiness, and also to feel like a champ.
If i used them for that long, surely I can try an antideppresent
Also, one more question. How much damage is done to the brain and will it return to normal? I know this question varies but any advice helps

thank you all
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
don't worry about the brain damage what good does that do people drink booze and it causes way more damage.  go on the antidepressants I have been on them for 8 years and will never go off I am happy most of the time and I"m not stoned all the time either.  drugs change your brain chemstry and you never go back like a normoid.  I love my celexa  my happy pill works  and its good for memopause too so i'm set for life I feel   like a different person on them and the rest of the world doesn't have to suffer along with my depression also.. everyone should be on them I'd like to slip some in my hubby's coffee daily he a grump but he doesn't affect me. I'm happy.
Helpful - 0
176495 tn?1301280412
I've given up on celexa as my depression seems to be getting worse.  Doc is easing me off them and on to Zoloft.  Over the weekend I had a sudden onset of depression/crying that lasted for about an hour..could not stop.  I'm a 56 year old male with a 6- 7/day 750 vic habit (and an occasional 20mg oxy).  

Jim
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
hello!i am like 30* or so days c/t.I finally broke down to see my doc about depression and anxiety and sleep problems.found out i have extremly high blood pressure too.wasn't ready for that one.He put me on zoloft today.I have never taken anti before.have you.if so which one? I have been depressed for a long time so i figured i will treat it with a doctors advise instead of my self medicating skills.IE pills and alcohol.Let me know how it goes ok?.......Bruce
Helpful - 0
176495 tn?1301280412
Antidepressants are strange as it may take a while to find the right one for YOU.  and what works for YOU might not work for me.  I know people who think welbutrin is the greatest think since sliced bread.  On the other hand, I've known people who took some
serious negative turns when on it (my wife included) to the point I almost had her hospitilized.  My doctor started me on Celexa which does not seem to be doing the trick and now has me on zoloft.  It's hard to say what is going to work for who without trying
them and staying in touch with your doctor.

Good luck.  Depression is no fun.  If anything, it's taught me just how bad my wife's
depression has been and led me to take it much more seriously.  Even our kids are
now seeing that it's not something one can turn on and off like a switch.

Jim
Helpful - 0
I am still researching which anti dep is the best. I have not tried them.
I am on day 33 of my vicodin, oxys. norcos, and type of pharmaceuticals I could get
The depression is becoming better but still bad, just not as bad as last week
I have social anxiety pretty bad though. Ive been avoiding friends that ive beem knowing forever, yet, i get up and go to work and interact with complete strangers.
I try the self help philosophy as well, Using vitamins and stuff. I havent exercised yet but I plan on doing so
I CANT REMBER WHAT NORMAL FEELS LIKE
Its a scary thought. I try to rationalize these thoughts and make sense and its working somewhat

I dont think i can deal with the side effects of antidep. I HAVE to see how i feel after another month, i have to, if im still laying on my sofa not speaking to anyone, like a zombie, just me and my dog, avoiding everything that I used to love doiing, then i will seek help with meds

Do i tell the doctor that ive been off of opiates for X amount of time. Wont he want to just throw me in a rehab
Helpful - 0
192332 tn?1189755828
I didn't tell my doc about my addiction.I am like 32 days with no scripts.I just told him my symptoms and he rx me what he thought i should try.plus i found out i hav high blood pressure too.Take Care.....................Bruce
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.