Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Lizzie Lou

I just read your letter to my husband.  Thank you for sharing.  It's funny, because I had just asked my husband yesterday morning, if he realized what this has done to me and our son.  Up until a few weeks ago, I was a full-time working mother.  We were blessed with the opportunity for me to change careers and take my time to find something more suitable for our family....Within the last couple of weeks I saw the torment my husband had been going through.  We worked opposite shifts so I was never in his physical presence.  He finally came to me two weeks ago and "fessed up" to just how deep he had gotten into pain meds.  God works in mysterious ways....I knew there was a reason for this change in my life (career) now I see that I am here for my husband.  It is so hard to watch the ones you love destroy themselves.  I had been running myself ragged trying to keep everything "normal" in our home.  He finally realized just what a strain all of this has put on me. I had a high profile position, an 11 year old son, a husband who was "lost", housework, etc., etc.,..I think we are on our way out now.  He has not had a pain pill since 6:00 Thursday evening.  I am so proud of him...It will be a long road but we can travel it once we move the obstacles.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
186166 tn?1385259382
i guess you have also read that i am not an addict...just here to help myself try to understand the "hows and whys" of addiction.  it is so hard for someone who is not an addict to understand these two words...how and why.  everyone here has been very supportive of me being here...and i appreciate it so much.  i try to also let them see the "other side" of addiction...what it does to those they love...whether it be a spouse, parents, or most importantly their children.

i remember the first time i posted  here...and alot of the oldies will too.  i was reading a post and a lady said that she felt she was a better mother to her children when she was high...OMG...that set me off...and we battled full steam ahead. (hehe)...and not only from her...but from most of the "addicted moms" here on the forum...talk about a gang rape...boy did i hit a nerve...lol.   but the same women that i battled it out with, i now call friends.  strange how things work out, isn't it?

i am so glad that you are supportive of your husband...he needs that now more than ever.  i have stated this before but i'll do it again...just be sure that you always support his recovery and not his addiction.  it is so easy for us to enable the ones we love the most...and there is a fine line between the two.  that being said, make sure that you stand by your man and never give up on him as long as he is making the effort and fighting that demon himself.

huggs,
kim
Helpful - 0
Yes, you are absolutely right..It is very easy to enable them because you can't stand to see them suffer.  Fortunately, he has decided on his own that he wants out.  It is truely something you can only do for yourself.  In the past, when I would try to address it with him, I felt like I was battling Lucifer himself.  I knew that it wasn't my husband.  I knew that one day he would come back.  He now is on his way.  This  forum has been so helpful these last few days.  It helps to understand from the other side.  Most people here have been so inspirational.  
Helpful - 0
Luvs, you are a wonderful person!!  It's so nice that you are supporting your husband.  My husband does the same for me and I'm so blessed and lucky too.  Alot of spouses would look at it as "omg my spouse is a junkie" and get out of the marriage but you and my hubby are angel sent.  I don't know about your hubby but I have gotten alot of my feelings back.  I slipped up and (Wednesday and Friday I think it was, I took 5 :(  ) started taking 2 pills a day (with my hubby's help, he hides them and gives me one in the morning, one at nite) but I went 13 days without a pill a couple of weeks back and it was like we fell in love all over again.  I wanna spend every minute with him now.  We do things together again.  Before I didn't want to do anything.  Now we go places with the kids and it feels great!!!  

I bet he is so thankful that you were by his side while he was doing this.  He might not've been able to do it without you... give yourself a pat on the back.  You truly helped him tremendously!!!  I'll be praying and thinking of ya'll tonight.  I hope you both have a restful great sleep and a good nite.  Take care and god bless, Lil.  :)  

PS.  Tell your hubby that I'm so proud of him.  He's got the physical part almost licked... now it's all up to the mental part.  Keep him very busy, does he like fishing?  OMG fishing is soooo relaxing and it takes your mind off of the little devils (pills not kids lol)for hours lol.  The more he gets outta the house now the better.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Addiction: Substance Abuse Community

Top Addiction Answerers
495284 tn?1333894042
City of Dominatrix, MN
phoenix, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Julia Aharonov, DO, reveals the quickest way to beat drug withdrawal.
Tricks to help you quit for good.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.