Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Methadone

My doctor put me on methadone today to try and help with my pain and w/d symptoms. I was taking vicodin and percocet for about a year, usually 6 a day. I took my last percocet on wednesday night. so far today i have taken 2 pills of the methadone. the doc gave me 4 a day 5mg each. does anyone know how long they take to work. i am so tired of crying in pain. i don't want to get the "high" feeling anymore. i just want to be able to walk around without screaming my head off. i could not afford the suboxone. i have no insurance. do i need to take a higher dose of the methadone?
17 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
DESERTGIRL: IT USUALLY WORKS PRETTY FAST>>>ALTHOUGHT I HAVE NOT HEARD OF METHADONE IN PILL FORM, I HAVE HOWEVER HEARD OF SUBOXIN>>>I TOOK METHADONE FOR 14 YEARS AND IT HELPEED WITH THE PAIN , BUT I HAVE GAINED WEIGHT, LOST MY TEETH AND ALOT OF MY HAIR>>>IAM NOW 1 MONTH SOBER FROM METHADONE AND I HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER>>>I GO TO THE GYM 5 TIMES A WEEK AND IAM EATING BETTER>>>>I HOPE  YOU WILL FIND A WORLD WITH OUT PAIN .
Helpful - 0
1 Comments
this post is 11yrs old...
Yes it is crazy.  I don't know much about it at all.  Don't know why docs don't prescribe it.  Hope you have a good nite and I'm here if u ever wanna talk.  Take care, Lil.  :)
Helpful - 0
Hi, i was just reading your post and i have never heard of methadone untill now, from what i understand it's supposed to help pain and be less addictive? and help with withdrawls from other pain meds? i wonder why doctors don't give patients that to begin with so you don't become real addicted to the other pain meds ? seems kinda crazy doesn't it?
Helpful - 0
Yes, I took one time cuz a friend had some and I was out... I'm also what you would call a trashcan addict lol... and it got me really high and it lasts for a longgggg timeeee.... so be very careful sweetie.  I don't know about everyone else but I thought I would share my one time experience with you.  Take care and good luck Lil. :)
Helpful - 0
thanks to everyone who responded, i am starting to feel a little something now, not completely but something. i think i will stay at 20mgs everyday. i am too scared now to take anymore. should i be taking the 5mgs 4 X a day or the 20mgs all at once everyday?
Helpful - 0
182493 tn?1348052915
it can make you high it just builds up alot slower.. hence the careful warnings from everyone..
Helpful - 0
Methadone is nasty stuff, hard to w/d from. Before you up your dose, try to stay @ 20mgs a day, give it time. Then try to taper down soon. Don't get hooked on methadone, you will regret it later. You said you were taking 6 vics or percs a day. Were they 5mgs or 10mgs?

Be careful with methadone!!!!!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
they were 10mgs @ day
Helpful - 0
thanks for responding! i have so many questions about this stuff, i took two more so now i am up to 20 mgs, i will go and take two more. if this stuff isn't supposed to make you high how come it's addictive? all i am trying to do is get rid of pain? i hope your still there....
Helpful - 0
I am W/ding from that **** right now and its not pretty, i am at work and i dont want to be , i feel like hell and yes u can get high from methadone very high, and then you feel like poop like me
Helpful - 0
185545 tn?1331074866
there is a simple test thats done called a peak and trough.the peak is recognised as occuring 4 hrs after dosing.the trough is measured just b4 u take that days dose(assuming u r dosed once daily)yr peak should b twice the value of the trough.the smaller the variation the stabler u should feel.unfortunately this test cant distinguish btween active and inactive isonomers.it may detect 200ng/ml but 175 of that may b inactive.mdone is a 50/50 mix of racemic(active)and(nonracemic).p@t test cant tell them apart
Helpful - 0
try to experiment with 20 mgs, then try 25 if you dont feel it. methadone had a build-up effect. so you wont need as much tomorrow. i would take the whole 20 mgs in the am. please be careful, this is strong stuff. much stronger than vics or hydro. post to us and tell us how you feel in an hour or so. dont take anymore until you wait at least 1 to 11/2 hours.
Helpful - 0
Hi read the history of methodone it quite interesting I like reading the history of drugs.  It will surprize you whence it came all the best stay on the lowest dose possible it a real slow detox getting off that.  Don't they just give it to long time junkies with not alot of hope you don't fit that bill at all dear please be careful  super careful .  I know people that will never get off and they do other drugs anyways.  I guess its better to be legally addicted. never mind the stingma.  I'm sad you went on methodone but you know whats best for you.  I think the stuff is evil and people get sucked in because its cheap like borshe.
Helpful - 0
Yes, careful. It comes on much slower than you'd think, and trust me you do not want to accidentally OD on the stuff.

--Athena
Helpful - 0
I would take the 30mgs and you will need to wait at least an hour on that it releases alot slower than u are used to . keep taking till you feel a lil something then start the taper. but be careful , I ( as we speak) am w/ding from methadone and its a bad boy , be careful of the addict inside you it will make u do stupid things
Helpful - 0
i just called the doc office to see what he wants me to do because he counts my pills, hopefully he will let me up my dosage.

Helpful - 0
i would start out at 30 mgs, especially if you are experiencing w/d symptoms.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.