Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Buprenex Taper Schedule

Hi there.  I have been taking buprenex for about 6 months.  I need to taper down because I am having surgery for another reason.  I will require other pain mediations at that time and I understand the buprenex will interfere with the effectiveness of other opiates.  I am currently taking only 2mgs per day.  MY surgery is in 3 weeks.  Any advice on a taper schedule would be great.  Thanks in advance.
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you for your input. It is appreciated.  I am not concerned about withdrawals . I know that is only possible going from another opiate to the bupe.  also to clarify, I am taking straight buprenorphine, no naloxone in the mix.  I am taking 2mgs. daily- not a whole lot. My concern is that the bupe has the high affinity for binding AND has a long half life.  For instance, I was on a similar dose, stopped about 24hrs ago, had a root canal, and it took a BUNCH of vicodin to get any relief.  I do not want to have the same situation after this surgery.  If I should taper, how should I do it. My doc hasnt' been very helpful in the area. Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
I thought so too. I thought it was the ability of the bupe to bind to the receptors before anything else could get to them.  As I understand it has a half life of 36 hours.  So i'm wondering if 24 hours might be cutting it close. Maybe I don't need to taper for the entire three weeks but just for the last couple of days??
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
if so and so was hooked on bupe and that person decided to mix some other opiate  on top of bupe with its mixed agonist/antagonist actions they would feel no adverse reaction.no precipitated wd via this route.caution needs to b applied when done in reverse ie opiate to a bupe addict.bupe without narcan in addition to another opiate will get u smashed(even with mixd agonist/antagonist effect.bupe given to a heavy opiate addict will precipitate wd whetheq suboxone or subutex.
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
buprenorphine is a mixed agonist/antagonists and it has phsycoactive affinity for 2 of the 3 endorphine receptor sites(at therapeutic doses).naloxone is a full agonist and has a non phsycoactive affinity with all three. endorphine receptor sites.these are the delta,kappa and mu receptors.bc the naloxone in bupe is tiny and it has a poor oral bioavalability it is unlikely after a few hours to hav ne substantial blocking effect on other opiates.
regards J
Helpful - 0
It was definitely the thought that counts and the support is always helpful.  It always helps me just to hear a response sometimes it doesn't matter what the response is, it's just nice to know that someone cares enough to post back.  Take care and god bless u, Lil.
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
please disregard my comments.i honestly think dtoxing off of the 4mgs of bupe is the best option if u want adequate pain relief after yr surgery.bupe antagonist properties can b overridden with enuff opioids but this is unsafe and ill advised.its possible since yr on a low dose that they may even use higher doses of subutex to treat yr pain.talk with a doc.this is best.i wish i could dlete my other posts.good luck
regards J

Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
bupe is a Mixed agonist/antagonist.this means that of the 3 main endorphine receptors it has a hi phsycoactive affinity with 2 of them(kappa,mu?)naloxone,a full agonist has a non phsycoactive affinity with all 3 receptors.fortunately naloxone has poor bio availability and a short(1-2)hours.so if u take these variable into accnt.of course u can feel other opiates.come on guys.research,research,research.
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
i woulnt bother tapering for 3 weeks.the naloxone in bupe is minute and is only there to prevent snorting shooting.when u stop u will feel  able to enjoy the full effects of any opioid painkiller within 24hrs usually much sooner even.so a three week taper to ensure u will recieve pain relief is unneccesary.talk with a doc about it tho but in hospitals where pain patients are routinely transfered from one opioid 2 another im sure they dont leave them hanging in pain to make sure they dont precipitate wd.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.